Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Jan 19th, 2007 lost 30lbs so far!

Hi everyone,

I was MVP of our high school soccer team and lettered in basketball and track, after getting into lifting weights in college I was a very solid 5’9” 190 in my prime.

Marriage, kids, business, 15 years of ice cream and bad carbs, I slowly gained 100 lbs....

Once I got to 295 I got seriously scared and got back down in the 250's, but I just couldn’t stay disciplined in my eating. After my car accident I hurt my back. Most of the last 6 years I’ve been around 270-295. It’s difficult to work out when you are constantly hurting or straining something with the extra weight on.

I was an expert skier in high college, but I couldn’t even make it down the slope without being exhausted, let alone fit in my snow suit. I got tired of exhaling to tie my shoes, cringing at my profile in windows. You know what I mean. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but when I was younger I never thought I’d be one of those “fat” people.

I ate the way I wanted for 40 years, for the next 40 I will eat the way I'm supposed to!

I made the decision to be banded Jan 19th, 2007 by Dr Tersigni in N Bend Oregon. I weighed 289 that day. It cost $10,000.

Recovered pretty well. I Needed pain pills for the first 5 days of recovery, then with the exception of occasional sharp pains I was able to cope without the pain pills. Listen though if your in pain, take them… Heat pad or electric blanket will really help sooth the pain.

The only weird thing that happened was the first night my diaphragm muscles found the band, and whenever I’d try to sleep they would contract like a huge hick up. It really hurt… the second day my Doc told me to take valium, it really helped my muscles relax and the hick ups stopped. Thank God!

Over the last 3 weeks I have been on a mostly liquid diet.< /span>

I eat (drink) 90 grams of Protein per day.

My daily eating consists of

WATER: 64 oz of Water no matter what! I've gotten up in the middle of the night when I forgot to drink what I need.

3oz of oatmeal or cream of wheat grueled down with skim milk. I mix 15 grams of powdered vanilla Protein Drink into it.

I drink a lot of tea with splenda and skim milk in it. It really helps sooth my stomach.

I drink 1 can of V8 per day, or blend my own cooked vege’s (carrots, green Beans, peas)

I like Isopure, Micellar Milk, or Profecta Protein Drinks and sip it throughout the day, usually get about 40 grams this way.

My wife made me a big pot of split pea Soup and bean soup – I water

down 3 oz and it really fills me up. I’ll have this usually twice a day.

I will also have 3oz of low fat yogurt mixed with 10 grams of vanilla protein drink.

I religiously take my Vitamins, chewable C’s, Calcium, and multiples. The nutritionist scared me bad about hair loss!

For treats a sugar free popsicle

It’s amazing how I eat and feel full. I can’t believe how well it is working. I eat 3 oz 5x per day and I feel full. The slower I eat the fuller I feel. Stay consistant in your eating or you will get hungry.

At the end of the third week I have dropped from 289 to 259! 30 pounds!

When I would go to Outback steak house I’d eat 5 pieces of bread, soup, salad, a bloomin’ onion, 20 oz prime rib, and potato. And why can’t I loose weight?

Now I eat 3 oz of food and I’m full, the weight is falling off. Last night we went to dinner I slowly chewed a little piece of salmon and some soup felt full, no temptation to try to eat more.

In closing it would be fun to know who else was banded Jan 19th, 2007 to compare notes with.

If you are wondering if you should take a chance and get this done… DO IT!

I am hoping to be banded this summer. It sounds like yours is working great! May I ask you some questions?

How long after you made the decision to be banded, until you actually were banded?

Did you have doubts in between?

What all testing was required and did insurance cover your surgery?

Thanks,

Kris

Man I know that men loose weight faster but you have me beat big time. I was banded on the 19th and am at 12 lbs. I am on regular food now just WAY less. It is amazing to see what I eat now and compare it to what I did eat. I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday. I always finish first, eat more, drink several glasses of tea or Water and have to wait for her to finish and get a to go bag. Well it was my turn yesterday. It was a 45 min lunch, I had to stop twice to let food get down and brought a doggie bag home for dinner last night and tonight!!!!!!!!!! Also I did not drink anything but a sip before and before we left. Talk about a shock.

I walk at least 20 min a day and have started with a personal trainer. I thought that if I was going to pay that kind of $$ for the surgery that I needed to work out and have help getting started. I go and get my first fill on the 19th of Feb. I hope to start seeing a larger drop in the #'s.

Congrats on the 30#'s:biggrin1: . That is GREAT.:clap2:

Rene'

I'm going to be banded on the 22nd of Feb, 11 days from now!!! It was great reading about your experience, I am so scared and apprehensive. I was wondering what most people eat during the first few weeks, that really helped. I live in Oregon and am going to Mexico for surgery. If I would have known about Dr. Tersigi I would have went there instead, it's about the same price that I'm paying. I would have avoided airline tickets. Do you know of any support groups in the Portland area?

I am hoping to be banded this summer. It sounds like yours is working great! May I ask you some questions?

How long after you made the decision to be banded, until you actually were banded?

Did you hvae doubts in between?

What all testing was required and did insurance cover your surgery?

Thanks,

Kris

I originally was going to be banded Feb of 06. Took me 9 months to get up the nerve to go through with it. I changed my surgery date 5x.

Most insurance will only cover complications, you’ll have to call them. I needed a EKG and blood test forget which ones. Insurance covered that by getting my primary Dr to give me a physical and run the tests. Also they want you to meet with a shrink.

They also require you meet with a nutritionist before the surgery, this was very helpful. It costs $300 and she is available by cell phone anytime you need her.

In hind site I wish I just would’ve done it last year. Could’ve been lookin’ really good by now!

Don't hesitate it really works...

Man I know that men loose weight faster but you have me beat big time. I was banded on the 19th and am at 12 lbs. I am on regular food now just WAY less. It is amazing to see what I eat now and compare it to what I did eat. I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday. I always finish first, eat more, drink several glasses of tea or Water and have to wait for her to finish and get a to go bag. Well it was my turn yesterday. It was a 45 min lunch, I had to stop twice to let food get down and brought a doggie bag home for dinner last night and tonight!!!!!!!!!! Also I did not drink anything but a sip before and before we left. Talk about a shock.

I walk at least 20 min a day and have started with a personal trainer. I thought that if I was going to pay that kind of $$ for the surgery that I needed to work out and have help getting started. I go and get my first fill on the 19th of Feb. I hope to start seeing a larger drop in the #'s.

Congrats on the 30#'s:biggrin1: . That is GREAT.:clap2:

Rene'

Fun isn't it? My Dr wanted me on liquids for 4 weeks. helps the band settle down and you cant stretch it out while it's healing.

I actually haven't started walking til today. My port feels like it finally settled down and doesn't hurt anymore.

I may tell the Dr not to give me a fill until I stop loosing weight

I'm going to be banded on the 22nd of Feb, 11 days from now!!! It was great reading about your experience, I am so scared and apprehensive. I was wondering what most people eat during the first few weeks, that really helped. I live in Oregon and am going to Mexico for surgery. If I would have known about Dr. Tersigi I would have went there instead, it's about the same price that I'm paying. I would have avoided airline tickets. Do you know of any support groups in the Portland area?

I was really scared to go out of the county. Frankly the thought of flying after surgery didn’t appeal to me either. Also getting the fill adjusted is quite a trip, my mom had it done and goes to N Bend every couple of months to adjust her fill... You might consider changing your mind.

Of course others have done it in Mexico, I'm sure you'll be fine, take some meds and you wont even remember the flight, lol

There are support groups up there, Dr Tersigni's office knows how to reach them. google his name and you will get his site.

Dina - Would love to talk - I am planning on going to Mexico also - insurance won't cover the band. Are you nervous? I am - I hope they give good pain pills.

I just found out about this board last night - 14 so far I think. I'm on the road a lot so not always able to check. I go back in two weeks or so for a fill so I'll know more then. Tried to get him to "fill" early but he just laughed at me!

You're doing fantastic!!! I got so used to how easy it was to do liquids, I'm not that great at the solids yet... How are you doing with that part?

I was banded 1/18/07 - just a day before you!

Congratulations, your doing great!

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico on Feb. 9th and I am feeling great!! I was banded on Friday and back at work on Monday. I only feel some slight pain at my port site but don't have to take any pain pills. I didn't have any gas pain in my shoulder either. Saturday after surgery, my sister and I went shopping in Mexico. I felt great! I love Dr. Ortiz and everyone at the Obesity Control Center there in Mexico. I was nervous about it at first but he is highly qualified and has performed over 4000 lap band procedures. He even wrote a book called "Lapband For Life".

The post op diet is going fine to me but I would like to start adding some Protein powder to my creamy foods. I bought some Iso Pure (Grape flavored) but it is horrible. Which flavor is best???

Dr. Ortiz charges $8,500 for the surgery and this includes your hotel stay for three nights at Lucerna (nice hotel). I flew into San Deigo on Thursday night and they sent a driver to me up and take me across the border. My sister was with me and there were two other girls from California in the van too. It was not scary at all!!! They drove us back to the airport on Sunday. There were six of us being banded that day. 3 women from California, 1 man from Florida, 1 man from Oregon and me from Oklahoma city. I would do it over again in a heart beat. They were fantastic! I don't have one negative thing to say about the whole experience.

You should research his clinic at www.obesitycontrolcenter.com and you can check out his lapband forum at www.lapbandforum.com I am sure that you will be amazed with everyone's positive experience at this clinic. I read the message boards for 3 months before I decided to go there.

I am really loving this band. I get full so fast and I really feel that the future is going to be BRIGHT!!!