Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 60. Anyone else over 50 doing RNY?

I'm noticing more young women getting surgery. I'm wondering if anyone else had it in 50 or 60s and how you did?

I'm 56 and scheduled for surgery 2/28/13.

So thus far I'm the oldest? Wow.

I'm noticing more young women getting surgery. I'm wondering if anyone else had it in 50 or 60s and how you did?

Almost there. 48 years old. Down 50 lbs in 6 weeks.

Mostly young women getting this procedure, but it is working for me.

I think there is some other ladies around this age too. I think old hippy gal is and she's had her surgery now.

Hi Pam! I'm going to be 56 this year and I'm having surgery on march 25th. I asked my dr. If Im to old (that's what my husbands says) and the dr said no. He's done it on people much much older than us and would still recommend it to me if I was 10 years older. He says ill say I should have done it 10 years ago and I'll feel much younger.. I hope because I take care of my 2 grandchildren 2 and 4 years old they live with me. At the end of the day like right now I'm tired. I just want to move better and I really do want to look better i hate how I look and of course the health benefits. I just hope I'm feeling good soon after, I only have a plan for the first week I'm home my daughter will take off of work. Can people tell more what its like those 2-3 weeks , are you sick? Do you just want to lay? Can you move about easily? I hear your just exhausted is that true? What would you suggest for me. And that's if I have no complications. Any info is appreciated.

Haven't had my GB yet Feb 14 everyone different but you need to be up moving around and walking just no lifting I also take care of my grandchildren 13-12-7-5 a little older but still a handful they keep you busy they also live with me along with there mom & dad she's my daughter she works but she he and can help me. I think if you go into this thinking positive and that you can do it god willing you will just remember take it easy but walk listen to your dr and nutritionist get your Protein and Water those are the most important Where do you live I'm in Lilburn Ga

Maybe I am the oldest! I'm 63 and had surgery 12-10-12. I actually had revision from band to RNY and had a few complications with the band removal, but even so I was only in the hospital for 4 days. A week after I was released I went to a Christmas party at work. I couldn't eat anything but was glad I went even though I was really tired afterward. I worked off and on during the holidays and went back full time on January 2. I've lost abt 36 lbs. not a lot compared to some but I'm happy I took this step.

BTW, there is a forum called something like age specific GBS or something like that. It hasn't been very active but u might want to check it out and post there. I'm subscribed to it.

Good luck! Stay in touch.

Thanks ladies. Is age specific on here? Guess ill have to check! Btw I had a friend get it over a year ago and she said she was pretty much fine after first week or two. She stayed home longer just to make sure she had the eating thing down right. She weighed 380 and is now 210 in just over a year.

Yes, it's under " gastric bypass surgery support" and then "age specific"

Hi! I am 60 and will be having band to RnY on 3/13. My grandson is 11 and my granddaughter is 9. They will appreciate a grandma that will be able to do more physical things with them.

I will also add that as soon as I am feeling well enough after the RnY, I have to have a total left hip revision as the rod in my femur never adhered and has been loose for two years and hurts. This revision is 3 times worse than the original and I will be hobbling on a walker for quite some time. My goal is to be able to walk well and be down a decent amount by July.

Great! Sounds like you are committed to a very healthier you! Congrats.