Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will pray for you all, here I am worrying about getting to my goal weight, I need to be thankful I had no big complication. I'm only 8.5 months out and I do worry about my teeth, I have beautiful teeth, almost perfect, no cavities and I'll be 44 this summer. Someone who had RNY many years ago told me to never stop taking my Vitamins, that this is key, that's why I try to stock up on vitamins even when I don't need any.

I am due to have RnY in march and I am now very discouraged and terrified after reading this forum.

I am due to have RnY in march and I am now very discouraged and terrified after reading this forum.

Dont be terrified, there are way more success stories than horror stories, as long as you follow the plan you will be fine. I don't think this forum is to scare you, it's to make sure you know the good and the bad, remember, everyone is different.

Wow very informative and it really helps the people who are having complications to know others are having them also. The thought of having to revise to another surgery is not something I am willing to do. When you are basically a newbie you never want to think these things could happen to you that's just normal and let's hope it never does but these things happen to people who follow the rules so don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Also nots everyone who is suffering with this basic feeling of not thriving are not all underweight. You can have this and still not be at goal as most bypass patients do gain back a percentage of their weight back it's just normal.

Having chronic fatigue and daily multiple headaches and stomach pain and fevers are not what I expected after 3.5 years post op but it is now my reality

Good luck to all of us who now suffer with complications, brandy

Thanks for the info I will look into it. Right now I'm experimenting with removing gluten and now dairy from my diet which is not easy for me but until I get a diagnosis from my doctor I might as well try something and see if it helps, take care, Brandy.

MBrock, I know it's been a while now since your reversal/take down, but just wanting to know how you're doing? have you at least gotten some of your energy and health back?

here's to hoping that you have and that you are now starting to enjoy life once again.

All the best M

MBrock, I know it's been a while now since your reversal/take down, but just wanting to know how you're doing? have you at least gotten some of your energy and health back?

here's to hoping that you have and that you are now starting to enjoy life once again.

All the best M

Hi, M!

Thank you for asking. I usually don't even open the e-mails from the WLS sites anymore, but for some reason I opened yours :-)

I'm doing better. I'm finally gaining weight so now the fear of being "huge" again is scary. I still love food . Unfortunately, I've come to realize that one addiction leads to another. If you don't figure out why you over eat in the first place , have this surgery it's not uncommon that we substitute food for something else . My late brother in law , same surgery, Sam ages and had surgery one year after me found alcohol which damage his kidneys more and costs him his life. I turned to drugs. Thank goodness I got caught. I actually came out on my own. What a relief. It almost cost my marriage, my family, my kids . I've lost so many cars from wrecks. My husband left me. We are working on saving our marriage. So far it's going well, but it hasn't been long. But I'm determined and have a wonderful support system. My parents and older sister have been my ROCK. I WOULD NOT BE HERE IF IT WEREN'T FOR THEM. I was at my breaking point but no one knew. Suicide was ALWAYS on the brain.

Lost all self esteem , due to my on going dental issues. Missing most teeth when I use to beautiful teeth. I wouldn't look in the mirror even while putting on make up or brushing my teeth. Much less want to talk to ANYONE. Which led to wanting more drugs.

Luckily, I have the MOST INCREDIBLE PARENTS. I'm over coming having all my rotten teeth pulled and dentures made THANKS all to my mom and dad. They are a HUGE BLESSING.

I appreciate you asking . That was nice. Made me think maybe my story can help just one person and that I should keep up with this more. Especially since my REAL story doesn't end just at the take down surgery. There's more complications that go on that are hidden very well from some some. It's a very dark and lonely place.

Again, thanks.

Michelle

*SORRY FOR POSTING THE SAME PICTURE OVER AND OVER, IT KEPT SAYING IT CRASHED SO I DIDN'T THINK IT DOWNLOADED!

post-186833-0-01627100-1397243166_thumb.jpg

post-186833-0-41332000-1397243288_thumb.jpg

post-186833-0-48860700-1397243358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mbrock

Hi, M!

Thank you for asking. I usually don't even open the e-mails from the WLS sites anymore, but for some reason I opened yours :-)

I'm doing better. I'm finally gaining weight so now the fear of being "huge" again is scary. I still love food . Unfortunately, I've come to realize that one addiction leads to another. If you don't figure out why you over eat in the first place , have this surgery it's not uncommon that we substitute food for something else . My late brother in law , same surgery, Sam ages and had surgery one year after me found alcohol which damage his kidneys more and costs him his life. I turned to drugs. Thank goodness I got caught. I actually came out on my own. What a relief. It almost cost my marriage, my family, my kids . I've lost so many cars from wrecks. My husband left me. We are working on saving our marriage. So far it's going well, but it hasn't been long. But I'm determined and have a wonderful support system. My parents and older sister have been my ROCK. I WOULD NOT BE HERE IF IT WEREN'T FOR THEM. I was at my breaking point but no one knew. Suicide was ALWAYS on the brain.

Lost all self esteem , due to my on going dental issues. Missing most teeth when I use to beautiful teeth. I wouldn't look in the mirror even while putting on make up or brushing my teeth. Much less want to talk to ANYONE. Which led to wanting more drugs.

Luckily, I have the MOST INCREDIBLE PARENTS. I'm over coming having all my rotten teeth pulled and dentures made THANKS all to my mom and dad. They are a HUGE BLESSING.

I appreciate you asking . That was nice. Made me think maybe my story can help just one person and that I should keep up with this more. Especially since my REAL story doesn't end just at the take down surgery. There's more complications that go on that are hidden very well from some some. It's a very dark and lonely place.

Again, thanks.

Michelle

*SORRY FOR POSTING THE SAME PICTURE OVER AND OVER, IT KEPT SAYING IT CRASHED SO I DIDN'T THINK IT DOWNLOADED!

You are really looking great, and you're staring to get that sparkle back in your eyes, that zest for life once more. I would love to hear more about your reversal and what they did like if they put your stomach back together or just extended the intestines alone and how the recovery for you went? I also believe that we need more people who have had the take down to help others who are in the same boat who are scared and have many questions. life is not all about being over weight or being skinny its about being healthy and being able to live a life without any ill health or complications. I don't believe the medical system is geared to help us overweight people especially after we undergo the surgery we are not taught how to eat sensibly we are just given guidelines to work with. they you have the isolation from family and friends who alienate us for wanting to improve our health then on the other end of the spectrum you have the people who have had the surgery having a go at you for what ever side effects you have had re said surgery telling you that it's all your fault. personally I don't understand any of it if a person is having complications its not their fault, if a person doesn't loose weight again its not their fault as 9 out of 10 times its a mechanical fault with the surgery and not the person. just my views anyway like I said you look so much better now and I would dearly love to know more about how you are going post reversal.

Take care and keep well,

Regards M

Hi All.

I'm preparing for gastric bypass reversal December 3.

I had gastric bypass RNY in 2004.

I had little to no complications the first 2 years. Then I started having extreme stomach pain.

After several tests they found no cause and decided I had slow bowels that were causing painful Constipation.< /p>

After several years of on and off stomach pain, I ended up in the ER where they found an internal hernia that

was strangulated between my liver and my kidneys.

Apparently during the time of my original gastric bypass there was an area of the abdomen that was left vulnerable

to internal hernias. They say that they no longer have that problem in current surgeries.

Anyways, I died on the table that night. But they revived me, and corrected the hernia.

My original rny was laparoscopic. With the internal hernia, I went into the ER with the severe stomach pain, then woke up

with a long vertical scar on my stomach that looked like a large zipper, was a little shocking.

1 year later I ended up in the ER because the scar tissue from the open stomach surgery a year before, had given

me a blocked bowel. Once again I woke up with the whole zipper down the front. This time they had to go around

the other side of my belly button for some reason, so I now had "train tracks" down the lower part of my stomach.

2 years later, after I'd been working out quite a bit, they found that the seam line of my scar hadn't healed all the way properly.

One surgeon said it was like Swiss cheese.

So, they went back in and sewed in a mesh to protect my seam line from further hernias.

After the first emergency surgery, I noticed I had hypoglycemia every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Year by year, I started needing to eat more often. But I was able to keep the weight off.

About a year ago, I got to where I need to eat every 40-50 minutes or I get "sick."

And started gaining weight.

I asked my primary care for help, but he told me he too has hypoglycemia and just make sure I eat properly.

I finally researched severe reactive hypoglycemia, and severe dumping syndrome, printed out info from the NIH website,

and took it with me.

Finally I got sent to a bariatric surgeon for help.

He sent me to an endocrinologist who implanted a Continuous blood glucose monitor for 6 days. (That thing was so cool! It takes

your blood sugar reading every 5 minutes.)

It was found that any time I ate even just 1 1/2 grams of carbs my blood sugar would drop by 60-80 points within 40-60 minutes...causing me to need to eat again, to keep from passing out.

When I ate only Protein, my blood sugar would stay on the low side, which left me no energy at all. I could go for about 90 minutes before my blood sugar would drop...but even just eating Protein would trigger the blood sugar drop.

It was found that the hole between my stomach pouch, which is still quite small, and the attached intestine has become over large, so the food is dropping straight into my intestines, and triggering my pancreas to produce extra insulin.

The hardest part is going to the store etc, and if I get involved and don't pay attention to the clock, I can suddenly feel a flushing feeling, and

feel like I'm going to pass out immediately if I don't eat.

It's become very difficult to go anywhere away from the house.

Would I have gastric bypass if I knew all about this, NO.

I have grown to appreciate Energy. Energy levels. I enjoy working with horses and being active, but have been unable to for the past 2 years. I cannot count on maintaining enough energy from hour to hour.

My goal, to be able to eat something and maintain good stable energy for 3 hours or so.

I didn't have the gastric bypass so I could need to lie down all the time. I envisioned being more active and having More energy as

as a thinner person.

If you have good energy, and you just don't like the way you look etc, Please don't have this surgery.

I only recommend it for people who have immediate heart and serious medical issues due to their weight.

I looked my new bariatric surgeon in the eye and told him I wouldn't mind gaining all my weight back, if it means I can have good

consistent energy every day.

Gastric bypass so drastically alters our anatomy. I may never have proper digestion again.

I hope my story helps someone!

Well, it's been forever since I've signed on and since then I've finally gained weight. Now...i wish it would stop some! I'm up to 130 pounds and having to buy bigger clothes. I'm ok with this if I don't get any heavier, which is ALL up to me. . Labs still come back with issues, anemia, thyroid issue, etc. But I haven't checked into it yet. Went a year not going to a doctor, didn't meet my deductible or out of pocket! First time in 13 years!

Hope everyone is well.

Edited by Mbrock

Thank you guys so much for all of this information! I have my last diet documentation tomorrow and my surgical clearance visit. I have been going back and forth between bypass and sleeve and have concluded just tonight that I will go with the sleeve if I'm approved. I'm hopeful.

Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm sorry they were so painful and difficult but your stories are guiding lights to us about to take the plunge. Do take that to heart--you are helping others with your honesty

Hello I am going through the same thing. I had the sleeve 5 years ago and due to acid reflux and my esophagus was collapsing I had to have a revision to the bypass 14 months ago . I'm a 105lbs now and want to stop losing. I have been having issues since I had the revision. I just had a pick line in that I gained 20lbs and 3 weeks later it was gone. At first it was diarrhea and now its vomiting. I seemed to can't get a break. I felt great with the pick line in but that is dangerous walking around with a IV in your arm feeding you dripping over your heart. My gallbladder was taken out on 2/9/15. I just had my 3rd EDG on Monday since my surgery and they found nothing again. I am trying to stay positive but this is getting very hard and expensive. So I know what you are going through but because I had the sleeve and then revised to the bypass I can not have the reversal due to my stomach was thrown away. I am so malnourished and now they want to put me back on the pick line (TPN) again. I don't know what to do anymore. I am miserable.

All the best M

Hi, M!

Again, thanks.

Michelle

I'm in no way trying to be insensitive, I actually do some work as a drug/alcohol counselor so I realize what a major issue addiction is and the very real possibility of transfer addiction, however reading your first few posts, drugs were not mentioned and you scared a whole lot of people who were led to believe that ALL of your health issues and personal problems and even demise of physical appearance was 100% due to your weight loss surgery. Now sure, you can say I had weight loss surgery and became a drug addict and that in itself is a tragedy that many will empathize with, however had you not started using, would your bypass had led to the same results ? I for one think it's important to clarify and report the whole story when discussing such serious life threatening complications. Regardless, I'm glad you are doing so much better.