Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for the info I will look into it. Right now I'm experimenting with removing gluten and now dairy from my diet which is not easy for me but until I get a diagnosis from my doctor I might as well try something and see if it helps, take care, Brandy.

I apologize if I missed something above, but I just wanted to warn you if you suspect a gluten sensitivity, Celiacs or something similar, removing gluten from your diet before your Dr. runs tests will interfere with the testing results. It is my understanding that this is a big mistake people make before diagnosis.

Well, it's been forever since I've signed on and since then I've finally gained weight. Now...i wish it would stop some! I'm up to 130 pounds and having to buy bigger clothes. I'm ok with this if I don't get any heavier, which is ALL up to me. . Labs still come back with issues, anemia, thyroid issue, etc. But I haven't checked into it yet. Went a year not going to a doctor, didn't meet my deductible or out of pocket! First time in 13 years!

Hope everyone is well.

Are you eating a healthy diet or just eating whatever, b/c you finally can? It would be a good idea to work with a nutritionist for your particular needs after so much surgery.

Also, I noticed your surgeon's name in the margin - there is another person in this forum who has more recently had some big complications that had the same surgeon.

So, perhaps your original surgery had problems that led to the other ones.

Mbrock,

As of today you've been registered at RNYTalk.com for a total of 1 year(s), congratulations! Our members here at RNYTalk as well as myself would like to wish you a very very happy anniversary!!

If you haven't introduced yourself to our RNY community or you haven't posted in a while, now would be a great time to do so! Please share your RNY Surgery journey with other members here. We LOVE hearing from our members!

Best Regards,

Alex Brecher, Founder

RNYTalk.com

I've didn't seem to keep up with the blogging thing. But always appreciated the nice responses and well wishes I did receive the past year.

Maybe if I didn't wait until 1,2 3 am I would have kept up more.

A year ago I replied to "Steph" about regretting surgery 14 yrs ago. Got bombarded with recent and healthy patients (hope all stay healthy) asking what " I did wrong"' & continue doing wrong. "Why didn't do more homework" etc .

Well, July 31st @ 6 am Dr. Robert Davis will be doing a revision, "take down of RNY". OF course I'm terrified.. Wonder what is the point now... I already look like a freak. It's not going to give me my teeth back, that were once perfect now gone, won't fix my marriage of 14 years, certainly won't have men knocking down my door , the disability will never be enough for the estimated $20K to repair my mouth. So I'll avoid pics at call costs, don't have many with my kids past couple of years, taking bites or trying will be an issue. All the other body, mind damage won't all be repaired. This will hopefully stop it from getting worse, of course that's no guarantee either. But for what reasons ? This is what I keep asking myself OVER, OVER AND OVER . Just more financially in debt?

More strain on marriage ?

If you're considering the gastric bypass with RNY or any weight loss surgery, I can't say do your homework because I did mine . It just didn't work out for me and I look and feel the worst I ever have in my entire life.

I'm not being like this the drag everyone down , but I want people to know there are more people out there like me.

I hear you!! I am in the same boat... I realize this is a very old post but I sure would like to talk with you.... Peggy

Hi,

Not sure anyone is reading this, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before seeing my surgeon next week. I had my original bypass in 1999. Followed the rules, successfully lost weight. I didn't have any health issues before my rny, however a few years after my bypass I started having complications, and more complications. It started with ulcers, vomiting, Iron and blood transfusions, syncope, Vitamin def.. gerd. This went on for years. Tried to get in to see my original surgeon several times, but it was impossible. Lots of GI doctors, scopes, etc. later, they could never find anything wrong (aside from ulcers) that were treated with medication (which I wasn't absorbing). Fast forward to present, I moved to another state a year and a half ago, things became pretty bad. I was vomiting from everything. I too, had already suffered broken teeth, fracture lines and a few pulled due to poor health and the vomiting. Everything was going right through me. I found a bariatric doctor here, and he found that I had a huge hernia pushing my stomach out (my stomach was stretched pretty far from it), and in my chest, which was causing the food to just sit there. I had a revision to repair the hernia, and pull my stomach back down where it needed to be. My doctor said I would probably lose a few lbs. after (I was 108 lbs. the day of my revision in Sept. of this year), but then start to put some weight back on and feel better. I spent 5 days in the hospital. Once I came home, it was like starting all over with sips of Water, liquids, Protein drinks, soft/puree...all the steps. Everything stayed down, but I still had a blah/gut bug feeling and just figured it's part of the process, etc. it'll go away. As the time went by, my body wasn't absorbing anything at all, and lost all muscle. I went down to 94 lbs. I started getting dumping from everything I tried to eat, even Protein Drinks. My doctor admitted me at that point (about 6 weeks ago), and put a picc line in for nutrition. I was also very dehydrated. I spent another 5 days in the hospital. I came home with the picc line, and have had tpn 18 hours a day, visiting nurse once/week. I have been seeing my doctor every week for weigh-ins, lab checks, etc. The original plan all along was that if this didn't work out, I would be reversed. When I saw him last week, he felt a bit different. he felt as though that maybe in time (6-12 months time) "maybe" the dumping would go away, maybe I'll eat more and absorb and feel better. In the meantime, I would continue with tpn. I can't imagine going like this any longer, feeling this way. He told me that my chances of developing gastroparesis would be 50%, but there's that chance that my old stomach will function after all these years, and I'll feel better. I'm not as concerned about gaining weight, than I am about being healthy. What if in that 6-12 months I don't feel better? What are the chances if it's already been two and a half months since my revision, and I get dumping with everything I eat? I can't imagine this would all of a sudden stop, and be "fine". I'm really just trying to reach out, and hopefully come to terms with a final decision before I see him next week (time does matter in my case right now, so if I reverse it will happen before the end of this year). The plan is to have a plan next time I see him. How do I decide when both sides of things just don't look so great? I have 2 young children at home, and it's already been a lot to process. I need and want to just move on with my life...so much to do. So much to do:(

Hi,

Not sure anyone is reading this, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before seeing my surgeon next week. I had my original bypass in 1999. Followed the rules, successfully lost weight. I didn't have any health issues before my rny, however a few years after my bypass I started having complications, and more complications. It started with ulcers, vomiting, Iron and blood transfusions, syncope, Vitamin def.. gerd. This went on for years. Tried to get in to see my original surgeon several times, but it was impossible. Lots of GI doctors, scopes, etc. later, they could never find anything wrong (aside from ulcers) that were treated with medication (which I wasn't absorbing). Fast forward to present, I moved to another state a year and a half ago, things became pretty bad. I was vomiting from everything. I too, had already suffered broken teeth, fracture lines and a few pulled due to poor health and the vomiting. Everything was going right through me. I found a bariatric doctor here, and he found that I had a huge hernia pushing my stomach out (my stomach was stretched pretty far from it), and in my chest, which was causing the food to just sit there. I had a revision to repair the hernia, and pull my stomach back down where it needed to be. My doctor said I would probably lose a few lbs. after (I was 108 lbs. the day of my revision in Sept. of this year), but then start to put some weight back on and feel better. I spent 5 days in the hospital. Once I came home, it was like starting all over with sips of Water, liquids, Protein drinks, soft/puree...all the steps. Everything stayed down, but I still had a blah/gut bug feeling and just figured it's part of the process, etc. it'll go away. As the time went by, my body wasn't absorbing anything at all, and lost all muscle. I went down to 94 lbs. I started getting dumping from everything I tried to eat, even Protein Drinks. My doctor admitted me at that point (about 6 weeks ago), and put a picc line in for nutrition. I was also very dehydrated. I spent another 5 days in the hospital. I came home with the picc line, and have had tpn 18 hours a day, visiting nurse once/week. I have been seeing my doctor every week for weigh-ins, lab checks, etc. The original plan all along was that if this didn't work out, I would be reversed. When I saw him last week, he felt a bit different. he felt as though that maybe in time (6-12 months time) "maybe" the dumping would go away, maybe I'll eat more and absorb and feel better. In the meantime, I would continue with tpn. I can't imagine going like this any longer, feeling this way. He told me that my chances of developing gastroparesis would be 50%, but there's that chance that my old stomach will function after all these years, and I'll feel better. I'm not as concerned about gaining weight, than I am about being healthy. What if in that 6-12 months I don't feel better? What are the chances if it's already been two and a half months since my revision, and I get dumping with everything I eat? I can't imagine this would all of a sudden stop, and be "fine". I'm really just trying to reach out, and hopefully come to terms with a final decision before I see him next week (time does matter in my case right now, so if I reverse it will happen before the end of this year). The plan is to have a plan next time I see him. How do I decide when both sides of things just don't look so great? I have 2 young children at home, and it's already been a lot to process. I need and want to just move on with my life...so much to do. So much to do:(

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear everything you are going through ! Do they know why you are dumping all the time ? What have your X-rays shown ? I would request copies to review yourself and also I would get a second opinion if it was me. With such a hard decision I would want to explore every option and hear from more than one doc, just my thoughts though.

I just had a recent endoscopy. Everything is clear and wide open. I have a copy of the report. I also just had the 3 hour glucose test. The dumping is happening from everything I eat because it's going right through me.

Ok had the second pick line in for 3 months went from 98 lbs to 136lbs and finally got my strength back but now i have to get Iron IV infusions treatments with styroids and starting to gain more wait. Just had my last treatment and now I'm up to 145lbs. I don't know what to do. I'm scared to go back on a liquid diet again because of the malnutrition issues I had before. I dont know what to do anymore.

Hi All.

I'm preparing for gastric bypass reversal December 3.

I had gastric bypass RNY in 2004.

I had little to no complications the first 2 years. Then I started having extreme stomach pain.

After several tests they found no cause and decided I had slow bowels that were causing painful Constipation.< /p>

After several years of on and off stomach pain, I ended up in the ER where they found an internal hernia that

was strangulated between my liver and my kidneys.

Apparently during the time of my original gastric bypass there was an area of the abdomen that was left vulnerable

to internal hernias. They say that they no longer have that problem in current surgeries.

Anyways, I died on the table that night. But they revived me, and corrected the hernia.

My original rny was laparoscopic. With the internal hernia, I went into the ER with the severe stomach pain, then woke up

with a long vertical scar on my stomach that looked like a large zipper, was a little shocking.

1 year later I ended up in the ER because the scar tissue from the open stomach surgery a year before, had given

me a blocked bowel. Once again I woke up with the whole zipper down the front. This time they had to go around

the other side of my belly button for some reason, so I now had "train tracks" down the lower part of my stomach.

2 years later, after I'd been working out quite a bit, they found that the seam line of my scar hadn't healed all the way properly.

One surgeon said it was like Swiss cheese.

So, they went back in and sewed in a mesh to protect my seam line from further hernias.

After the first emergency surgery, I noticed I had hypoglycemia every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Year by year, I started needing to eat more often. But I was able to keep the weight off.

About a year ago, I got to where I need to eat every 40-50 minutes or I get "sick."

And started gaining weight.

I asked my primary care for help, but he told me he too has hypoglycemia and just make sure I eat properly.

I finally researched severe reactive hypoglycemia, and severe dumping syndrome, printed out info from the NIH website,

and took it with me.

Finally I got sent to a bariatric surgeon for help.

He sent me to an endocrinologist who implanted a Continuous blood glucose monitor for 6 days. (That thing was so cool! It takes

your blood sugar reading every 5 minutes.)

It was found that any time I ate even just 1 1/2 grams of carbs my blood sugar would drop by 60-80 points within 40-60 minutes...causing me to need to eat again, to keep from passing out.

When I ate only Protein, my blood sugar would stay on the low side, which left me no energy at all. I could go for about 90 minutes before my blood sugar would drop...but even just eating Protein would trigger the blood sugar drop.

It was found that the hole between my stomach pouch, which is still quite small, and the attached intestine has become over large, so the food is dropping straight into my intestines, and triggering my pancreas to produce extra insulin.

The hardest part is going to the store etc, and if I get involved and don't pay attention to the clock, I can suddenly feel a flushing feeling, and

feel like I'm going to pass out immediately if I don't eat.

It's become very difficult to go anywhere away from the house.

Would I have gastric bypass if I knew all about this, NO.

I have grown to appreciate Energy. Energy levels. I enjoy working with horses and being active, but have been unable to for the past 2 years. I cannot count on maintaining enough energy from hour to hour.

My goal, to be able to eat something and maintain good stable energy for 3 hours or so.

I didn't have the gastric bypass so I could need to lie down all the time. I envisioned being more active and having More energy as

as a thinner person.

If you have good energy, and you just don't like the way you look etc, Please don't have this surgery.

I only recommend it for people who have immediate heart and serious medical issues due to their weight.

I looked my new bariatric surgeon in the eye and told him I wouldn't mind gaining all my weight back, if it means I can have good

consistent energy every day.

Gastric bypass so drastically alters our anatomy. I may never have proper digestion again.

I hope my story helps someone!

Omg! How are you now?

So sorry you are having a difficult time as well:( I wish I could give you some answers, but as far as the Iron infusions for me personally, I used to have to go years ago 3 times a week for infusions when my level was at a 7. I do remember the infusions for some reason made me feel kind of bloated and I put a few lbs. on, but I noticed once my body was where it needed to be after the infusions, everything went back.

shunhunter, on 18 Nov 2015 - 18:33, said:

Ok had the second pick line in for 3 months went from 98 lbs to 136lbs and finally got my strength back but now i have to get Iron IV infusions treatments with styroids and starting to gain more wait. Just had my last treatment and now I'm up to 145lbs. I don't know what to do. I'm scared to go back on a liquid diet again because of the malnutrition issues I had before. I dont know what to do anymore.

My gastric bypass reversal is scheduled for Monday, December 7th. Really scared, but hoping it'll take a lot of my issues away and I can have some life back! Two months with a picc line has been enough, and I'm ready for it to come out!

I am looking for information and help for my friend. I only have general information until I can get specifics from her. She had gastric bypass around 2005 and now has multiple health issues. The doctors say she is terminal and no one will do a reversal. She has spinal fractures from bone loss and went from 5'7" to 5'. She has a PICC line for TPN. Her blood sugar is very low and she now has a prolapsed rectum. I am desperate to help her. We live in WA state but will travel to anywhere in USA for a reversal. Can anyone help us?

Im sorry for your friend. I'm familiar with a lot that she's going through. I know I'm far away, but my surgeon is amazing! He has done quite a lot of revisions and reversals. I've been through tpn, etc. It took so many years and doctors before I found him. Dr. Sunil Bhoyrul, Scripps La Jolla San Diego , CA. I hope your friend can get the help she needs❤️

I know my doctor in Dallas does some very complicated reversals. Dr Colleen Kennedy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App