Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.

I have my surgery tomorrow. I had to have two days of Clear Liquids, and yesterday drank 10 ounces of magnesium citrate to help clear the bowels (per doctor instructions). I did good all day yesterday except I sucked on 4 candy kisses last night. Then this morning I wanted a tastier broth so I heated up chicken noodle Soup and I was doing good with the broth (much better than just plain chicken broth) and I ate 1 spoonful of the noodles and carrots. Do you think that is really bad? I gave in to temptation. :cry Now I am a little concerned I ruined my fast. I know it wasn't that much, but there has to be a reason they want your bowels cleaned out.

Anyone cheat on their liquid fast?

I realize this is your surgeons policy, but many were not given any sort of pre-op diet at all, and most surgeries simply require nothing by mouth after midnight. Will it ruin your ability to have surgery, I wouldn't think so. However, you cannot eat the last while before surgery, nor following surgery! It is dangerous to do so then, you can rip the stitches holding the band in place. So while we all understand the hunger and the feelings of being out of control with food, you are going to have to dig deep and hang in there for the time remaining before surgery, and then following it!

I wish I had good easy answers, but if you can find the strength to get through those times, it does get much easier!!!

Hang in there---good luck on your surgery---I hope it is smooth and uneventful!

Kat

Hi Kat.

Thanks so much for the info. I know I can do better today. I am so aware of it now. They told me nothing after midnight tonight. I will be going to bed around 9-10pm so I will do good on that. My surgery is early at 7:30am and I have to check in at 5:30am. So, that is interesting some people didn't have fastings. That makes me feel a little better that I didn't ruin it totally. I feel into that temptation trap! I will make sure to follow it to after too. I am hoping with the restrictive device it will be a little better.

THANKS

And in the future just strain the noodles and carrots out of the broth. I did this with lots of the Soups so I could get broth that tasted better than just clear broth. I also did it with Won Ton Soup. They have a better flavor and a little more satisfying.

Good luck on your surgery.

I realize this is your surgeons policy, but many were not given any sort of pre-op diet at all, and most surgeries simply require nothing by mouth after midnight. Will it ruin your ability to have surgery, I wouldn't think so. However, you cannot eat the last while before surgery, nor following surgery! It is dangerous to do so then, you can rip the stitches holding the band in place. So while we all understand the hunger and the feelings of being out of control with food, you are going to have to dig deep and hang in there for the time remaining before surgery, and then following it!

I wish I had good easy answers, but if you can find the strength to get through those times, it does get much easier!!!

Hang in there---good luck on your surgery---I hope it is smooth and uneventful!

Kat

Kat is definitely right about this. But I want to add one thing. I think you will find that not eating for a while after surgery is much easier than not eating before surgery. After surgery most people don't seem to have much of an appetite. I wasn't hungry at all for at least a week.

Also, the doc wants your bowels cleaned out because the surgery and medication they give you after surgery can cause Constipation. They want you to start with a "clean slate," so to speak. I don't think a spoon of noodles is going to cause a major problem in this area.

Good luck on your big day!

Hi.

I have my surgery tomorrow. I had to have two days of clear liquids, and yesterday drank 10 ounces of magnesium citrate to help clear the bowels (per doctor instructions). I did good all day yesterday except I sucked on 4 candy kisses last night. Then this morning I wanted a tastier broth so I heated up chicken noodle Soup and I was doing good with the broth (much better than just plain chicken broth) and I ate 1 spoonful of the noodles and carrots. Do you think that is really bad? I gave in to temptation. :cry Now I am a little concerned I ruined my fast. I know it wasn't that much, but there has to be a reason they want your bowels cleaned out.

Anyone cheat on their liquid fast?

I didnt have to do a liquid fast for 2 days. per the surgeon, 12noon the day before surgery you had to start clears. I didnt realize that and I went out and had pare ribs and potatoes for supper. I freak out when I got home, and called the surgeon. He told me not toworry that I can even eat a little more until 12mn. He didnt require a bowel prep either. Surgery went fine for me.

andrea

Hi Kat.

Thanks so much for the info. I know I can do better today. I am so aware of it now. They told me nothing after midnight tonight. I will be going to bed around 9-10pm so I will do good on that. My surgery is early at 7:30am and I have to check in at 5:30am. So, that is interesting some people didn't have fastings. That makes me feel a little better that I didn't ruin it totally. I feel into that temptation trap! I will make sure to follow it to after too. I am hoping with the restrictive device it will be a little better.

THANKS

I think you will be just fine as long as you have nothing at all after midnight :D