Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just want to bang my head against the wall...

I completely understand that your suppose to change your diet for life' date=' however i think its a balancing act. chocolate, Cookies, junk food and all around "bad" food will be around forever... We all have to learn to have our recommended amount of Protein, drink our Water, exercise and within moderation ( only on special occasions) have a "bad" snack, i personally think its unrealistic to forever give up "bad" food. I think if i do that one day ill snap and just go back o my terrible old ways.... We are all just human....this is just my personal opinion ... If you do not agree i understand, just don't attack my personal way of thinking.....:)[/quote']

I agree with you. It's portion & size. I had a few slice of pizza half of one or a whole one depends the size but don't do it often & it's not like before 2liter Pepsi in one day & 3 slice of pizza. I have the will power now to say no thank you if my family decides for lunch they want a pie. I have no salt added chips occasionally compare to a whole bag with soda. I love it like this. I have will power & control & I can say no with out feeling guilty & my family encourage me now.

i was told never skip a meal Protein first and to be sure i had a snack during the day ...also nutritionist told me at some point i may want some of those bad foods that helped get me this way i love pizza and have had that a few times but i made my own whole wheat wrap sauce reduced fat mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni very yummy...I have been offered many bad things and happy i have had the will power to say no thank you .. Never thought i could do this and probably wouldn't without the support i have from here on RNYtalk and a couple Facebook forums including my own that i started i also attend a monthly support group here near my house that the surgical team have setup i think besides the work we do that is key keeping active in support groups we are all food addicts and the support is great

I was just telling someone last night about this. Saw one girl who is 4 days post op already purée food and eating mash potatoes and gravy. First thought was I thought you were only allowed Protein shakes and Water first 2 to 3 weeks. It was freaking me out. 1 girl 3 weeks out said she was feeling so good going to a friends party wanting to know if she could drink alcohol. Really ? These are the same ones who are going to poo poo on this surgery. Yes I know it's hard but why do they want to be fat all over again? Makes no sense to me

Every surgeon's plan for reintroducing food is different. I'm supposed to do 9 days of Clear liquids only and then head right to purées. When I originally had my sleeve the plan was different then because it was a different surgeon. 4 days post op she's not going to hurt anything by having some potatoes.

Also, I have to say this thread is a little disheartening :/ I was a member of VST when I had my sleeve and I ended up not using it because it was so negative and hateful towards people who made different choices about what they ate. We're all different so we will all make different choices. This food addiction is tougher for some to keep under control than it is for others. That's ok.

I just hope this forum continues to be supportive and not shaming people that make choices that others may not...

I didn't start this to be negative at all. I am just shocked at the choices others make. But then again... I'm gonna do me and so far I have been very successful! Hope you have a great day and find what you are looking for on this forum.

This is reality, I understand cravings just like all of you, and I am a southern gal who loves all those comfort foods like the rest of you. but I want to succeed. my doc said only liquids till my 2 week check up, then i can do puree foods. I intend to stick to that because I never ever want to be the fattest in the room. I dont want ppl to look at me with disgust in their eyes on OMG look at how fat she is, ot she has such a pretty face if only she would lose weight. if my cravings go away and I am not around those types of food, potatoes and mac and cheese gravies, cream stuff, if I can go 6 months with out I dont ever want it, those are the the foods that made me fat to start with. there are healthier choices, like spagetti. you can use whole wheat Pasta. hunts tomatoe sauce is a good choice they dont use sugar. Do I know its going to be hard, yes I do. I think the reason for this thread is because if you read other threads from people and they arent following the guide lines, its 2 weeks of liquid, not 3 days after surgery do you start eating mash potatoes and gravy, whether the pouch tolerated it or not. how will you succeed? no one is trying to be negative, we are all in this together, and we are here to help each other whether its good job or, what were you thinking. I am 56 yrs old. possibly the oldest on this forum. when I was 44 I was told I was type 2 diabetic, I was pissed, because here i was a grown person and they were telling me what i could not eat anymore, believe me I was just sick. I had to learn what and when to eat. I have a huge sweet tooth, an begging my dentist to pull it, he couldnt find it lol. It is so hard, yes I cheated alot. but I wont this time, because I am having a major surgery to get a tool to help me, so i can be healthier, and look alot better then the fat slob i became.

All I'm saying is each surgeon's plan is different in terms of when it's ok to introduce foods- and you should always follow your surgeon's plan!!! I applaud everyone for making good choices, it's not easy! I just hope we can continue to provide non-judgemental support for each other! :)

Btw I'm fairly certain my paperwork has mashed potatoes listed as a food that I can have once I start purées. It was never a trigger food for me- so why not?! ;)

I wont get my menu till my 2 week check up. but for now all I know is that it says my first 2 weeks are for Water, Protein Shakes, tea, crystal light, broth, nothing to cold or hot, i can have SF Jello and popsicles.

then they will give me my puree menu,, from what web sites I have seen and from reading weight loss surgery for dummies, all the reccomendations are the same no solid or puree food for first 2 weeks. Maybe instead of white potatoe which is mostly starch/sugar, they mean sweet potatoe, who knows. but I for one wont eat mash potatoes and gravy 4 days after surgery, but good luck

I spent almost a week long vacation in vegas. I was freaking out that I may break my healthy eating habits or worse gain weight. I stuck to the most healthy foods available everywhere we went, didn't snack, and took my Protein shake every morning. I refrained from eating at some good and even fancy restaurants because of the unhealthy menu items.

When I came back, I had lost 4 lbs that week.

Although I may slightly cheat on.some days, I was super alert when I was traveling. I feel so good I did that although I lash myself really hard on any small cheat.

I believe this is what I call commitment to myself

Sent from my Galaxy S III using RNYTalk

Every surgeon and NUT are different. Some are OK'd on pureed right out of the hospital. Also, my menu plan says I can have potatoes and a little gravy (FF of course) to use for pureed meat. Sooo... With that being said, it might have been OK for her to have this. As long as you don't live on it and do Protein first, no harm done. One day I did just have plain instant mashed made with milk and a little butter buds for dinner. It was wonderful since I was so queasy that day but I do not make a habit of it. :)

I wont get my menu till my 2 week check up. but for now all I know is that it says my first 2 weeks are for water' date=' Protein shakes, tea, crystal light, broth, nothing to cold or hot, i can have SF Jello and popsicles.

then they will give me my puree menu,, from what web sites I have seen and from reading weight loss surgery for dummies, all the reccomendations are the same no solid or puree food for first 2 weeks. Maybe instead of white potatoe which is mostly starch/sugar, they mean sweet potatoe, who knows. but I for one wont eat mash potatoes and gravy 4 days after surgery, but good luck[/quote']

I had to do liquids for 2 weeks prior to surgery, but after I was only on liquids for 4 days then I moved to puréed foods. I had an ounce of mashed potatoes with a tiny bit of fat free gravy on two occasions since surgery 3 weeks ago & I've still lost 21 lbs. As long as we stick to our portion sizes & get our Protein, fluids, Vitamins & exercise in we will be fine. I won't ever eat any sugar again or drink carbonation or caffeine, but i will have a little potatoes every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk HW 272 DOS 253 RNY Date 12/3/12

I also have to do 2 weeks of liquid type stuff. I am afraid to try some foods. But I notice that doctors are all different. Good luck everyone!!