Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watch Video then answer True or False

I came across this video and was wondering if any post-op lapbanders felt the same as this women did after LapBand? My daughter and I are Scheduled for LapBand surgery Feb 23rd. Thanks to all!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brkq015Ao_8]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Very interesting. I would beg to differ with her though. I am NEVER, I mean NEVER, hungry. She didn't have enough of a fill early enough. That is my opinion. The band is definitely a slower process. I've only lost 37 lbs in 8 months. I am considered a slow loser. Good luck to you. I love my band.

I have seen the entire series of videos from this doctor. They are a joke. I know of tons of people with the band and none of us have those problems. Why in God's name was she having milk shakes when she PB'd???? I drink iced tea, cold protien shakes, and propel. She was eating the same CRAP as before being banded and blaming it on the band. In her case it's not the band, it's the foods she is consuming. ~Mandy

He found one gal that didn't do well with the band and used her to Band Bash.

I would be interested to see how this woman does with her by-pass. It would seem that she wasn't very compliant - or at least that she never learned to chew her food.

Some people are more interested in the Quick and Dramatic than in the long slow method.

I chose the long slow method because I get the band effect for long after the by-pass people have moved on to eating "steak and shrimp and lobster".

I know it will be far longer than a year to learn how to eat and have permanent habits. I have 42 yrs of bad habits to unlearn. You just can't do that in a year.

I won't say that the by-pass is wrong or bad - but it wasn't the way to go for me.

Since I consider myself a 'failure' with the lapband i feel differently then most lapbanders. If you pb often you are to go on liquids for some length of time and this can cause a vicious cycle - and yes, you will get hungry and if good bandster food doesn't go you tend to go toward foods that will go through ok - not good bandster food. I actually feel sorry for this woman and am glad she found something that works. I've tried almost everything and do almost 95% of all things right - i'm not perfect but i eat around 1200-1500 calories a day, drink very minimal amounts of alcohol, exercise regularly and still struggle with not pbing and i don't lose weight. I've maintained which is something I couldn't do without the band but I don't want to or think I need to be tighter. My body just won't lose weight (and yes, I've been tested metabolically.) As my doc said - you can put lapbands in 4 patients and each patient will have a different result - you sometimes can't pinpoint it. I know 3 other bandsters like me and it is a lonely lonely road of mostly folks blaming us for our lack of success -nobody likes to hear from the failures.

I would still say go for it - if you have researched and thought long and hard about your decision and realize that for some people it doesn'tt work - one of the folks I know that has had no significant weight loss had the surgery with her mom and sister - mom and sister are pretty much at goal and the woman I know has lost 16lbs -

I don't know if the doc or procedure is a joke - I just know I feel for someone who doesn't get the result they want from the lapband and when they do find something that works - good for them.

This guy has a bunch of videos posted, all bashing the band, not just this one patient. I believe his specialty is by-pass conversion. Seems like his goal is/was band bashing, check out his other videos. ~Mandy

I'm not saying that it is always the bended persons fault when the band fails, but this woman admits to eating Cookies, and milk shakes. I have been banded 18 months, and have only had a few milk shakes. I do eat sweets, but not as a staple. This woman says that healthy foods would not go down, sounds like she was too tight, after not being tight enough. Sounds like her fill doc was a bit too aggressive. I am pretty lax with my diet, I eat mostly what I want when I want. I eat carbs, I eat some sweets, and I love sugar free ice cream. I am almost at goal, it's taken me 18 months, but I am almost there. I wasn't expecting instant results, I was expecting 1-2 pounds per week. I am totally happy with my results. I understand that you have to work the band, I also understand that somepeople do work the band and it doesn't always work for them. MaryS, I'm sorry that the band didn't work for you, but I am sure that you also didn't turn to cookies and milkshakes and then blame the band like this woman did. ~Mandy

I have been banded a week, so I do not have the experience that many on here do to speak of, but I have a very close friend who had bypass surgery a year ago... she didn't want a band, she wanted bypass. She is one year post op, has lost all of her approx 80-90 pounds she had to lose and looks healthy and fit as a fiddle. But she really worked it, and when I decided to do the band and talked to her one thing she said made total sense to me was that no matter which option, you are going to face failure if you don't do as the doctor reccomends. Of course we are all going to have some sweets and such but the junk food we ate that got us here is not going to get us out... if someone comes up with a diet or tool that does that they'd be wealthy.

her advice to me was take it easy, go slow, do as the doctor says and have a treat here or there as you need it but if you don't let yourself heal (like the doc says) or you decide to live on milkshakes so your body has too many calories to lose weight... it is no different than buying something and using it for something else (trying to toast with a blender). You have to use what you have for what it was made for.

I say go for it, there are so many examples on this board that insprire me so much- if you are ready to use the band as the tool it is, you are ready to succeed!:)

I have a friend that also hd by-pass, he looked great a year out, now at 5 years out he is almost back at his starting weight. He loved the weightloss, but didn't work at it. He started out over 400 pounds, looked really great for a while, but is not dieting and working out at a gym to drop the pounds. The by-pass works for a period of time, if you don't change your habits, and the woman in the video didn't, you will gain it all back. ~Mandy

I couldn't even finish watching the video. I agree with those of you that this Dr. is band-bashing and trying to get business. I'm not banded yet, but one of the reasons I chose the band was to help me not feel so hungry, so that the work THAT I DO will result in weight loss, and I still have the adjustability of the band AFTER weight loss to help me maintain. I have every intention of using the band as a tool, and I realize that I am the one responsible for the work. I also acknowledge that I will probably be a slow loser, but that's OK with me. I know I can do this, I just need some help. All of my aquaintances that have had bypass have regained their weight, mostly because they didn't modify their diets. One never quit munching on M & M's, and washed them down with hot cocoa. Duh! With those kind of eating habits, no sort of WLS would work for very long.

I'd like to remind you all of a doctor who for 30 years everyone said was crazy. Now you ALL follow his advice, if not to the letter, his main idea. His name was Robert Atkins. Anyone still thing Bagels and spaghetti are health foods out there???

By-pass is a valuable and successful surgery. Over time we will see which surgery is better in the long haul. That he does a variation of by-pass is great. That is how science moves forward. Maybe his variation is not an improvement, maybe it will be the only surgery done in ten years.

I don't like the blaming of the patient here. We all got to be morbidly obese. We all tried many things that didn't work. You know there are complications with the band, it isn't a fit for everyone. I personally have had a much harder time with my band than most of you do.

To the woman who asked the original question...learn what you can, do a pro and con chart, and make your best decision. What is important is that you have surgery (assuming you have tried all the other blah blah). To me, which kind of surgery is a toss up.

I'm not saying the band is right for everyone, but this guy is bashing the band and it does work for some. I think the people being interviewed have been coached. There is another woman the is about to have the mini bypass and she says the exact same thing about the band...milk shakes and Cookies. Seems odd that 2 different women at 2 different times make the same statement. And the fact that he is using youtube.com to bash another surgery seems underhanded. I would not even consider having bypass, and some may feel the same way. These videos may keep people from being banded, and they may never get help. Just seems to me that this doctor should promote his surgery, not bash another. ~Mandy

I'd like to remind you all of a doctor who for 30 years everyone said was crazy. Now you ALL follow his advice, if not to the letter, his main idea. His name was Robert Atkins. Anyone still thing Bagels and spaghetti are health foods out there???

No, but neither do I think high-fat protien and limited veggies/fruit are either.

I do a moderate approach. Whole grains, veggies, some fruit, low-fat Protein. I feel best and do best on that.

lisah25,

that was my dramatic attention get-er. I actually think that one diet doesn't fit all. Some people do well on high carb diets, thou I think those are mostly naturally thin people...lol.

but, just for sake of a friendly debate as work is slow...if you look at the entirety of the Atkins lifestyle, not just the first two weeks, its really not low veg or low fruit. Even in the first two weeks of the diet you are to eat two cups of veggies a day. I know when i was morbid, I rarely ate two cups of healthy veggies a day. So for me, atkins was high veggies. everything is relative.

As for high fat, the jury is still out. i suspect the future will show high fat is not unhealthy...we will see.

of course this has nothing to do with the thread, and its all my fault.