Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Inquires

Hello, I'm brand new to this site and have been researching surgery on and off for a while. I am 5'4" and 268 (last I checked.) Which puts my my BMI around 49. I have borderline personality disorder, depression, PCOS and general back pain otherwise my cholestrol and blood sugar is normal.

I'll be going to an informational meeting next week about surgery, but I'm looking to prepare myself ahead of time as to the process pre-op that you had to go through. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

MP

I also have pcos and my md said the symptoms will go away. I had surgery sept 19. I am down 50lbs and i am off insulin... good luck

HI :) We have the same stats. 5'4 and 268 is not a 49 BMI though, it's a 46 :) Good luck with everything. Do you need to do a psych eval? I don't think the depression and BPD will be a problem, unless it's not being treated. Good luck!

That's good to know about our BMI, must have looked at wrong! I take medication and go to weekly group therapy for BPD. I spoke to my therapist today about it and she said based on her observations through the 6ish months I've been seeing her, I shouldn't have a problem regarding the pysch part. But we shall see!

Hello again! I went to my doctor to get her approval and sign off to begin the program and she was less than supprtive. Has anyone switched doctors just for this reason? I hate to jump doctors just to get the answer i want.

Find a Dr that supports u I just had my surgery last Monday....its a very long process but well worth it...from what I'm finding requirements differ by state innsurance and surgeon but as far as my own experience I was required to complete a 6 month monitored diet, complete blood work lose 10% of my body weight cardiac stress test pulmonary function test sleep study and attend a support group....but like I said that was m experience urs may be different but hope that helps some

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches