Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement

I should be in bed, but I just had to share this with all my wonderful Bandster family! I have a NSV!! I rode in a 20 mile bike benefit tonight! I didn't lead the pack, but I didn't bring up the rear either! I was smack dab in the middle, blending in, feeling almost normal. I wasn't the only short fat person on a bike. But I was able to hang in there and finish, without having to stop. There were plenty of "skinny minnies" stopping and resting along the shoulder.

Gosh, I don't tell this to brag! I just want to encourage each and every one of you to get out there and try things that you probably never would have dared. If you'd told me 4 months ago that I'd do this, I would have laughed so hard that my asthma would have kicked in bigtime. Now, granted, I took my celebrex and rubbed in the Ben Gay first. I may have to roll out of bed tomorrow a.m., but right now I'm on an adrenaline high. And I like it!

I wish this kind of happiness to every one!

Reach for the stars and LIVE LIFE!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That is AWESOME Marie! Isn't it amazing the difference with the weight-loss???!!! I think we are actually very strong from the years of carrying the extra weight... and then... when we lose a chunk of that weight... WATCH OUT LANCE! :rolleyes: WTG!!!!!! I love hearing about NSV's... it just makes my day!

I was just happy to be able to ride my bike the last few weekends... I got it for Christmas and the beautiful thing had just been collecting dust as it was just too uncomfortable to ride at my previous weight. I am so glad that I am able to enjoy it now and know it will just get easier and easier!

Darcy

You're so right Darcy! Just ride your bike a little bit more each day. Your family will want to ride with you. We've been going to a park, where we see spotted baby deer and mothers -- just beautiful. I didn't ride 20 miles right off the bat. We had worked up to 10 miles around the neighborhood over the last few weeks.

But tonight was magic. It was a midnight run, the temperature was perfect, and I got caught up in the fun and the spirit of the evening. It was a leisurely race and you could set your own pace. I originally planned to go 10, but when it got to the split, I thought I might never get another opportunity like this. So I chugged along and staggered off my bike at the 20 finish line. Thrilled, exhausted, and happy! I have always been short in the confidence department. I almost chickened out tonight, but I'm so glad I followed through. Plus, I got to donate some canned goods (things I don't want here to tempt me any more).

I just want to encourage anyone to try anything that they've been comtemplating. You'll pleasantly surprise yourself and the look you get from your loved ones is irreplacable!

Well Marie... I have had a hard time motivating myself for exercise... but I have had moments of clarity and or insanity when I considered doing a half marathon (walking) in September. I don't think I will make it this year... but am planning on next year for sure! I think the Walk From Obesity is going to be all I am ready for this year. :rolleyes: I can only imagine how good it would feel to finish ANY marathon and or race... must be awesome!

Off to work on our cabin... we always throw in a ride in the wooded hills... there is one hill I just can't make all the way up but I am getting further each time I try... ONE DAY... I will make it all of the way up!

Darcy

WHOO HOO!! Marie; You are my hero. Darcy: I too wanna do a walk/run marathon sometime in the near future. I was on the way to training for it when I had the last surgery. So I gotta get back to it seriously now. I started training last week but had to take a break in the middle cause I started training too hard and the port started bothering me again. I just babied it and now it is fine. But I will have to slow the process of training and get back to it this week.

I am deciding what marathon to go for. I am looking at all kinds of them. I was told that to plan for one that is 6 to 8 weeks out and train for that day. So use that as a guideline.

Marie: Your story has inspired me to push myself to get ready for that marathon. KUDO's and tears in my eyes. I can feel your excitement. NOW GET SOME REST!

Marie, congratulations! Your happiness is contagious. What a great way to get out and enjoy the unusually awesome weather we've had in Houston! I'm so happy for you.

Nancy:)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I knew you guys would really appreciate my effort! Penni, I just wanted to start "sobbing uncontrollably" when my husband said, "See what you can do!" None of those other bikers knew what a leap of faith that ride was for me. To be able to complete something and not stand out or feel ridiculed, what a confidence builder! I'll probably never wear those tight cute little spandex outfits some people had on. On the other hand....it would hold in a lot of flabby skin! Hmmmmm. (And a lot cheaper than a tummy tuck.) Maybe after I lose enough weight, I could just start wearing them under everything. Imitation lipo!

Darcy, you dust that bike off and get out there and ride with your family. Stop and smell the flowers, enjoy life with your husband and daughter. You'll be surprised at what you'll see and enjoy. Things that you would have missed, racing by in a car. You WILL get to the top of that hill!

Penni, you go girl! I know you can do any marathon that you set your sights on.

Geez. I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this post! I am in awe, Marie!! 20 miles? Wowee! That is absolutely inspirational!! I am so proud of you!! Now, I'm gonna have to go dust my bike off.. lol. You go girl!!

Hugsssssss to ya .. what a great thing to lift your ego!!

Leatha

I am a very wobbly bike rider and I have an old, cheap bike. My biggest fear was getting started off last night. I just knew someone would stop in front of me and I'd wipe out. But it didn't happen. Things just worked out that I was able to complete this night ride. If it had been in broad daylight, I probably wouldn't have even considered it. I'm not a showy person. I'm the one who would rather take the zero in class, than give an oral report. I can't begin to tell you how fast my heart was beating at the start.

I'm not pushing how far you go, just that you find something that you can enjoy and do regularly. Since we've been out casually cruising around the neighborhood, I've met a lot of neighbors. I find myself smiling more and feeling happier.

I'm not isolated in this house, like I was for so many years. Instead of waiting for the family to leave, so I could hit the pantry and frig., I'm the one who's saying, "Let's go do something." I love having more energy and not letting life pass me by.

Best of luck to everyone!

Whipple, your life is already focusing on hope, You're getting your band to give you hope to live a better, happier, healthier life. The possiblities of what we can do with our lives are endless. You'll find the particular little niche that you're looking for and you'll do great! Sometimes it just takes a little while. Best of luck to you!!