Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Trying To Be A Downer But?

Awesome question to post. I want to follow this thread and see what are folks feeling afterwards about themselves, their health, their life?

I can't say that I ever suffered from depression so not a lot I can offer there. But...

Type 2 diabetes - gone

High blood pressure - gone

Cholesterol - normal

Back and knee pain - gone

sleep apnea - gone

Weight loss - 125 lbs

Is it everything I thought it would be? That and more. Truly life changing in every way imaginable.

Am I happy? I Celebrate my new life every single day.

Am I off the meds I was on pre-op? Absolutely.

You're gonna love the new you!!

That is completely awesome!!

Yes Yes Yes

Would I do it all over again YES.

Before surgery I was on 11 different Med's 13 weeks later I'm on 2 A acid blocker and gallbladder Med's that's all. No more diabetes no high blood pressure no slep apnea leg pain is going away.

I feel better then I have felt in years I have more energy want to go to the gym love working out. Best of all I love how I look and can't wait till I hit target weight.

And my wife loves the new me to

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

thats awesome!!! how much did you weigh the day of surgery? age too

Day of surgery I weighed 290 lbs at 52 years of age

ahhh ok, if you were on diabetes meds, I take metformin 750 ER 3 times a day. my endo told me he is worried that when i have the surgery i could then have such lows that i would have hypoglycemia. Makes me a little nervous. has anyone that has had the surgery had these lows ?

ahhh ok' date=' if you were on diabetes meds, I take metformin 750 ER 3 times a day. my endo told me he is worried that when i have the surgery i could then have such lows that i would have hypoglycemia. Makes me a little nervous. has anyone that has had the surgery had these lows ?[/quote']

You will have to wait and see I was on metformin glipazide and insulin my blood sugars were running 295-370 after surgery my bloods sugars are running 100-130 depending on when and how much I eat.

My endo was happy that I was having WLS and gave her blessing

Wait and see is all I can say everyone may be happy

I had taken a 1 mg if glimeride and had severe lows. Then cut it in half and still had them so i stopped. But now that i am on the 750 metformin my sugar runs very good. My endo is the one who recommended the surgery but he is just a little hesitant . Maybe because i may not need him anymore lol

I had taken a 1 mg if glimeride and had severe lows. Then cut it in half and still had them so i stopped. But now that i am on the 750 metformin my sugar runs very good. My endo is the one who recommended the surgery but he is just a little hesitant . Maybe because i may not need him anymore lol

You may have something there. My endo said she could live with one less patient . Go figure.

You sound like your what we call a diabetic light where it's not that hard for you to hit low blood sugars. Where I had a hard time with insulin just getting my numbers down to 200 . My endo wanted me on a insulin pump.

Glad your not as bad as I was but this surgery has turned my world around and every day I wonder why I waited so long to have it. My 12 year old loves that dad can now play ball and have the energy to try and keep up with him.

You to will see the difference after your surgery and wonder to why you waited so long

That really sounds good Paul, i am excited. being an old 56 yr old with a 5 yr old granddaughter she needs her Memaw around alot.

I thought my sugar was bad because for 4 yrs my reg doctor had me on metformin 500, and it just wouldnt lower my sugars. it was horrible and i complained so much that i could not understand that when i got up in the mornings after sleeping 6 to 8 hours and my fasting sugar was always between 200 and 250, she just wouldnt try anything else and I asked to see the endocronolgist and my first visit he put me on the met 750 ER my sugars started to drop but not like he wanted them that is when he put me on the glimperide. then i started having drops to 60 and felt so bad. now i am between 100 and 160 just depends on what i have ate. i like it better, she had told me once if i was to lose the weight off my belly i would not be a diabetic, go figure

She's right but there is still no guarantee that you will be diabetic free. My mother in law is so upset that she is not diabetic free after surgery she is not on insulin any more just oral Med's but hay she has lost a lot of weight and looks good.

For me I will always have to watch my blood sugars Becuse it runs in the family and I have been the unlucky one to have gotten it at a early stage in life around 20 years old when I was in shape and really health.

You will be suprised with the transformation after surgery, you will be able to chase that 5 year old around and live longer and watch him grow up and maybe see more grand kids in the future.

That's my plan to watch my 12 year old boy grow up and have kids of his own.

You are headed in the right direction

I wont mine just watching the carb intake for the diabetes, i need to keep it in my mind if i slip that is where i will head again. but i am hoping with my age, and not looking to get pregnant, so dont have to worry about that, and i have went through menapause, I am praying i use this tool and eat right and live right and just be healthier and med free that is my goal. I feel so sad for the younger ones on this forum and in the world, who have become overweight at such a younger life. teens and 20s. I cant even begin to know what they went through as a young adult and over weight. i started getting heavy at 28 after my son and then a very bad bout of depression from my 1st marriage so the pounds added on. but to me i feel as i am sure alot of folks do. that back in the 50's 60's and 70's our foods from veggies to meats were not injected with all those hormones and perservatives as they are now and I blame that on child obesity, and so many single parents that had to work so many jobs that they werent able to make good meal choices for the kids. I was a single parent and my son luckily is very tall and thin like all of his uncles, he is 6'5 and weighs around 200, but he doesnt look like it. as far as more grand babies. he says it wont happen again lol. just my girl Jada is all i will have, and I am happy with that.

I'm 5 months after surgery and list about 55 lbs but prior to surgery I also lost to qualify so its about a total of 110 lbs in a little over a year. I have never felt better. I'm 60 years old and have more energy less body pain no diabetes or hbp. It is like a dream come true. Absolutely no complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

thanks yall' date=' it really helps talking to you, I have faith that god will see me through this. My endo just scared me yesterday so i had all these questions come up

thank you[/quote']

I was tachycardic and diabetic and have depression. I'm only 34 and get fat till 10 years ago but could never get the weight off. I even had lapband and that didn't work. I'm only 8 days post op of removal of band and conversion to bypass. I have a 3 yr old that I need to run around and play with. My blood sugar has stayed btwn 80 and 90 so already no more diabetic meds and my heart rate is now normal. I already feel so positive about everything and have so much Faith that this time I will get all my weight off.

Lisa :-) surgery date: Dec. 4th, 2012

Only 8 days post op

High weight 240

Current weight 226

Age 34

Lisa :-) surgery date: Dec. 4th, 2012