Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Has Gastric Bypass Surgery Effected Your Marriage?

I'm just curious how having gastric bypass surgery has effected your marriage? I'm concerned that my husband isn't going to be able to handle it. He is so accustomed and content with a lazy, inactive, food/marijuana based lifestyle that he is beginning to resent the healthy choices I am making for myself. I am no longer "okay" with meidocre and only want the best for myself, my future and his as well. We've been married 7 years and have always had issues when it comes to the lifestyle choices he makes. I'm just curious to hear others experiences. Sorry for the rant.

Marriage is hard without surgery. Personal experience for me... is my confidence is through the roof and right now I am concentrating on me. After 21 years of marriage he is just gonna have to enjoy the ride. I have put myself on the back burner for far to long. It sounds selfish I know but I just have to work on me right now. Physically its life altering... mentally...whole different ball game.

If your marriage isnt strong before surgery.....it wont be after surgery! Things change when your husband sees you making positive changes, and it will cause issues if he doesnt support you and your efforts. I am happy to say my husband and I discussed the surgery and changes before I had surgery....and we had a clear understanding of my reasons for doing it, and that I dont intend to replace him or our life together....I just wanna be able to participate in our life and live long enough to see our kids grow up!

My marriage is working out for the best & sex is so good.

I'm 2&1/2 weeks post op. My husband can't wait for me to get in better shape so I will ride bikes, kayak and rollerblade etc. I don't look forward to those activities. I feel like he is making this about him. I understand he's excited for me to be more active but jeez!

I'm 2&1/2 weeks post op. My husband can't wait for me to get in better shape so I will ride bikes' date=' kayak and rollerblade etc. I don't look forward to those activities. I feel like he is making this about him. I understand he's excited for me to be more active but jeez![/quote']

Lmbo I would love to ride a bike &. Roller blade.

Lol right now my main goal is too have energy after being at work all day!

My wife is so happy with me. She watches and cares so much. We took a vacation and she was amazed and proud that I was able to make it through the zoo without having to stop and rest several times. The only problem is when my Protein dropped and started feeling weak.

My husband is so not on board. I fixed his plate tonight for dinner and he said it wasn't enough food to make him feel full. I got so angry! That type of thinking will make me gain weight in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Totally understand that! Mine will eat 3 donuts in one day, directly from a box of cheeze its, in front of me. I suggested he have a small portion in a bowl. He acts like I'm crazy. He can eat and eat, he hasn't slowed down with my surgery. I was hoping it would make him more conscious of how he eats. It's torture for me.

Totally understand that! Mine will eat 3 donuts in one day' date=' directly from a box of cheeze its, in front of me. I suggested he have a small portion in a bowl. He acts like I'm crazy. He can eat and eat, he hasn't slowed down with my surgery. I was hoping it would make him more conscious of how he eats. It's torture for me.[/quote']

My husband is the same way. He is very supportive of me. He will eat a whole cheese steak and I just nibble on the meat. I also try to remember that I am the one who had surgery not him. But my kids also eat like him. I try and buy lots of fruits and veggies fresh for them to eat as Snacks instead if chips and candy.< /p>

I try not to force smaller portions on them. But I just wont cook as much now. I make just enough for everyone to get a good serving. That's my litter secret.

Sent from my Android Phone using RNYTalk

My wife was on board from the git go and has been my rock. She watches out that I'm getting enough of the healthy stuff and not slip and cheat. She is always looking for good health stuff for me to eat she makes me walk when I'm tired. And the love life has never been this good. I'm not afraid she will leave me and she knows I'm not going anywhere. She is My Love My life My Soul

I feel bad for those that have spouses that are that stuck up on them selfs or are just afraid for the future. Do they think that WLS will change the way we love them (NO) what changes is their attitude towards our weight loss. It's like they want us fat and unhealthy to make them feel better about them selfs.

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I'm glad in away I'm single so my life won't revolve around anyone but myself so that when I have the surgery all I need to worry about is myself. I need 110% focus to do this for myself and my future and then look for a partner once I'm fit and healthier