Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am through with all my tests and am now waiting approval from my insurance. While I know that this is what i want and need, there is a little part of me that is terrified.

I'd like to know if any of you have had complications, and also how you've dealt with the pshycological aspect of this surgery. If you could do it over again, would you?

I am through with all my tests and am now waiting approval from my insurance. While I know that this is what i want and need' date=' there is a little part of me that is terrified.

I'd like to know if any of you have had complications, and also how you've dealt with the pshycological aspect of this surgery. If you could do it over again, would you?[/quote']

7 weeks out n yes my beginning was nerve wracking, but I knew for me the health benefit outweighed all the bad that could happen. I just took that little dought out of my head by tellin myself this is going to be a great thing for me I've had no complications but I truthfully think that the mind as a lot of power and would do it all over again yes without hesitation

I didn't have big complications. One month non stop vomiting. Another time non stop vomiting 7 days but I was open up a little when I had the endoscopy done.

If I would was to do it again. I wouldn't.

I feel great I have no issues no nothing but I wouldn't do it again simply because I feel that even if I would had took me longer with a dietician & exercise I would had lost the weight. I'm very determine & I didn't give my self a chance & since I love eating I guess I would had fail but I'm fix now but I wouldn't do it again.

This was the best decision for me but wouldn't do it again.

I didn't have big complications. One month non stop vomiting. Another time non stop vomiting 7 days but I was open up a little when I had the endoscopy done.

If I would was to do it again. I wouldn't.

I feel great I have no issues no nothing but I wouldn't do it again simply because I feel that even if I would had took me longer with a dietician & exercise I would had lost the weight. I'm very determine & I didn't give my self a chance & since I love eating I guess I would had fail but I'm fix now but I wouldn't do it again.

This was the best decision for me but wouldn't do it again.

It was a choice of living with all my health complications n a lot of meds or the surgery to help me so I did it n it's been the best thing it's the only reason why I would do it again I'm almost off all my meds just a little longer n I'm off I feel like jumping up n down like a kid when I think of it ....LOL

I would od it again in a second, this surgery tool really helps you contain your over eating and gives you a good boost of immediate weight loss to be positive and stick with it, you have no choice. Many times in the past my diets failed because I did not stick with it or I did not see results as fast as I wanted. So with RNY, you see results real quick which helps for you to stay focused.

High blood pressure - gone.

Type 2 diabetes - gone.

Cholesterol - normal.

sleep apnea - gone.

Back and knee pain - gone.

Weight loss - 120+ lbs. (actually 126 at today's weight).

Waist size - Pre-op: 48" - 50". Post-op (11 months): 36"

95% of Prescription meds - gone.

Dealing with the psychological aspect - it starts with "finding your why". I found mine.

• Health - Obesity is a progressive, degenerative disease that is the second leading cause of premature, preventable death in the U.S. The links between obesity and heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and a dozen other serious diseases are well documented and virtually undeniable.
  • Options - Diet and exercise as a treatment for folks with a BMI of 30 or greater is a myth. It is a statistical virtual impossibility with a failure rate approaching 100%. And science is just now beginning to understand why - http://www.drsharma....or-obesity.html . For more information - "Medicare's Search for Effective Obesity Treatments - Diets Are Not the Answer" - http://motivatedandf...s_dont_work.pdf . Bariatric surgery is the single most effective weight loss option known to medical science - by a very wide margin. The September 19, 2012 Journal of the American Medical Association reported the results of a study done with 1,156 surgery participants 18 - 72 years old, along with two control groups totalling more than 700 participants. One key aspect of their findings: "At 2 years, 99 percent of surgical patients had maintained more than 10 percent weight loss from baseline and 94 percent had maintained more than 20 percent weight loss. At 6 years, 96 percent of surgical patients had maintained more than 10 percent weight loss from baseline and 76 percent had maintained more than 20 percent weight loss". Read more at: http://medicalxpress...higher.html#jCp
  • Quality of life - The ability to go into any store, anywhere, anytime knowing that there will be endless options for the new you. The ability to walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath. The ability to play with your children (and grandchildren) for more than five minutes. The ability to take a long walk in the woods with your black lab and actually enjoy every delicious, pain free moment of it. The thrill of looking in the mirror every day and thinking that you look pretty damned amazing. The knowledge that you almost certainly will live a longer, happier, more fulfilling life. The ability to comfortably sit in a restaurant booth. Or an airline seat. The almost limitless energy that you had long since forgotten. Just plain feeling good about yourself for the first time in a long time. Living your life free of the "obesity stigma" - that only those of us who have been there can really understand. The absolute elation of knowing that you did it. That it's sustainable. And that you are finally in control.

Complications - zero.

Would I do it again? - If I had it to do all over again there is one thing, and only one thing, that I would change. I'd do it twenty years earlier!

How to compete with what Dave just said... Can't but agree 100 percent. It is life changing and I feel so much better then I have in over 20 years. It's just the tool I needed to feel in control again!!!

WOW. Thank you each and every one for your honest opinions. I'm waiting insurance approval and know in my heart that I want and need this more than anything, and yes, Dave! I've found my psychological reasons (many of them) but guess I just needed some affirmation. I have tried and failed more times than I can count, like most of you, and desperately need this tool. I Lso wish I'd thought about this earlier in my life, but hey, I still have at least another 20 years of living to do.

I would do it in a heartbeat. In 2 months I've lost enough weight that I am skinnier than I have been in 9 years! My complications have been minor. Mild back & neck pain due to scoliosis adjusting. Vomiting because I havent successfully mastered eating slowly (i have 1 1/2 y.o. twins)

I have more energy than I did as a teenager.

New Life Started 07/24/12

Wow Dave, that was truly inspiring.

This forum is the best. I know now more than ever I need this tool.