Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less Than Supportive

OK...how do you all deal with that one or two people who question your decision to have RNY?

I know how I want to respond, but there must be a more tactful way of handling it.

So far I have been overwhelmed by the support of friends and family.

The new me is gonna be awesome.

Jeff

Jeff don't worry about them it is ur decision to do this for you and you are the only one that matters in this situation if they can't be supportive no need for them to be around

What don said. Also I just don't talk to a lot of people about this. Not secretive, just don't really need to hear a lot of different opinions from people that don't have a clue. Surround yourself with those who support you and come here for knowledge and encouragement and just let the others roll off your back. This is about you.

Jeff, Have to agree with Vicki and Don. What point would it serve to say anything to anyone who is negative. It may make you feel good in the short term to tell them what you really think but it wont sway them to your side. Keep the positive flow going and just dont engage in any conversations with them about your surgery. Its such a life changing experience... dont let anyone tell you its not... I know for me it has changed my life.

There comes a time in your life that you realize who your true friends are and the rest you just have to decide to leave behind. Let the new you shine and your true friends will be there with you no matter what :)

Jeff, just remember you did this to change your life

If they really love you they'll come around

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

My family supports me ,but they are all saying

Oh I have to go on a diet I can't let you get smaller than me

I tell them whatever do yo thang

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I am in the beginning stages of this process and it took a lot of soul searching to realize I need this tool for help. I have only told a hand full of people and so far they are supportive. There will always be those people that don't support or they pretend they are supportive. You have to remember one thing....this is for you and no one else. They might be more nervous that you are having surgery but it might show they are against the whole process. Trust me I am scared of the reaction when I tell people around me that I'm getting the surgery but no matter the reaction I know that this process is for me. Just remind yourself that in the end you will be healthy. :)

Jeff I had a friend of twenty years freak out on me when I told them about the surgery. I was called lazy and that I was cheating. I even tried to tell him that it was for medical reason. He told me that I am not just doing the easy way and that I really need to not do this. Well after three days of this it dawn on me that no matter what I say he is not going to change his way and that he is not one to lean on right now. Once I did not push the issue I learn what was behind him being a butt head but it did not help those days. So my best advice is to say thank you to the person who is staying something you don't like and change the subject. You will learn who is there for you and who is not this way. It was hard to do at the time but the best thing I could do is get the surgery and move on. I pray my friend will come around and that is all I can do. Trust your good support and laugh at your bad support as much as you can.

OK...how do you all deal with that one or two people who question your decision to have RNY?

I know how I want to respond' date=' but there must be a more tactful way of handling it.

So far I have been overwhelmed by the support of friends and family.

The new me is gonna be awesome.

Jeff[/quote']

Just do you, you don't have to please anyone but yourself