Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Dr Pepper

I have been a Diet Dr Pepper drinker since I was 16 years old. I was able to stay away from it for the 1st 6 or 7 weeks after RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am now 11 weeks post op -35lbs and find myself having about half of a 12oz bottle of diet dr pepper most days. I feel badly that I cant seem to give it up. I have been getting in my required Water intake of at least 60 ounces and my required Protein of at least 60 grams daily. I have been exercising and the inches are melting off from my efforts. I have researched online and some sites say that the carbonation stretches the pouch and some say there is no proof that the carbonation does stretch the pouch. Any one have any advice on how to deal with this vice of mine? Any suggestions from my weightloss family would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I have been a Diet Dr Pepper drinker since I was 16 years old. I was able to stay away from it for the 1st 6 or 7 weeks after RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am now 11 weeks post op -35lbs and find myself having about half of a 12oz bottle of diet dr pepper most days. I feel badly that I cant seem to give it up. I have been getting in my required Water intake of at least 60 ounces and my required Protein of at least 60 grams daily. I have been exercising and the inches are melting off from my efforts. I have researched online and some sites say that the carbonation stretches the pouch and some say there is no proof that the carbonation does stretch the pouch. Any one have any advice on how to deal with this vice of mine? Any suggestions from my weightloss family would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

All I can say is my surgeon allows diet soda but it must be flat, which is why I have not had one in eight years, LOL. It is a major debate among different centers/surgeons as to if it stretches or just causes bloating. I hope you can find someway to drop it, as soda in general is not very good for you even if it is diet. Good luck!

I was told no carbonation. It stretches the pouch. I had a sugar free slurpee one day and after I had it I was so bloated. I thought about it and it is carbonated. Some people don't think it is but I asked when I went to the 7-11. It's not as strong as soda but it is carbonated. So I won be having either.

My Dr said it does stretch the pouch and the carbonated Water is hard on the lining. Better to stay away than risk it.

Thank you. I'm going to have to try harder to leave it alone. It does make me burp. I started back drinking it when I started having neausea. It did help with settling my stomach.

All I can say is my surgeon allows diet soda but it must be flat' date=' which is why I have not had one in eight years, LOL. It is a major debate among different centers/surgeons as to if it stretches or just causes bloating. I hope you can find someway to drop it, as soda in general is not very good for you even if it is diet. Good luck![/quote']

I tried shaking it up to get it flat and I couldn't drink it. I'll have to figure out how to give it up.

Thanks for the support!

I was told no carbonation. It stretches the pouch. I had a sugar free slurpee one day and after I had it I was so bloated. I thought about it and it is carbonated. Some people don't think it is but I asked when I went to the 7-11. It's not as strong as soda but it is carbonated. So I won be having either.

I accidentally bought some carbonated flavored Water right after I had surgery. Took a sip and that was a big mistake. It's weird but I wish the diet dr pepper had made me sick bc then it would be easy to stop. My mom is 9 years post op and She told me I need to give it up. She drinks a regular coke occasionally.

If you really need the taste try the sugar free syrups you can buy for the soda maker machine and use it in cold Water or on shaved ice' date=' pretty good.[/quote']

I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to try to kick it for good. I have plenty of crystal light to choose from. Soda is not necessary for me to live and i don't want to chance ruining my pouch. Thanks for the support. It really means alot.

I'm having the same problem with regular Dr. Pepper. I Don't have it daily but I still feel like I'm wasting the calories.

New Life Started 07/24/12

I'm having the same problem with regular Dr. Pepper. I Don't have it daily but I still feel like I'm wasting the calories.

I'd be scared to dump on the sugar from the regular dr pepper. Sometimes with me like today it's just a few sips and I'm good. I know it's not good for us.

I hadn't even planned to drink Sosa ever again. I was out with my kids & was dieing of thirst. My dad had a drink on ice & handed it to me. I drank it not even asking what it was. It tasted sooooo good I drank more than I should have. I didn't dump either which I wish I had because then the temptation would be eliminated.

*soda lol, attack of the big thumb

I had the same problem but with Diet Pepsi Lime !!!! I was totally addicted, I drank 6 -8 cans of it a day !!! I do not drink coffee or tea just diet pepsi lime. I went cold turkey after surgery, I tasted it about a month ago and it tasted discusting to me, I totally lost my taste for it. My doctor also says NO SODA due to the carbonation, they did not say it stretches the pouch just that its has too much carbonation. And that is what I like in drinks the fizz !!!! I can only have a few sips of soda every now and then and it is usually diet ginger ale. I am soooooo glad I lost the taste for the diet pepsi lime because it made me kick my soda addiction !!!! Good luck, I know where you are coming from -- it is difficult !!!!

I had the same problem but with Diet Pepsi Lime !!!! I was totally addicted' date=' I drank 6 -8 cans of it a day !!! I do not drink coffee or tea just diet pepsi lime. I went cold turkey after surgery, I tasted it about a month ago and it tasted discusting to me, I totally lost my taste for it. My doctor also says NO SODA due to the carbonation, they did not say it stretches the pouch just that its has too much carbonation. And that is what I like in drinks the fizz !!!! I can only have a few sips of soda every now and then and it is usually diet ginger ale. I am soooooo glad I lost the taste for the diet pepsi lime because it made me kick my soda addiction !!!! Good luck, I know where you are coming from -- it is difficult !!!![/quote']

I was that way with Pepsi before I quit soda. I tried it once after my surgery and it was disgusting! Uck! How did I ever like that stuff? Dr. Pepper now, that's a different story. I have gone as much as 2 years without soda and tasted it & it is so good. Yum! I will say its much easier to resist now than it was pre surgery. I have had so much trouble with vomiting since surgery that before I ingest anything I ask myself if its worth it. The answer is usually no.