Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little unnerved

Hello everyone, on Tuesday I went to Moncton to meet with Dr. Beausoleil's team for an information day along with 4 other patients who are awaiting surgery. The day was filled with 8 hours of very good info. I was however unnerved to hear that Dr. B lost a 3rd patient in November, she was 38 yearold mother of 4, I believe the nurse said it was due to an embolism. I am still determined to have the surgery(banding). What I am wondering is how did all of you who had the surgery get past the worry of the what if's? I'm trying very hard not to obsess about the very low risk of death, but it is really hard not to.

Thankyou for reading and listening.

Sherrylynn

The way I got over my fear of death was weighing the risk of the surgery vs the risk of staying obese. My health was starting to go, borderline diabetes and high blood sugar. I know if I had stayed on the path I was on, I wouldn't have been around for long.

I agree with ousooner.

But....if I heard my doc lost 3 patients, I have to be honest...I would have some real concerns and consider someone else. How many has he done it total? He lost 3 out of how many (that would tend to make a difference)....but it would concern me enough to find that statistical info out and then I may or may not decide to change docs.

That being said, it is completely normal to feel nervous about it and to think of the "whatifs".....if not, you woulnd't be human!

As ousooner said, it's a matter of balancing the risks. At my age of 53 this surgery was my last chance. My health was tumbling so fast I was just about too late. All my life I was a healthy, strong guy. I was given a gift of great health and vigor. I threw it away by becoming morbidly obese. I'm determined now to turn things around to the extent I am still able.

The bottom line is, early death is virtually certain with obesity. In contrast, there is only a small chance of death with the surgery. When these two risks are put on the balance scale and measured realistically, the answer is obvious and there is really no decision to make.

This is not to say that your fears are "wrong" or unjustified. Everyone has them. I certainly did. But in resolving them it's really just a matter of coming to terms with the sobering realities of obesity.

I am not sure how many in total he has done. He has been doing the surgery for just over 2 years I believe. the first 2 patients were in their 60's and he no longer does surgery on anyone over 54. i think he is doing an average of 3-4 surgeries a week of this kind he does many other types of surgery and does not have as mush time as he would like for WLS. Someone else on this site may know a little more about him. He is the only surgeon in the maritime provinces who performs WLS. He has at the moment over 700 on his waiting list.

Hi there Sherrylynn, I also was concidering that Dr. in NB and tried to talk with his receptionist twice,but I really did'nt get good vibes (may have been just me)so I gave Dr.Cobourn's office an e-mail,the next thing I knew Dr. Cobourn phoned me and I had a much better comfort level with him.I did'nt ask if he's lost a patient or not maybe someone else knows.NB would have been more convienient for me but I feel like I made the right decision for now. Good luck

thankyou everyone for the nice replies and i agree with the risk of death being so slight i am going ahead with it. astrotoes im sorry you didnt have a good feeling when you contacted Dr. B's office, they have been very nice to me when i have called to this point. i have been on his waiting list for 2 years now. yoda , i have waited so long for this now i have to go with Dr. B... as he is the second doctor i have tried, the first retired befor I moved up his list. i am very close to getting my surgery date. i am very emotional right about now.....scared and worried but feeling i have to press on.

all the best sherry.....overall the odds are VERY much in your favour.....it is normal to feel the way you are, so try not to let it get to you too much.

(((hugz)))

Hi Sherrylynn , I understand your emotions fully and I think from what I read everyone here has went through it.I'm so glad for you that you have moved up their list and don't worry about me getting the bad vibe I likely just hit a receptionist having a bad day(we all have them).Keep in touch and let us know how your doing.