Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Protein Intake

What's a good amount of Protein we should get in daily post-op and pre-op?

Every doctor's requirements are a little different. My doctor want you to get min. 64 grams of Protein a day. I do better on a bit more, I usually try to get in 80 grams/day. I use the Isopure low carb whey protein to get my 64 in a shake and the rest is from yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. etc.

I try to get 65-90 grams a day. I went thru a bout of hairloss and a couple of stalls and the Protein helps on both accounts. Or so I have found.

Thnk you both ive been tryna see or rather start a meal plan now.

My surgeon requires all of her patients to get 100g a day. Challenging at first but it gets easier pretty quickly. I have a Pure Protein Shake every day for Breakfast (35g of protein) and the rest comes from food. I've averaged 95g plus for going on eleven months. Pre-op is a great time to try different Protein Shakes, powders, bars, etc. Buy very small quantities until you find the one or ones that you like. Protein is extremely important post-op so it's worth the effort! You're gonna love the new you!!

My surgeon requires all of her patients to get 100g a day. Challenging at first but it gets easier pretty quickly. I have a Pure Protein shake every day for breakfast (35g of protein) and the rest comes from food. I've averaged 95g plus for going on eleven months. Pre-op is a great time to try different Protein shakes' date=' powders, bars, etc. Buy very small quantities until you find the one or ones that you like. Protein is extremely important post-op so it's worth the effort! You're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

What I am finding difficult is keeping it low calorie and high protein, what is a day like for you? TIA

Breakfast is the Protein shake - 160 to 170 calories and 35g of Protein.< /p>

"Brunch" for lack of a better word, usually three hours after breakfast, is often half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Turkey Sausage Bowl (120 calories and 11g of protein), or half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Canadian Bacon and Egg Honey Wheat Muffin (105 calories and 7g of protein) or half of a Weight Watchers Smart Ones - Ham & cheese Scramble (220 calories and 10g or protein). As you can probably tell, I love eggs (actually egg whites in all of these) and turkey anything.

lunch, usually three hours after brunch, is often 6 or 8 medium cooked shrimp (the packaged shrimp you can get at just about any store) with cocktail sauce (110 calories and 15g to 18g of protein), one or two Babybel light Mini Originals (50 calories and 6g of protein each), and five to seven Kashi Peta Crisps (60 to 90 calories and 1.5 to 3.0g of protein). Sometimes I substitute 3.5oz of canned tuna salad made with light mayo and diced sweet pickle for the shrimp (185 calories and 24g of protein). Other times I eat the second half of brunch. Still other times I make a canned chicken salad instead of the tuna.

dinner varies all over the place. chicken, fish and turkey are all great, high protein foods and we love all of them. Usually accompanied by steamed fresh vegetables, sometimes canned green Beans, or pinto Beans, or spinach, or even new potatoes. Other times we make a fresh spinach salad with light balsamic vinegarette. Turkey burgers (without the bun - bread and I still don't get along too well) are great. Occasionally a pork roast. And maybe once a month or so we bbq some steaks - usually sirloin with all visible fat removed. Turkey chili, tilapia, scallops, salmon, turkey meatballs, and chicken are all great options.

And about an hour after dinner, we have a cup of coffee with Splenda and flavored Creamers (not sugar free) for dessert just about every evening.

I have a food logging app on my phone and I record everything I eat. Occasionally I have a day where I fall short of protein for one reason or another. I keep a supply of Pure Protein chocolate Deluxe bars on hand for those occasions (200 calories and 20g of protein). But I know at any point during the day what my protein intake has been so I usually don't have to resort to the bars to get my 100g of protein or pretty close.

Hope that helps!!

Breakfast is the Protein shake - 160 to 170 calories and 35g of Protein.

"Brunch" for lack of a better word' date=' usually three hours after breakfast, is often half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Turkey Sausage Bowl (120 calories and 11g of protein), or half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Canadian Bacon and Egg Honey Wheat Muffin (105 calories and 7g of protein) or half of a Weight Watchers Smart Ones - Ham & cheese Scramble (220 calories and 10g or protein). As you can probably tell, I love eggs (actually egg whites in all of these) and turkey anything.

lunch, usually three hours after brunch, is often 6 or 8 medium cooked shrimp (the packaged shrimp you can get at just about any store) with cocktail sauce (110 calories and 15g to 18g of protein), one or two Babybel light Mini Originals (50 calories and 6g of protein each), and five to seven Kashi Peta Crisps (60 to 90 calories and 1.5 to 3.0g of protein). Sometimes I substitute 3.5oz of canned tuna salad made with light mayo and diced sweet pickle for the shrimp (185 calories and 24g of protein). Other times I eat the second half of brunch. Still other times I make a canned chicken salad instead of the tuna.

dinner varies all over the place. chicken, fish and turkey are all great, high protein foods and we love all of them. Usually accompanied by steamed fresh vegetables, sometimes canned green Beans, or pinto Beans, or spinach, or even new potatoes. Other times we make a fresh spinach salad with light balsamic vinegarette. Turkey burgers (without the bun - bread and I still don't get along too well) are great. Occasionally a pork roast. And maybe once a month or so we bbq some steaks - usually sirloin with all visible fat removed. Turkey chili, tilapia, scallops, salmon, turkey meatballs, and chicken are all great options.

And about an hour after dinner, we have a cup of coffee with Splenda and flavored Creamers (not sugar free) for dessert just about every evening.

I have a food logging app on my phone and I record everything I eat. Occasionally I have a day where I fall short of protein for one reason or another. I keep a supply of Pure Protein chocolate Deluxe bars on hand for those occasions (200 calories and 20g of protein). But I know at any point during the day what my protein intake has been so I usually don't have to resort to the bars to get my 100g of protein or pretty close.

Hope that helps!![/quote']

Thank you, of course this does! Another question though do you do your Protein Shake with Water? I do the vanilla pure protein but w/ milk and it comes out to 230 calories. I have that every morning and then a 1/2 to 1 c of protein (i.e., crab salad, egg salad made w/ greek yogurt, soup) 3 times a day and have my protein pudding at night.

What's a good amount of Protein we should get in daily post-op and pre-op?

My doctor wants me to have 50-80 grams of Protein

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

Thank you, of course this does! Another question though do you do your Protein shake with Water? I do the vanilla pure Protein but w/ milk and it comes out to 230 calories. I have that every morning and then a 1/2 to 1 c of protein (i.e., crab salad, egg salad made w/ greek yogurt, soup) 3 times a day and have my protein pudding at night.

I prefer the shakes with skim milk as well. I can drink them made with Water but milk is also an excellent source of protein and Calcium and improves the taste. I have to confess to sometimes drinking the ready-to-drink shakes as well. I don't know what they do differently in the can that I can't seem to replicate with the powder but the cans still have the best taste - but about twice as expensive. Ugh!!

Its so odd how different docs have different requirements. I do 5-6 meals/snacks a day. 64 oz Fluid and at least 60 grams of Protein are required. I'm usually somewhere in the 60s for my protein but I've been losing steady....85 lbs and I'm 12 weeks post op today. Wonder what benefit I'd get from taking in more protein?

Its so odd how different docs have different requirements. I do 5-6 meals/snacks a day. 64 oz Fluid and at least 60 grams of Protein are required. I'm usually somewhere in the 60s for my Protein but I've been losing steady....85 lbs and I'm 12 weeks post op today. Wonder what benefit I'd get from taking in more protein?

From what I hear the peotein woll help u loose more ans lessen hair lose.

Its so odd how different docs have different requirements. I do 5-6 meals/snacks a day. 64 oz Fluid and at least 60 grams of Protein are required. I'm usually somewhere in the 60s for my Protein but I've been losing steady....85 lbs and I'm 12 weeks post op today. Wonder what benefit I'd get from taking in more protein?

85 lbs at 12 weeks is 8 lbs a week - I wouldn't change a thing! Great job!!

Breakfast is the Protein shake - 160 to 170 calories and 35g of Protein.

"Brunch" for lack of a better word' date=' usually three hours after breakfast, is often half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Turkey Sausage Bowl (120 calories and 11g of protein), or half of a Jimmy Dean Delights Canadian Bacon and Egg Honey Wheat Muffin (105 calories and 7g of protein) or half of a Weight Watchers Smart Ones - Ham & cheese Scramble (220 calories and 10g or protein). As you can probably tell, I love eggs (actually egg whites in all of these) and turkey anything.

Hope that helps!![/quote']

I have to wonder how you find all this time to eat!

Hey Ms. Jen! I work from my home which I suppose is an advantage but I don't think it would be too difficult for me to do what I do almost anywhere.

Breakfast shake before leaving for work. Brunch requires three minutes in a microwave for the frozen stuff. lunch tuna or chicken salad takes about ten minutes to make and I can eat off of that for several days - super easy to put in a plastic container and brown bag it. I split the shrimp up into small plastic containers of one serving each and freeze them - again easy to brown bag, the Babybels are pre-wrapped so not a problem.

dinner is at home and we seldom eat anything during the week that takes more than 10 or 15 minutes to prepare. We bought a freezer for our garage so that we can make or buy large quantities of stuff and then freeze it into smaller portions. We make chili, turkey stew, turkey Soup, turkey shepherd's pie, etc. Divide them up into individual servings and then freeze them. We steam most of our vegetables which usually takes less than ten minutes. I suppose when you read it all in one post it sounds like a lot but honestly it really isn't that big of a deal. My wife and I have talked about the fact that we spend much LESS time now with cooking than we ever did pre-op. The extra freezer space has been a huge plus!!