Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Recovery

Wow this site is really helping me out. I had my surgery on Jan 23, 07 and I was in a lot of pain. had a bit of a fever yesterday but I am doing much better today. I think I have a lot to learn. I am getting hungry now too but I think its due to the healing process. I have to keep reading here.

Hi there.

I have my surgery on Feb 8th. So how was it the first day of surgery. I was told I can't have anything to even drink that day, even ice chips, until the next morning when the do an x-ray to make sure everything is ok. Did you have to do that?

What is the pain from? Does it feel crampy?

I was told I could only have Clear Liquids. That my body would let me know how much I can have. The main pain I had was the section where the Device is at. That incision was red and swollen. I can honesly say I am 98% better today. The only part that really sucks is those air bubbles. That I am told feel as if you were having a heart attack. I have to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, then pureed food for another 2 weeks, then I can start adding solid foods. Everyone has told me that my body will let me know how much I can handle and so far it has. I have to admit I am tired of Popsicles, Jello and liquids in general LOL. But I know this will be worth it. The pain is not crampy more like sore and tender, and the air bubbles coming up are not fun I have been BURPing A LOT!! Drives me Nuts. But each day is getting better and Today I really am feeling like a million dollars compared to the last couple of days. I have a lot to learn but I think together in this chat we can all help each other out.

Thanks for the great info. Did you feel tired the first week? Some people say they are up doing normal activities a couple days after and some it seems it takes longer. I am sure it depends on the individual. I am hoping I can go back to work pretty soon after, but I won't push it. I have a desk job so I don't really have to do much moving around.

The first couple of days I was not up for doing anything. I was to tired to do much walking. I just took baby steps and about interval of 5 minute walks. I am four days our of surgey and just got back from window shopping. Trying to invision my new style heheheh. A couple of days ago I wasn't sure if I would be able to go back to work, but today I am all for it. Ready to face the world. I mean I wont be going on a jog or horseback ridding anytime soon. I too have a desk job so I know I will be able to handle it.

KAT - You are great source of info !!! Thanks for the detail on the "PB's", I too was wondering what everyone was referring to. I have my surgery on Wed. Scared to death and already impatient for the fills to work. (Patience is not my virtue). Anyway, you have pretty much the same stats as me (height, weight...) so I am very excited to see your progress. You have done a great job. If you have any more helpful hints, please feel free to share them with me! I'm all ears.

KAT - You are great source of info !!! Thanks for the detail on the "PB's", I too was wondering what everyone was referring to. I have my surgery on Wed. Scared to death and already impatient for the fills to work. (Patience is not my virtue). Anyway, you have pretty much the same stats as me (height, weight...) so I am very excited to see your progress. You have done a great job. If you have any more helpful hints, please feel free to share them with me! I'm all ears.

I just wanted to weigh in on your question about recovery, hunger and being able to feel it. I had a slightly different experience than most of the other posts. I was up and walking, about every hour to hour and a half at the hospital where I stayed overnight because the pain was not managed. I have always had a fairly high pain tolerance, but I had a burning sensation right near where my port is, everytime I tried to change positions. It was very uncomfortable. I also only took a week off work and ended up needing 3 more days. I have a desk job. I have a friend who was longer than me, and another who stopped at the grocery store for supplies on her way home from the hospital. (she is a bit of a procrastinator.) And went back to work on Monday after a Thursday surgery. So it really can very from person to person. I have not felt hungry until the last day or 2 and I am 3 weeks post op. I can feel the port if I press on it, but otherwise I don't notice it. Good luck, I wish you a fast recovery! :)

Tat1too Try installing flash again that seemed to work for me....

For those who already had the surgery...How long before these surgical tapes come off?? Oddley enough I want to see how bad the scare is :scared: and wondering if mederma would help minimize scarring.

Surgery was a breeze for me. The only pain I experienced was at the port site incisions. I took off Tues-Fri . My surgery was on a Tues and I was back to work on that Monday. I would say you don't need more than a week. Good luck.

"My surgery is Feb 8th. I am pretty nervous. All the info here has made me feel better.

Just wanted to know your experience with surgery and right after surgery. How long until you felt like you could get up and say go to the office?

Someone else told me a couple days and they were back at a office job.

Want to know if you are aware of it inside you and did you vomit at all.

Just mostly curious about what the experience was like and the first week after.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!!! :) "

Umm I was supposed to be in the hospital for an overnight stay. My surgon does a spinal anasthesia and a general. I was not able to walk till the next day. I was able to stand 12 hrs post op, but could not walk. I couldn't move my legs at all. My respiratory status bombed out a bit, and my oxygen level went down to 85. The normal is 95 and above. I also had Potassium depletion which showed up in my heart rhythm. I stayed for 2 nights and then went home. I am 9 days post op, and while I can walk and take in puree foods, I am in pain. I am a nurse and so my surgon will not let me go back to work until 4 weeks post op.

A friend of mine had an infected port site and after antibiotics, they had to go in remove the old por and put in a new one...which of course was worse then the initial surgery because she also had a wound on top of it.

Anyway, I am nto trying to scare you, but rather prepare you for what might never (hopefully) occur for you.