Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling after first fill

:help: I had my first fill last thursday. I have a 4cc band and usually my dr. does 1cc for first fill. But since I could eat everything under the sun he said he filled it "more than usual". He didn't give a number. Since my fill it seems like most things I eat cause problems. Today I tried to eat a lean cusine with chicken & rice for lunch and although I was eating it slow and chewing well I was only able to have a few bites and I am miserable. I have great pressure in my chest and I think I am what is referred to as sliming because my mouth keeps filling up with saliva.(no vomitting) I feel like I need to burp, but cant. The only things that I know don't bother me to eat are: popcorn, ice cream, certain crackers and Cereal. I haven't eaten much for fruit or vegetables because I am terrified of what will happen! I tried to eat a small piece of my birthday cake thinking that it would be ok because it was soft, but it was a nightmare! Am I eating the wrong things or am I overfilled?? Any advice would be dearly welcomed at this point!!:cry

IMO> You should not be eating cereal, popcorn, ice cream, crackers or anything like that. Birthday cake? Do I need to answer?

The rice in the LC is questionable. It makes some people have problems.

Try sipping with your meals and see if that helps. You will get used to the fill and no longer need to sip on a drink.

How is your eating at night? dinner time? Can you eat more?

The only things that I know don't bother me to eat are: popcorn, ice cream, certain crackers and cereal. ....Am I eating the wrong things or am I overfilled?? Any advice would be dearly welcomed at this point!!:cry

I'm definately not "preaching" but these items are not the best choices...especially the ice cream. If you are struggling with regular food then you may want to have a slight unfill. The band is not meant to prevent you from eating so for it to be working properly means you can eat quality food with perhaps an occasional "bandster" issue. If you cannot tolerate chicken and steamed veggies (or something similar) then I'd say you are probably too tight. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Update! My misery continued so I called drs office. Long story short I went in and had Fluid removed. I felt better immediately. I found out I was at 2ccs of 4cc band. Doesnt that seem like a lot for a first fill??? I hear what everyone is saying about my food choices but the only reason i was eating those things was bc i was having trouble with everything else! The bday cake was only bc it was my bday not an everyday thing! i could not eat anything-eggs or chicken- without trouble. I have been having problems ever since my fill- today was the final straw! I appreciate everyones support.

Suzy, allow me to share some info that my wife passed along to me. She chews every mouthful to the point that she smears it along the roof of her mouth. If she can detect even the smallest "lump" she chews it some more. She has been banded a little over a year and has only experienced one bout of sliming. And I believe that one incident taught her a very good lesson. Of course, some people never learn.......

Glad you went for an unfill. I think that a 2.0 cc fill is very aggressive. Now you should take the time to learn new eating habits and probably new foods. What you can tollerate eating from fill to fill will vary as well as day to day.

Lots of people have trouble with popcorn, chicken, steak, rice, and eggs. It is a trial by error type of process. However, there are certain foods that are generally not band friendly. This too will vary from person to person and from doctor to doctor.

Eat slow, don't drink with meals or immediately after, and chew, chew, chew. Cut everything into tiny pieces the size of a pencil eraser. Put your fork down between bites and let the food go in before taking another bite. There are many threads on this forum that go into more detail, but you get the picture.

I think a little fear about "bad" foods is good and keeps us honest. For me, I wouldn't dare try popcorn. The very thought of getting stuck on popcorn sends chills through me. There are plenty of bandsters that eat it and have no issues.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

I get my first fill tomorrow..I dont know what size I have..right now I can eat pretty much anything...I still stay away from the big heavy meals, but, have had a couple...I am hoping that doc will be somewhat aggressive with me...I am doing liquids today, and will tomorrow and tuesday too...I am not going to take any chances...geri

Good idea, Geri. Joy does a week of liquids and a week of mushies after a fill. Not her idea, her doctor's. But I must say, she has NEVER had a problem with a fill, either.

I understand your pain of the fills. After i had my first fill of 1cc I felt the tightness when I ate but that lasted about a day after the second fill now up to 1.5cc I couldn't eat a thing. Everytime I tried to eat no matter what is was it would come back up. The last straw was when I couln't even swollow Water so I had an unfill of .5cc. I was able to eat Soups and drink liquids, but was still unable to eat chicken or veggies so I had another unfill of .2cc and was prescribed previcid because now I had esophagitis. After taking the previcid I can now manage to eat about half of lean quisine meal. I lost 7lbs in 7 days not intended. This has not been a good second fill experience for me. Maybe my sweet spot for my band is 1cc, I have lost 45lbs since Oct 25, 2006.

I get my first fill on Thursday. I've gone almost three months and finally feel little restriction. The only things I ever have trouble consuming are eggs, some chicken and fried or battered foods(I know a no no!)

I'm glad to have this group of vets to lend their experience! I think sticking with liquids for 3 to 5 days is a good plan as well as giving it a couple of weeks to kick in - unless there are complications.