Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Know this is a BIG NO! But...????

I hope I am not the only one out there. I don't love, love, Coke but once in awhile really like to have it. I don't drink it everyday, so I don't want you to think I an hooked on it. But can you really never, never have it again as long as you have the LB???:guess

Anything carbonated tends to make you burp! That is hard on your band. I read that if you just have to have a Coke, to let it sit for a bit and lose some of the fizz! I highly suggest that you take small sips, just enough to appease your craving.

It will not kill you if its once in a while. My doctor said the carbonation can stretch the pouch. When I asked Dr. C the question she said there is no medical evidence of that. I just think you need to be careful that is all. Good luck.

I wasn't a big pop fan to begin with, so I haven't had any trouble avoiding it. I did try a beer a week or so ago, and that was a bad idea. While drinking it, I started to feel bloated, and very uncomfortable.

Hi,

I am a BIG time coke drinker. Of course I need to stop for the obvious reasons. I talked to a nutritionist this week, and she said after you heal a small coke every once in awhile should not be a problem. Since coke it such a huge issue for me (and probably a huge part of my weight problem) I will try to stay away from it all together. I think if you're healed though, it's fine in moderation (at least according to my doctor's nutritionist).

Gretchen

surgery date 2/23/07

I prefer plain Water and black coffee, the way god intended when she invented the bean...

If God wanted us to drink black coffee, She wouldn't have invented Coffee mate French Vanilla...Sugar free no less... :faint:

Hi,

I am a BIG time coke drinker. Of course I need to stop for the obvious reasons. I talked to a nutritionist this week, and she said after you heal a small coke every once in awhile should not be a problem. Since coke it such a huge issue for me (and probably a huge part of my weight problem) I will try to stay away from it all together. I think if you're healed though, it's fine in moderation (at least according to my doctor's nutritionist).

Gretchen

surgery date 2/23/07

I'm a Coke addict. It's been a serious problem for many years now. I'm telling myself that I cannot have any carbonated beverages or it will ruin the band. That's what I need to believe to stay away from the Coke. Coca-Cola is not something I can have every once in a while. If I have one, then I'll be drinking 2 or 3 every day before I know it.

My doctor, Doctor C, and Inamed all say that there is no evidence that carbonation can damage the band or the pouch. My doctor says it's a "theoretical" risk, but that occasional carbonation is ok. He said to use common sense and don't walk around with a 2-liter bottle of coke every day, but an "occasional" treat is ok.

I gave up all carbonation (even though I craved it BIG time for about 2 weeks after surgery... didn't crave caffeine or the flavor, just the carbonation burn), but know many people who "treat" themselves with a can of a zero carb soda (e.g. Diet Rite). And all have managed to keep their bands.

I also know someone who saves carbonated drinks for when she's stuck. She swears by them. The added burping helps her sticks move, I think.

If it was a known problem or absolute risk increase, I'd think more surgeons would outlaw it. But since it's only a no-no on a case by case basis, the theoretical aspect makes sense. But surgeon's rules are always best.

I don't drink Coke but I do love old fashioned Root Beer. So what I do is pour it into a glass, no ice or anything and put it in the fridge for several hours or even sometimes a couple days until it goes nice and flat. Then I drink it SLOOOOW, when I feel pressure in the pouch, I stop. This is usually a couple sips only then back in the fridge it goes.

I do this only rarely and I notice that over time, my cravings for sugar have reduced a lot. Haven't done the flatted root been in about six or eight months now.....