Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Is Almost A Deal Breaker!

I've come to grips about everything i must due to have by pass ,I've only got five days left until surgery, I'm doing ok. But here is the thing, I'm scared beyond scared about the catheter. To me I'm ready you cancel, I talked to the nurse and asked if I could wear a diper, of coarse she said no. She said they would put it in while I'm asleep but I'd wake up with it in, and have it in until I can pee on my own. I've never had one before. Can someone tell me how it feels, what to expect. I'm hoping I can max out on morphine when they take it out.

I never had a catheter so I'm no help sorry! For some reason they didn't use one when I had the surgery!

Most of the time they take it out before you wake up. I couldn't tell you if I had one or not. Please don't cancel your surgery for something like this. If it is painful when they remove it. How long could the pain actually last

Mine was in and out while I was asleep. I've had them for surgeries before and you can't even feel it. It doesn't hurt. It just feels weird when they take it out.

I can't imagine it's that much different for men.

Its better than peeing all over yourself!

Unfortunately I had a cath when I woke up and for the 1st day it was in I kept telling them I could feel myself going to the bathroom and they finally took it out it's not that bad and nothing worth canceling your surgery over either!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I've had them in before and while I'm sure its a little different for a guy.. for me, it didn't hurt. I've had one put in while I was awake even and it was just uncomfortable.. not painful. When they took it out, it was the same.. no pain.. and it was over pretty fast. I've had to walk around with one before to walk to the CT scan machine, that was a little awkward but wasn't painful. I think you will honestly have your mind elsewhere and having one in will be the last thing on your mind. I would definitely not cancel surgery over it. Especially if they end up taking it out before you wake up. It really sounds much worse than it really is :)

Let me tell you about the devil device. It's the most painful thing ever! The nurse pulled it out and it hurt soooo bad it took a few hours for the pain to go away. I was peeing blood the rest of the day. Thank god it's over but I hope that will be that. It was also a blast being told if I don't pee enough they were going to put it back in. Thankfully I was able to at the last minute. Never again I hope.

I'm glad you made it through. I hope everything is going well. Good luck.

The nurse probably didn't deflate the balloons enough that's why it hurt so bad. Sorry bro

i experienced 0 pain with the catheter removal. i needed the catheter. the anesthesia shut down everything and it took days before i could urinate without the catheter.

I have had a catheter at least 10 times for past surgeries. It has never hurt to have it taken out.

If you're having this much anxiety about a catheter, perhaps you should speak directly to your surgeon prior to the day of surgery.

It has been my experience in the past (for the countless tests, procedures and surgeries I have had, that the fear of the unknown can be worse than the actual procedure. An example I can give you that I experienced was the extreme anxiety I felt over having my mamogram for the first time. I heard so many horror stories about how painful it is and that they squish the breast down to a flat pancake. I equated it to having your private parts being run over by a mack truck. I put off having this important test for 2 years out of fear. The day of my mamogram, I had an anxiety attack and ended up sobbing and crying out of fear. Let me tell you--do I feel stupid! It was NOTHING! No pain, the technician was gentle and respectful and when it was over, I laughed about it with her telling her about the intense fear I had. Thankfully, everything is completely normal and I have no problem getting one yearly.

M'Lane

Poker! I'm so sorry. She must have screwed up as not deflate it. Not right! But how are you otherwise?

Definately a screw-up on the deflation part. I didn't feel a thing when mine was taken out. Just embarrassed about the nurses view of my fun bits, which is ridiculous considering the day before there was a room full of people that saw me naked. Anyways, glad you got through it and that it is now behind you. Good luck on your weight loss journey!