Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Ditto on the pants. I've dropped from 302 to 254. Went to a friends wedding last night in a suit that I could barely button back in January. Last night my wife was teasing me about looking like a little boy wearing his Daddy's suit. When I tightened my belt enough to hold my pants up the waistband would scrunch up out from under the belt and I had enough room in the coat to hide a small child or two. I'm wearing pants that I haven't been able to get into for years now. Thank God I held onto them!

Big Jake, just make sure you consult with your surgeon before starting back on the weights. Starting too heavy and/or too fast could cause problems with your surgical wounds or possibly slippage of your band. Insurance very well may not cover any repairs. It's my understanding that you can eventually do anything you did before as long as you take time to heal properly first.

Hey guys, whats up. Kinda long time poster here just checkin in on this thread.

Big Jake - For me it was roughly 3 weeks, I could have gone sooner but I had to wait for the doc to give me the ok

Hi Gents, I am currently exploring the Band option and am very interested in how Men do on the program over the first 12 months. I just hit my all time high of 292/ BMI 44 and realized thet at 38 I needed to do something for myself and family. I have always been involved in athletics, football wrestling etc, but feel that my weight has gotten aways form me, and I need some help to get me back into the range in order to get healthy and work out more.

Could one of you very helpfull and Knowledgeable kind sirs throw up a poll to track Male progress over the first year? I would be forever greatful. If i do indeed go down this route, I hope to document every step of the way, (pics too). This website is a fantastic resource and has been a great help in providing information. I am hoping to make it to about 175-185lbs in a year. I anticipate aerobic exercise 5 days a week for 45-60 min (i have a good excercise bike at home (currently doubles as a coat rack) and then eventually get into weight traning (machine) 3 time a week. please let me know if this tracks with what you all do.

Thanks again!

For as long as i can remember i have been overweight, I am not using this as the easy way out...I just don't want to imagine what i will look like in 5 years if i keep this going. I am almost 20 so....still healthy, but give it a few years and the typical obesity related health issues will start popping up. I am looking into the LB, I have a consultation on april 9th. Is everyone happy with the results?

Aloha from Hawaii. Like a lot of you has said in this thread, I have been overweight since high school. I have tried, suceeded or failed, lost, gained and gained more from every diet plan/program/drug known or unknown. I have considered GB and LB for a few years now. On this trip to Hawaii something clicked. I have spent the last 16 hours (really) on my lap top researching LB surgery. I have read everything -- FDA research, every US and MX surgeons' website -- even watched the actual LB surgery from a Hartford CT website! I planned on calling it a night a few hours ago -- but clicked on "Just for Guys" for one more thread. This has been the thread that I needed. All of you are an inspiration -- Jack and Neal rock. All of you do. My journey started Sunday morning -- tomorrow I make my first "real" calls. I live in Malibu -- so I am seriously considering Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Nothing else to say now -- just wanted to get involved. Thanks again.:notagree

Aloha from Hawaii. Like a lot of you has said in this thread, I have been overweight since high school. I have tried, suceeded or failed, lost, gained and gained more from every diet plan/program/drug known or unknown. I have considered GB and LB for a few years now. On this trip to Hawaii something clicked. I have spent the last 16 hours (really) on my lap top researching LB surgery. I have read everything -- FDA research, every US and MX surgeons' website -- even watched the actual LB surgery from a Hartford CT website! I planned on calling it a night a few hours ago -- but clicked on "Just for Guys" for one more thread. This has been the thread that I needed. All of you are an inspiration -- Jack and Neal rock. All of you do. My journey started Sunday morning -- tomorrow I make my first "real" calls. I live in Malibu -- so I am seriously considering Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Nothing else to say now -- just wanted to get involved. Thanks again.:notagree

A lot of people are happy with Dr. Ortiz. If you do live in Southern California you'd really have an advantage because you could actually return to him for aftercare. One thing to mention, there is a U.S. doc, Dr. Kirshenbaum, who I used, who does these surgeries fo $9950. See signature below for his web site. Some people say that aftercare is easier in the U.S. if you had surgery by a U.S. doc. I am not advocating one way or another. But at this point in your journey it would not be a bad idea to consider all these things. Whatever doctor you use, you should think before your surgery about what you will do for aftercare.

Good luck!

For as long as i can remember i have been overweight, I am not using this as the easy way out...I just don't want to imagine what i will look like in 5 years if i keep this going. I am almost 20 so....still healthy, but give it a few years and the typical obesity related health issues will start popping up. I am looking into the LB, I have a consultation on april 9th. Is everyone happy with the results?

The fact is, not everyone is happy with the results. I am happy with mine, most people are. But not "everyone." I would recommend spending some time reading threads in a category called "lap band complications" on this forum. Keep in mind that you will hear some bad news there, and you should not get discouraged. But you should know that some people don't lose weight, some people have bands that need to be removed for one reason or another, a few people have had some relatively serious complications that involve significant hospital time. Most people by far have good results. But not everyone. You should know about these things as you make your decision.

First off I am not BigJake the forum members dad. I noticed he just posted earlier. Hey BigJake good luck on your journey. Been reading for a while and looking forward to Thursday 3/29, my surgery date.:clap2: Just wanted to say Hi and to thanks everybody that posts here for all the good information.

Hey there fellers...

First off... You guys need to type slower as I can't read very fast and I've lurked on your thread for about a week now trying to catch up with the posts. :nervous

I too am hoping to waste (or waist) away to skinnyville, (or atleast Puggyville) as I have a consult at TLBC in Toronto CAN on April 5. My wife (Yoda on this site) has been a banded member since April 06 and her results are one of the reasons I am looking into this (also I have the fund$).

So let me introduce myself. My story is variation of all of yours. A tragic tale of love(for food), lust(for calories) and loss(fad diets), gains, losses and more gains. I have been large all my life and for health reasons I need to loose 100lbs or so. My major problem being that I can loose 20 to 30 lbs on my own but I gain back 30 or 40bs soon after. I want off this see saw! (Also I like that LEAD/PENCIL thingy :whoo:you guys mentioned earlier)

I am a Chef, so I am thinking this will be one of the more difficult things I do. I haven't seen too many others of my profession here But I am sure with will power and support from Mrs. Yoda and advise from all you Sages from time to time , I'll do just fine.

You are all an inspiration and I hope I can contribute in the future.

Hey mr. yoda, I'm doing a phone consultation with the TLBC on April 5th. Coincidence? I think not.

The fact is, not everyone is happy with the results. I am happy with mine, most people are. But not "everyone." I would recommend spending some time reading threads in a category called "lap band complications" on this forum. Keep in mind that you will hear some bad news there, and you should not get discouraged. But you should know that some people don't lose weight, some people have bands that need to be removed for one reason or another, a few people have had some relatively serious complications that involve significant hospital time. Most people by far have good results. But not everyone. You should know about these things as you make your decision.

Thanks for the advice, will do.

Also one question, what kind of questions do i ask at a consult? Like where i can get fills? What else...

Hello everyone, My first post and I wanted to say I have enjoyed reading

this "Just for US Guys thread" ...not that I don't enjoy the ladies but I want to read more relevant or is it irreverent posts.

I have a surgery date for 4/30 with Dr Fusco here in Melbourne Florida.

I'm 60 .. weigh 420...BMI is 60 and I would love to see 250 again.

I'll keep reading and posting.

"If I had known I was going to live this long

I'd have taken better care of myself"

Mickey Mantle