Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removal, Supervised Diet, And Gastric Bypass Rny All In The Next 4 Months

I had lapband surgery in March of 2004 and now am exploring the idea of a revision to gastric bypass surgery. I have been very fortunate not to have any complications from the band, I just haven't used it the way it was meant and since I'm so far into the game the chances of me losing more weight are very slim. I just discovered that my health insurance plan will exclude bariatric surgery beginning April 1, 2012. so, on a whim I decided to attend a surgical weight loss seminar sponsored by the healthcare system that I work for. The surgeon seems optimistic that he can remove the band, get my 3 month medically supervised diet complete, and get an authorization from my insurance for the gastric bypass surgery.

I'm interested in hearing about everyone's experience with RNY surgery, whether you started off banded, or not. I'm also looking for a community of support and ideas. I haven't been an active participant of a weight loss forum for quite a while, so I'm excited to be back and to make some new friends.

I had lapband surgery in March of 2004 and now am exploring the idea of a revision to gastric bypass surgery. I have been very fortunate not to have any complications from the band, I just haven't used it the way it was meant and since I'm so far into the game the chances of me losing more weight are very slim. I just discovered that my health insurance plan will exclude bariatric surgery beginning April 1, 2012. so, on a whim I decided to attend a surgical weight loss seminar sponsored by the healthcare system that I work for. The surgeon seems optimistic that he can remove the band, get my 3 month medically supervised diet complete, and get an authorization from my insurance for the gastric bypass surgery.

I'm interested in hearing about everyone's experience with RNY surgery, whether you started off banded, or not. I'm also looking for a community of support and ideas. I haven't been an active participant of a weight loss forum for quite a while, so I'm excited to be back and to make some new friends.

Welcome to our little forum here. Can't tell you much about the actual surgery (going in in 15 days). I am hoping for you that the surgeon is able to get this done for you in time. I was actually suprised at the number of people revising from a band. Good you found out about the change in your insurance, and are able to be (hopefully) proactive and get this done.

Looking forward to getting to know you (and everyone else) better..

My doc told me that they won't do bands anymore because they end up taking it out and doing the rny anyway,I wanted the band to start with.

(null)

Thanks for the support you guys. I am going to start the medically managed weight loss plan this Wednesday and I'll need to be on that for 3 months before the surgeon's office can apply for authorization to have the surgery. I'm hoping that we can make it under the wire. I'm nervous having to cram so much into such a short amount of time, especially if I end up having my band removed and am not able to get approval for the rny surgery.

Welcome to our little forum here. Can't tell you much about the actual surgery (going in in 15 days). I am hoping for you that the surgeon is able to get this done for you in time. I was actually suprised at the number of people revising from a band. Good you found out about the change in your insurance, and are able to be (hopefully) proactive and get this done.

Looking forward to getting to know you (and everyone else) better..

Best of luck for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the support you guys. I am going to start the medically managed weight loss plan this Wednesday and I'll need to be on that for 3 months before the surgeon's office can apply for authorization to have the surgery. I'm hoping that we can make it under the wire. I'm nervous having to cram so much into such a short amount of time, especially if I end up having my band removed and am not able to get approval for the rny surgery.

I hope it goes fast cause they can really screw things up when they want to!

Hi I just had my band removed after 3.5 years. I initially lost 50 pounds then started having problems. Could you tell me about the medically supervised diet? How much were you supposed to lose?

I'm starting over too after I failed with the band. I had the surgery in February 2010. By September 2010, I had a port revision because it flipped & was inaccessible. Acid reflux became a real issue, I had continuous port pain, pain in the chest. I gained back what I lost.

I now have a hiatal hernia & Barrett's esophagus (you won't know you have it unless you get an actual endoscopy). I fought with the insurance about my choice of surgeon (nearer to home) and finally was so desperate I posted my story on their Facebook. I was contacted right away by the insurance company & now I'm approved for removal of the band & RNY.

The band wasn't as safe as I thought. Barrett's esophagus can become esophageal cancer. The RNY will actually inhibit the Barrett's from progressing. I hope to have a surgery date in the next 1-2 months. The last 2 years have been traumatic, but it makes me that much more determined to succeed with the bypass.

Anyone else out there come to find they developed Barrett's & having the revision to RNY? I'm new to this forum, but after my failure at the band--I know support groups and forums are part of my plan this time around.

I'm starting over too after I failed with the band. I had the surgery in February 2010. By September 2010' date=' I had a port revision because it flipped & was inaccessible. Acid reflux became a real issue, I had continuous port pain, pain in the chest. I gained back what I lost.

I now have a hiatal hernia & Barrett's esophagus (you won't know you have it unless you get an actual endoscopy). I fought with the insurance about my choice of surgeon (nearer to home) and finally was so desperate I posted my story on their Facebook. I was contacted right away by the insurance company & now I'm approved for removal of the band & RNY.

The band wasn't as safe as I thought. Barrett's esophagus can become esophageal cancer. The RNY will actually inhibit the Barrett's from progressing. I hope to have a surgery date in the next 1-2 months. The last 2 years have been traumatic, but it makes me that much more determined to succeed with the bypass.

Anyone else out there come to find they developed Barrett's & having the revision to RNY? I'm new to this forum, but after my failure at the band--I know support groups and forums are part of my plan this time around.[/quote']

Funny reading your post, as in. It sounds just like my story! I had a band. Ended up taking a Prilosec and a Zantac twice a day. I wrestled with the insurance and Dr finally had a RNY a year ago and it was all fixed!! Good luck!!!

i had the revision too. i never heard of removing the band pre surgery tho. my doc removed it at the same time he did the rny. no point in going thru an extra surgery. he just unfilled my band about 2 months before surgery.

Have been reading a few of the post and a number of you state "i failed the band". Are you thinking that you did something wrong to cause the problem? I am angry at myself because I didn't have the research out there when I got the band. The research is now coming in. Failure of the band is large percentage and as further research goes on I think they will find it is a flaw with the band. not us screwing it up. I'm not taking blame that my band failed, the doctor knows they can slip thenwhy can't they figure out a surgical tehnique to correct that problem. Quit blaming the patient, they have had failure all these years at weight loss and now you put that on their shoulders. My band came out today, And I am totally PO'd. It slipped but in the three years I have had it, it was never checked. I was doing really well, never an issue, and the doctors have the balls to say the slippage is my fault. So as far as I am concerned the band failed me as it does in about 1/3 of banded people. BY the way more doctors are shying away from the bands because of failure. So don't blame yourself. That is my thoughts anyway..

I had the lap band in 2011 and removed it 2012. I just had RNY surgery on April 25. I am very fortunate to have a good recovery experience. So far I am down 40+ lbs which is more than I lost

Have been reading a few of the post and a number of you state "i failed the band". Are you thinking that you did something wrong to cause the problem? I am angry at myself because I didn't have the research out there when I got the band. The research is now coming in. Failure of the band is large percentage and as further research goes on I think they will find it is a flaw with the band. not us screwing it up. I'm not taking blame that my band failed' date=' the doctor knows they can slip thenwhy can't they figure out a surgical tehnique to correct that problem. Quit blaming the patient, they have had failure all these years at weight loss and now you put that on their shoulders. My band came out today, And I am totally PO'd. It slipped but in the three years I have had it, it was never checked. I was doing really well, never an issue, and the doctors have the balls to say the slippage is my fault. So as far as I am concerned the band failed me as it does in about 1/3 of banded people. BY the way more doctors are shying away from the bands because of failure. So don't blame yourself. That is my thoughts anyway..[/quote']

Preach it sister!! :)

I agree we aren't failures the tool just didn't work for us. The same surgeon who placed my band is removing it and converting me on june 12th. He said that if he knew then what he knows now he would have never done the band. I am a mayo clinic patient and they aren't even doing bands anymore. 'Nuff said.

Preach it sister!! :)

I agree we aren't failures the tool just didn't work for us. The same surgeon who placed my band is removing it and converting me on june 12th. He said that if he knew then what he knows now he would have never done the band. I am a mayo clinic patient and they aren't even doing bands anymore. 'Nuff said.

The bypass being the gold standard and Mayo is the gold standard in clinics, I think they made a good decision, I think it needs to be removed from the market. Yesterday in talking with the nurses, just this one bariatric clinic removed three bands, including mine. Granted I lost weight and have kept it off, but that isn't the point. I am having another surgery in the few months, which will make it three just for weight loss in order to prolong my life. Just wish I would have thought it through a little more three years ago. But my favorite saying is "hind sight is better than foresight". But I definitely know I didn't fail the band, all I can say I'm happy it just slipped nothing more like other people who have some really serious life threatening problems.

My new dr told me they only offer the band but soon they wont. To many probelms. I had mine done in 2010. Did well 91 pds gone. But soon after I begin throwing up everyday, every meal, I would be driving and throwing up it got so bad I had to carry a D&D hot cup with me just in case.

My old Dr always told me chew better. When I had finally had enough. My DR had LOST HIS LICENSE FOR INJECTING HIMSELF WITH DRUGS.. I am mad and upset that I dont know what he did. I do know my band is "strangling my esophagus" my new Dr told me after my endoscopy. Mad. Ohhhhh yeah I am.