Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm waiting on my insurance to approve my band to RNY revision. They have approved my port revision (three months ago - which I had to wait on pre-existing condition clause) until now to have.

I was banded April 11, 2008 by Dr. John Bagnato, Albany GA. Assessment day I was at 271, with a pre-op diet I went into Surgery at 259 pounds. By my first fill I was down about twenty pounds - or perhaps I should say attempt at a first fill - my port had flipped. So I had to schedule revision surgery, which I had in July. I think lost an average of 15 pounds a month. I found out right after my revision surgery my husband was having an affair - emotionally I was a wreck but I think it gave me a push. By November I was down to 214 (my lowest weight). I worked out, followed all the rules - strictly and even ran in a 5k. My marriage continued to deteriorate and by December I asked for a divorce. We separated in February. I ended up moving to my hometown in Florida (four hours away) in March. It never dawned on me the impact of moving to another state would have on my health due to my band.

I ended up getting sick and had to get an unfill a few months after moving to Florida. I went back to Georgia for one fill which I had to have removed due to esophagous spasms. When my divorce was final in October 2009 I lost my benefits. I quit my job when I left and it took me four months to find a job (and it didn't offer benefits). But with two small children to feed I didn't feel I had much choice. So no doctor, no follow-up. I tried to find a doctor in Florida to see me, closer than four hours away. No one would take me. I tried everything. I finally found a doctor in Pensacola that would see me.

He was able to put in 1cc (I have a 10cc band) in November 2010. I went back in March for my second fill and he couldn't access my port. By the way my port is in my chest, stitched to my left breast muscle). He said it has to be moved. We filed the insurance and they denied me due to pre-existing condition (June 2010 is when my insurance took effect, so I had to wait until June 2011 for anything related to my band). In May I started having port pains and reflux issued - I had an upper GI done. I have mobility issues in my esophogus and some erosion...so I'm told that the band has to come out.

I had an appointment Wednesday of this week with him. He confirmed it and we discussed alternatives. I had been reseraching the RNY for a few weeks (once he told me bye bye band)...so now I'm waiting on insurance approval.

I'm curious how many of us are out there? and if it is specific to the doctor or type of band? Is there a specific timeline when the failures/complications begins. For the longest time I blamed myself - thought I'd done something wrong. It appears after getting back on LBT (after a two year departure), I'm not the only one. I really hope this RNY site takes off...looking forward to talking to everyone...

Hi,

I'm waiting on my insurance to approve my band to RNY revision. They have approved my port revision (three months ago - which I had to wait on pre-existing condition clause) until now to have.

I was banded April 11, 2008 by Dr. John Bagnato, Albany GA. Assessment day I was at 271, with a pre-op diet I went into Surgery at 259 pounds. By my first fill I was down about twenty pounds - or perhaps I should say attempt at a first fill - my port had flipped. So I had to schedule revision surgery, which I had in July. I think lost an average of 15 pounds a month. I found out right after my revision surgery my husband was having an affair - emotionally I was a wreck but I think it gave me a push. By November I was down to 214 (my lowest weight). I worked out, followed all the rules - strictly and even ran in a 5k. My marriage continued to deteriorate and by December I asked for a divorce. We separated in February. I ended up moving to my hometown in Florida (four hours away) in March. It never dawned on me the impact of moving to another state would have on my health due to my band.

I ended up getting sick and had to get an unfill a few months after moving to Florida. I went back to Georgia for one fill which I had to have removed due to esophagous spasms. When my divorce was final in October 2009 I lost my benefits. I quit my job when I left and it took me four months to find a job (and it didn't offer benefits). But with two small children to feed I didn't feel I had much choice. So no doctor, no follow-up. I tried to find a doctor in Florida to see me, closer than four hours away. No one would take me. I tried everything. I finally found a doctor in Pensacola that would see me.

He was able to put in 1cc (I have a 10cc band) in November 2010. I went back in March for my second fill and he couldn't access my port. By the way my port is in my chest, stitched to my left breast muscle). He said it has to be moved. We filed the insurance and they denied me due to pre-existing condition (June 2010 is when my insurance took effect, so I had to wait until June 2011 for anything related to my band). In May I started having port pains and reflux issued - I had an upper GI done. I have mobility issues in my esophogus and some erosion...so I'm told that the band has to come out.

I had an appointment Wednesday of this week with him. He confirmed it and we discussed alternatives. I had been reseraching the RNY for a few weeks (once he told me bye bye band)...so now I'm waiting on insurance approval.

I'm curious how many of us are out there? and if it is specific to the doctor or type of band? Is there a specific timeline when the failures/complications begins. For the longest time I blamed myself - thought I'd done something wrong. It appears after getting back on LBT (after a two year departure), I'm not the only one. I really hope this RNY site takes off...looking forward to talking to everyone...

I guess I will reply to my own post (its lonely here :( - we need more posters)...I found out today my insurance approved my revision. Surgery is scheduled for 7/25/11 :-)

Good luck on your surgery. I'm getting my band out the end of August. My RNY surgeon told me that initially he was all excited about band technology because it seemed like a fairly non-invasive WLS. Now, he's not such a big fan due to the 50% failure rate. He spends his days taking out bands now. Some complications are the result of non-compliance, some of undiagnosed illnesses, but some are just for no one knows why.

Good luck on your surgery. I'm getting my band out the end of August. My RNY surgeon told me that initially he was all excited about band technology because it seemed like a fairly non-invasive WLS. Now, he's not such a big fan due to the 50% failure rate. He spends his days taking out bands now. Some complications are the result of non-compliance, some of undiagnosed illnesses, but some are just for no one knows why.

Hi - I posted on the other thread as well. Are you doing a revision to RNY at the same time as your removal? I know some doctor's do it laproscopically - mine is doing a mini-open. He is also removing my port (which is in my chest) . I think he is more worried about that than the removal and revision. Wow - 50% - I heard something similar...I'm really disappointed and have felt like a failure for the past few years (gaining all this weight back), but I'm trying to be positive. I'm going to look at my band as a "training" for my RNY...at least I know somewhat what to expect for the diet...

i fully understand. I started out 5 years ago at 254lbs.started exercising ,1/2 hr the first week , than 1 hour for a month than 2 hours a day.went from a20/22 size to a 14 still at 211 lbs by the time i had the lapband done in december2008. my lowest has been 162lbs. had to have an unfill in may have gained 25 lbs.in a size 10/12. in the process of cardiac work up for bypass revision. again self pay i feel like a hugh failure. Now i am in the by any means necessary. i now have 50-60 lbs to goal wt bummer!!!!!

Hi - I posted on the other thread as well. Are you doing a revision to RNY at the same time as your removal? I know some doctor's do it laproscopically - mine is doing a mini-open. He is also removing my port (which is in my chest) . I think he is more worried about that than the removal and revision. Wow - 50% - I heard something similar...I'm really disappointed and have felt like a failure for the past few years (gaining all this weight back), but I'm trying to be positive. I'm going to look at my band as a "training" for my RNY...at least I know somewhat what to expect for the diet...

Yes I'm doing a two in one surgery and it should all be done lap, but you never really know until you wake up. Two and a bit more weeks to go and my band problems will be a thing of the past.

Yes I'm doing a two in one surgery and it should all be done lap, but you never really know until you wake up. Two and a bit more weeks to go and my band problems will be a thing of the past.

mine will be done laproscopic also, the removal and the bypass at the same time.hopefully i will be able to get rid of some of the fat deposit around my knees to alleviate some of the arthiritic pain in my knee, and come off the blood pressure medicine.I know that i am smaller but i still see the big me ( hippopotumus a$$) my arms are still really big I have to buy sizes14/16 because of my super thick upper arms. my pants because of my thick thighs , no pants usually fit me in the waist.

Hi all - I'm now 2 months post-p and down almost 50 pounds. I ended up having the surgery all in one. Although it should have taken on 45 minutes, it took 3 hours due to complications removing my port and whatever else my surgeon didn't tell me. I had a mini-open, which has had a much longer and more painful recovery. My drain (in my incision - about 3 inches long right under my sternum) has finally stopped draining (last week) and is closing up!

I've gone from a size 24W to a 16W. My energy level has doubled and I'm feeling wonderful....thank you for all of your replies :-)