Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anaesthesia problems

It's rare but it does happen. If you ever have to have surgery again please be sure to tell them about this experience so they can try and prevent it from happening again. They even ask the smallest kids what they remember when they wake up from anesthesia in case it happened to them or at least it's a common question in our OR.

http://www.anesthesiaweb.org/awareness.php

Recycled - You say the post was inconsiderate, I say your response was inconsiderate. Where is your compassion for what the poster went through? They went through hell and have every right to post their experience. It is a valid post because it is an experience that can happen when you get anesthesia. It has nothing to do with the sleeve per se, but it does have to do with surgery.

My mother had this exact experience when she had jaw surgery. She felt and heard them sawing through her jaw bone and cutting through tissue and couldn't do anything to let them know that she felt all of it. She describes it as the most excruciating and terrifying experience of her life. She had some feelings of depression and even PTSD afterwards. This poster did the right thing by sharing their experience because they can be validated that they aren't alone in experiencing this and it also helps those who haven't had surgery yet to know that this is a risk and something they can discuss with their anesthesiologist before they have their surgeries.

To the poster - I'm so sorry you went through this. I know it must have been horrifying. It might help you to talk to a councilor about it if it is still affecting you. If you ever need another surgery in the future, be sure to let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know you went through this so that they can take steps to help prevent it in the future. My heart goes out to you. Try to remind yourself that this is not because of the sleeve and that once the weight starts falling off and you are getting happier and healthier, you will be glad you were sleeved. Hang in there!

a

Edited by Recycled
inappropriate

Rocsi im sorry that happened to you

i know you were scared. Sometimes with drugs some people have to be given a little bit more of the drug for it to be effective. Like when i go to the dentist i always have to be given more anesthia than the dentist normally gives. Im so sorry you was not in a position to say anything. Use this as a learning tool and make sure to share your experience with the physician. Also you need to find out what drug(anesthia) was used. In the future for anymore surgical procedures they can use something else. There are so many other drugs in that class they can use. Im glad you posted. This is good info for people to share with their DR. Good luck and keep on moving. Take your pain medicine and lets loose some weight. You can do this. God bless.

I thank everyone for ur support. It was a horrible experience and I just needed to vent. I know others didn't like my post but I felt it needed to be said. Posting it has made it better for me even if it bothered others. I know it is rare so I just had to know if anyone has experienced it. I wish the best for everyone still waiting for their day of surgery.

Rocsi, you are welcome to share your experiences here, as it was your personal experience and that is what this forum is for, sharing the good and bad. if someone is bothered by your post, then they are welcome to move on by without commenting. I am so sorry for what you went through, I have heard of it happening, and I am sure it must be a truly terrifying experience, I can't even begin to imagine.

Rocsi' date=' you are welcome to share your experiences here, as it was your personal experience and that is what this forum is for, sharing the good and bad. if someone is bothered by your post, then they are welcome to move on by without commenting. I am so sorry for what you went through, I have heard of it happening, and I am sure it must be a truly terrifying experience, I can't even begin to imagine.[/quote']

Thank you administrator for adding balance to the rules of this site. I was very offended by another poster going in a rant to tell ppl what they can/can't share. Adults we should have access to all information (good experiences and bad ones) about this procedure.The goal is to learn from others & get information, then take the information and make a informed decision with our medical team. I love this site it has been very informative

Rocsi you had every right to post this and I found absolutely nothing offensive about it. If I went through this you bet I would have posted it. Something like that is very upsetting and this forum is exactly what this is for. I am sorry you went through this and I am sure some of your feelings right now are due to this. Please continue to post your journey with us. We will be there to uplift you and answer anything we can. :)

I had an experience with a wisdom tooth years ago and I had totally forgot about it. I remember feeling pressure, but not pain and heard all the conversations going on in the room. It was all I could talk about for the next few weeks.

Hope everything is uphill from here!

I, too, have experienced this. I was having a c-section with my first child and felt absolutely EVERYTHING, from them cutting me open to them pulling her out. The tugging and jerking was awful. I've since had 4 surgeries andd this has never happened again. THANK GOD!.....I also heard them talking and playing music. I can only pray that this never does happen to me again. Although, it was scary and a little unnerving, I wasn't in pain. Nothing they were doing really hurt, i could just feel it. So, I guess I had enough of the anesthesia to deaden the pain but, I still felt the motions. So sorry you had to go through this.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

I am sobsorry to hear that. I had the opposite problem. It took me 12 hours to become coherent after surgery. On the ither hand, I understand your depression. Im having difficulty with one of my incisions and I now need to pack it everyday. Im 10 days post op but very overwhelmed by this. I nearly passed out in front of the home health nurse. My surgeon has been dismissive of my concerns. Lets both hang in there!!

That's awful, I hope you told your surgeon precisely what you experienced and insist on it being discussed with the anesthesiologist. This is a serious practice issue for the anesthesiologist. If you are not satisfied and wish to pursue, contact the hospital's risk management department to express your concern.

Be sure that it becomes a permanent flag on your medical record and always tell the person administering the anesthetic well before the surgery (you can ask for an early consultation).

Nearly all hospitals are equipped with special monitoring devices on anesthesiology equipment and patient hookups that detect the level of the anesthetic -- ask if your hospital had that equipment (don't go back if the don't), and if they do, why it didn't work.

Something similar happened to me but it was under local anesthesia, so I WAS able to speak up. I was having a C-Section and a small window in my upper abdomen didn't take the anesthesia. It was the most excrutiating pain I've ever felt, I thought i would pass out. The folks delivering my daugher apologized profusely and said nothing could be done until she was entirely out. I was then given morophine and i was totally out. The anesthesiologist came to see me the next day, apologized again and said that it was a rare occurrence. My husband told me that my palor completely changed and my coloring started to turn greyish. Scary stuff. You can bet I've shared this with my surgeon.