Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet....got insurance approved...Sour... thyroid issue

Sweet....got insurance approved...Sour I learned i might have thyroid condition. Anyone's doc tell u to hold off surgery?? Due to thyroid condition? Or did you have hyper or hypo and still pursued the surgery??? If you had the surgery having a thyroid condition, did it help or make you feel worse.

I started to see a new Endricologist doctor right before I decided to consider surgery since I'm a type 2 diabetic, high blood pressure and wasn't happy with my 1st doctor who was for my surgery, just was too busy for me and I was not feeling well, meaning unbalanced, light headed, sudden vertigo feeling, along with anxiety attacks that would turn into panic attacks.

Last week I got lab results from my Endricologist and told me she found too much Protein in my prescribed RAMIPRIL and also told me I'm super low deficiency on Vitamin d and prescribed 4 pills of 50k mlg to take 1 a week for a month

When I mentioned to her I wanted to have the surgery she was appalled and told me no, to wait

But my primary doctor is ok with me having the surgery.

Today I was called my the WLS doctor office my insurance approved me. I'm excited and not sure what to do, feeling so confused and still want to pursue my surgery but haven't heard much from ppl having the WLS while having a thyroid condition.

My health is first and foremost my priority but adding 2 new pills is not where I planned to be, my goal and WLS is to get me healthier and get off the Meds.

I'm 5'7

Today Weighing 267

I month ago I was 255

Goal would be 160 or 150

Any and all info is much appreciated

Thank you!

Take no risks with your health. Inform your primary of the issue immediately. My primary doctor held up my surgery due to increased heart rate. He sent me to two separate cardiologists. I finally had surgery two weeks ago. I had everything completed in June. I also have auto immune disease so I have to be extra careful. The approval should be good for 6 months. Also my aunt had gastric bypass and she has thyroid condition. Once it's under control you should be all set. Good luck

I've got hypothyroidism and surgery being scheduled this week. It will not prevent it from happening, most drs are not open to wls. None of my drs from the past would've been open to me doing this, I just happened to change pcp to so a dr that is totally open to it. Heck, he's the one that referred me. But I can say that no other dr would've given me the green light. They'd rather tell me I was a failure and have me pop pills.< /p>

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.

I'm most definitely getting everything checked out, more lab work and now just waiting for WLS office to get back go me for surgery date and then see the nut., to move forward if votes if health permits.

At this current time my hair is thinning and losing hair, not globs but enough to clean brush out before/after shampooing and when I rinse conditioner off hair. I'm not evening diet in either just watching portions.

I'm more freaked our about Hair loss than the surgery.

Thank you again for input and experience

N

GomeKast

How are you doing on your recovery? Has the surgery helped with your hypo or help stopped Meds for it? How is your hair holding up?

any complications? I hope you're doing well

If you search the board for hypothyroidism you will see that many of us have it. In many cases, our doses are going down along with the weight loss. This topic comes up a lot, so definitely search the threads. Lots to learn.

Thank you gamegirl : ) will do and good information.

Can I ask if you lost hair? How soon after your surgery? How long did it take for it to stop and had it fully grown back??

I am hypothyroid and my meds have gone down since surgery may 1. My hair has thinned after the first month but not too bad. Has slowed down the last month. I am hoping back to normal in next 6 months. Small price to pay have lost 101 lbs and got rid of 4 pills out of 6. Hope to get rid of the rest by end of the year. Will only leave thyroid med and vitamins!

Ladies, 1st and foremost I need congratulate you on your WL!!!

Cejiugo, thank you for sharing!! Very informative information and motivating. Are you taking Biotin and Omega fish oil Vitamin in conjunction to the protium drinks still?

Your replies does help me and my fears. I know I probably shouldn't worry about hair loss as there are other more important health factors but reading your experiences helping me get through my worrisome.

Thank you for replying and your time!!

Keep up the great job on the WLS journey.

Soon to be following y'all!!

N

I've heard the organix brand Biotin and collagen Shampoo and conditioner helps with Hair loss after surgery. Walmart carries it. I'm getting mine tomorrow. Hope it does really help!

Rls, please let me know if it works for you.

When was your surgery day? Have you stated to lose hair?

I'm currently taking Biotin 10,000 mg daily and really like the taste, it's says cherry but dissolve quickly and honestly taste like grape.

Pls keep me posted. Thx u!!

Haven't had surgery yet. Go to get my date tomorrow. Should be around November 4. In a local support group on Facebook. Thats where I heard about it. But I'll definitely let u know!

Thank you gamegirl : ) will do and good information. Can I ask if you lost hair? How soon after your surgery? How long did it take for it to stop and had it fully grown back??

From what I have read, we will all lose hair no matter what we do. Protein, Biotin, Shampoo etc., it will still happen. Only a very few don't lose any. It seems to start at around 3-4 months after surgery and lasts for 3 months, and it always all grows back.

I haven't started seriously shedding but I am losing more in the shower and in my hair brush. As you know, those of us with hypothyroid have this issue anyway. The only thing that works for my thyroid-related hairloss is to take evening primrose oil capsules. But for this loss, nothing is going to help. We should all eat our Protein in any case, and that's the best we can do for the hairloss.

So I'm hoping I will be relatively calm when the clumps start falling out :) I really can't afford to lose any more hair but I guess I'll have to live with it. A lot of people are finding Toppix and stuff like that quite helpful. Again, if you search the board for Hair loss, you will find lots if very informative threads.

GomeKast How are you doing on your recovery? Has the surgery helped with your hypo or help stopped Meds for it? How is your hair holding up? any complications? I hope you're doing well

I have my surgery on Tuesday. All the dr have said that they have seen patients lose their weight and then go off the thyroid meds, but that it's not common. Still a possibility yes. That said...I've always lost an amazing amount of hair due to the thyroid, so I'm not worried about that at all.

:-)

Just to expand on gamers post, the Biotin and other hair supplements unfortunately won't prevent Hair loss for most of us. Surgery triggers what people refer to as "shockloss". The stress of surgery makes your body shut down production of new hair (think of it as your body going into red alert, it doesn't know why you had surgery and are suddenly not eating as much and dropping a ton of weight, it starts relegating nutrients for only very important systems, so Hair growth gets nixed). You still continue to naturally shed as we all do, but there's no new growth to replace it.

Once your body adjusts, it'll flip the hair growth switch back on and your hair will start to come back, this is where your Biotin, hair supplements and collagen shampoos with help it grow faster and stronger, preventing breakage so that you'll be back to full in less time :) hope that helps!