Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op question about coffee

Hi guys.

I'm pre-op (working on a 11/14/13 surgery date), but prepping now for post-op diet.

I love coffee - I love coffee like a smoker loves smoking. I like having a cup of coffee when I'm in a meeting, reading a book or the morning paper. I love taking a piping hot coffee with me when I'm on a road trip. I can remember drinking coffee when I was a child - like 7 years old. So, in summary - I'm a coffee addict.

So, I've been thinking about the post surgery diet and if there's a way I can drink coffee at some point and still enjoy it sans cream and sugar or honey (my favorite). I tried mixing it with a unjury vanilla shake this morning and it's OK - I could get used to it.

Was wondering what my fellow coffee lovers out there do after surgery and they are back on "regular" foods.

Any suggestions or recipes would be appreciated! Thanks and have a great day.

Wellll...... My surgeon no more coffee EVER!!

So yeah I'm drinking my second cup for the day right now as I write this :P

I had to rebel on at least one thing geesh!!

I'm a black coffee girl. But after surgery it was the one thing that didn't taste the same.. So for months ( I didn't take it up again for two months after) I just had a bit and I had to put milk and stevia in it. Now I'm back to black for the most part depending on the day.

Oh and I now buy my Beans half and half (reg and decaf)

I also must say I have a sleeve of steel not everyone will be so "lucky"

*Jumping in on this topic just so I can get some answers too

coffee lover :wub:

I too started drinking coffee at an early age. Just the smell conjures up memories of my grandparents and comfort. I was never told that I couldnt have it, it was more that caffeine was off limits. But that being said, I just finished my daily cup of joe and will move onto my Decaf green tea now. Ive been having a bold cup of coffee with stevia and sugar free Creamer in the morning and if Im in the mood, Ill one in the afternoon. I also have a sleeve of steel like laura-ven so there really isnt anything that hasnt agreed with me.

coffee is my crossover addiction, seriously. I mean I still only drink 1-2 cups a day average, but pre-surgery I drank it only very occasionally. I drink mine with sugar free creamer and splenda. I'm planning on ordering a sample pack of Click Protein Drink mix, just so I can get my coffee fix w/ a little protein...

I have a cup every day, though I have had to change to Soya milk as I have become Lactose intolerant. My surgeon said it may contribute to heartburn but was not against me drinking it if I so chose. I do have to take meds for heartburn but I love my coffee and it's a real treat for me and with the Soya milk keeps my protien up. I have read a lot of people are told not to drink it but I don't know why.

I've been cleared for coffee by the RD in my surgeon's office. Coffee is good for you! I drink my coffee black, so I don't have to worry about Creamers or sweeteners or anything. Right now I am actually doing a coffee Protein Shake in the morning rather than just plain black coffee but I know I'll go back to my plain black coffee eventually. Right now I need the coffee Protein shake to get all my protein.

If you haven't, you might check out Chike Protein Coffee. I love it. I make my morning coffee protein shake with:

1 scoop Chike protein coffee

8 oz. Hood Calorie Countdown nonfat milk

1 tsp. instant espresso granules

Stats: 100 calories, 9 carbs, 16 g protein, 40% of your daily RDA of Calcium.< /p>

It depends on the surgeon, mine says no caffeine ever again while others say its ok...

I think it will depend on you as well. I'd talk to your surgeon about it..

Finishing my first cup right now ... mmmm ... coffee ... good.

Started back 1 year post op.

I am 1 month out this week and started coffee.. Started with a half caf and moved onto morning blends..no issues for me. It is so nice to be coherent in the morning again.

My surgeon said to limit daily caffeine. I drink at least one cup every day and just met with my nut the other day and she didn't say anything about it. I drink mine with creamer and equal. Like a few others, I have not found much that my sleeve rejects.

I have coffee everyday, even after surgery I did Decaf for awhile. Now 5 months later I'm on the good stuff. I think it's mostly because they worry about you dehydrating. I never drink soda anymore. Just Water with Protein, Skim Milk and Coffee with my sugar free Creamer. I've not had any issues at all.

coffee is an important part of my life. I roast my own coffee and have a commercial grade roasting machine in my garage. My hobby is modifying (improving) coffee gear - espresso machines, grinders, and roasting machines.

One of my first questions to my nut was whether I had to stop drinking coffee. She said they used to believe coffee was a problem after bring sleeved but no longer think its an issue. I'm bringing her a bag of coffee to my next appointment and planning to continue my coffee after sleeved . I will ask my surgeon about this on Monday which is my last visit before submitting to insurance.

Andrew

I drink hot tea several times a day with hi/low milk and 1/4 spoon honey or sugar. I guess when summer arrives I will be drinking less Hot Drinks more Water or non-sugar cordial. I enjoy my tea and occasional coffee - it is also a social drink. I can barely eat with my friends so being able to meet up for coffee helps keep life normal. The only thing I have agreed to never drink again is carbonated drinks.

You might want to add a name to your profile :)