Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do I stop...goal weight related....

Without being professionally measured for body fat by submersion or something' date=' is there a way to estimate it? i don't think calipers would work due to the rolls of skin....From a looks perspective, I'd like to be the 25-30% range, I like some curviness.[/quote']

My surgeon's office has an exercise physiologist. When I visit for post op check ups, he puts me on a scale (barefoot) that has hand holds and runs some kind of harmless current through to measure what is muscle vs. fat (I am guessing). Then he puts me on a breathing machine that can tell how efficiently my body is burning calories based on the amount of oxygen vs. carbon dioxide expelled over a 10 minute period.

1 day Pre-op 50% body fat

3 mo post op 41% body fat and only 3 lbs muscle loss

His goal for me is 32% body fat by 1 year out regardless of the number on the scale.< /p>

***Sorry, too tired to notice I posted in veteran's thread. I'm not quite there yet!

Just measured my body fat this morning... 29.3....Thats in the ideal range for a 51yo, and I'm 60!..... I would still like to get it down a bit more... but happy face! Still want to lose around 5 or so pounds, all fat of course. :)

Did any of you set a body-fat goal rather than a weight goal? I think that's what I want to do and wondering if that works?

Just measured my body fat this morning... 29.3....Thats in the ideal range for a 51yo' date=' and I'm 60!..... I would still like to get it down a bit more... but happy face! Still want to lose around 5 or so pounds, all fat of course. :)[/quote']

How did you do it??

I kinda want to, but I think mine might be pretty high still so I don't know if I want to risk the depression...

Just measured my body fat this morning... 29.3....Thats in the ideal range for a 51yo' date=' and I'm 60!..... I would still like to get it down a bit more... but happy face! Still want to lose around 5 or so pounds, all fat of course. :)[/quote']

Whoop!!!! Be proud!

Did any of you set a body-fat goal rather than a weight goal? I think that's what I want to do and wondering if that works?

I didn't but becoming more aware of "all things body" AND getting older has made me push toward that. Now that I've found out I'm in a good place body fat wise, I've def made adjustments to my eating habits to include good fats, less bad carbs and increased cardio. I still need to get some sort of strength training started.

I know I won't go to a gym. Joined. Didn't go. So need to find some sort of easier (almost 60) basic routine. If there are those aware is be interested.

How did you do it?? I kinda want to' date=' but I think mine might be pretty high still so I don't know if I want to risk the depression...[/quote']

Laura, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Some scales have it. There is also a calculation method ( I used) with measurements (google it) that gives a basic body fat estimate.

I just measured and did mine... 26. 15 % So gamergirl you lose! But really I wish you would of won :P (She PMed and guessed 22 through 25)

Mine too!! 26.1!

I just measured and did mine... 26. 15 % So gamergirl you lose! But really I wish you would of won :P (She PMed and guessed 22 through 25)

Well I did specify I hadn't see you naked so..... :)

Laura, 26% on a woman is very good. You are hot.

Well I did specify I hadn't see you naked so..... :)

Laura' date=' 26% on a woman is very good. You are hot.[/quote']

Lol it's all so surreal...

Yesterday I went shopping. I was grabbing a pair of skinny jeans and all of a sudden stopped in my tracks I was holding a pair of size 8 juniors.. I held them up and looked at them and thought really? Are you really going to attempt this?? Look at these!

I tried them on and bought those fuckers! I wanted to shout in the store "look I'm normal"

I came home and tried them on (they still fit) my husband daughter and her friend said yes they look great and not to tight :)

But they really couldn't appreciate what I was feeling.

I went upstairs and put on my sized 22 jeans (over my new ones) and came down stairs everyone started cracking up and asked "what the hell is that??"

I said "my old jeans" at first they didn't believe it but then I saw the look of recognition on my daughters face and her laughter faded..

She said slowly, "mom I remember those now... But were you really that big??"

yes I was, but I am no longer :D

We are "acceptable" :P

YES! We are! LOL

Lol it's all so surreal... Yesterday I went shopping. I was grabbing a pair of skinny jeans and all of a sudden stopped in my tracks I was holding a pair of size 8 juniors.. I held them up and looked at them and thought really? Are you really going to attempt this?? Look at these! I tried them on and bought those fuckers! I wanted to shout in the store "look I'm normal" I came home and tried them on (they still fit) my husband daughter and her friend said yes they look great and not to tight :) But they really couldn't appreciate what I was feeling. I went upstairs and put on my sized 22 jeans (over my new ones) and came down stairs everyone started cracking up and asked "what the hell is that??" I said "my old jeans" at first they didn't believe it but then I saw the look of recognition on my daughters face and her laughter faded.. She said slowly' date=' "mom I remember those now... But were you really that big??" yes I was, but I am no longer :D[/quote']

Girl, I know! I went shopping "on the fly" last night after a function. ( shouldn't have). I would get tops and bottoms to try on and they would be too big (large top). Go back get mediums and some smalls!! I am 5'8". When I hold up those size 8 and some 6 skirts, I think to myself "no way" them I try them on! Utterly mind blowing to me. Oh, and BTW, "5:2ers all those skirts (size 8) are back in play now and LOOSE!

How did you do it??

I kinda want to' date=' but I think mine might be pretty high still so I don't know if I want to risk the depression...[/quote']

You look pretty skinny in your picture (in a good way). Are you sure about your bf %?