Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters in January!

Gerbera, sorry to hear about your not-so-fill!! Sounds very painful! :-( although the upside is that when you get the fill done under fluro, you should probably end up w/some good restriction!! (Unlike me!)

KAY....I'm struggling right along with you!!! My hunger is back and it feels like my stomach is too! I cant eat any and everything, so It is by sheer willpower I have not eaten the kitchen sink at this point! UGH....I still have 19 more days til my next fill!!

OK...so tomorrow I will start a December Bandsters in February Thread! Look for it! :)

Thanks for your support around my not-so-fill. It was painful, but the emotional pain was the most upsetting for me. I was really scared, like why would anyone poke around with a needle if they can't find the port HELLO! Maybe I have read too much on here, but all sorts of thoughts were running through my m,ind about piecing the tube, infections etc And who would be wearing all the pain and cost? I bet it would be ME! I was also upset that he did not take my worry or concern into account and continued to probe and poke regardless. Anyway I'll step down off my soap box.

VABandster & kathyb: Please please please be very careful overeating, I just finished reading some veryyyyyyyyy scary & frightening information about pouch dilation (stretching) and complications in another thread on this forum. Please be very careful :rose:

I found this information Under "Pouch Dilation" If you have some free time go an have a read, very interesting and informative and Yeah it made me re think my eating and put things in perspective. :) CHEERS & Good Luck

Gerbera......I went and read those threads you were talking about and BOY...talk about confusing!!! I still don't really know how one is supposed to tell the difference between needing a fill and a pouch dialation!! But...i am definitely going to be more careful about how much I eat at each meal!

Thanks for raising the awareness....I am going to ask my Dr. about it when I go for my next fill and see what he says. If I remember correctly, he said it was difficult to do and it happened over a long period of time....

Gerbera......I went and read those threads you were talking about and BOY...talk about confusing!!! I still don't really know how one is supposed to tell the difference between needing a fill and a pouch dialation!! But...i am definitely going to be more careful about how much I eat at each meal!

Thanks for raising the awareness....I am going to ask my Dr. about it when I go for my next fill and see what he says. If I remember correctly, he said it was difficult to do and it happened over a long period of time....

I'll make a note to ask, when I next see the Dr also. I'll ask at my hospital Fill tomorrow, they maybe able to answer it for me :)

I think your right and from what I read, it does happen over a long period of time. I was only this week realising I was starting to eat more and more. Sometimes upto 1.5 cups in a meal. I guess if I kept that up over a long period of time, I could be at risk of dilating (stretching it) It would be so easy to form a habbit of over eating and that become the norm and before you know it WHAM, we have overstretched. I still don't have a firm clarification on how much I should be eating? Every Dr tells there patient something different :D I'm going to email the dietician as soon as I finish this post :)

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating :)

hello everyone! I had my first fill on Monday. It went really well. It took him about 10 seconds . I can feel my port well though. I have a 4cc band and he put in 1cc. I do not feel any restrictions although I just started mushy foods. I will probably try some chicken for dinner and see how it goes. I am bouncing around with weight up a pound down a pound up, down I guess it would help if I didnt weigh myself everyday! I am addicted and chained to the scale every morning though!!! I have lost 7 inches and I have had alot of people notice my weight loss so that feels good!

I need some recipes!!!! I am getting bored with the same old things! I need high Protein stuff obviously! What are you all eating?? Well I got to go I need to get ready to go to the gym!

Gerbera- I wouldnt let the dr poke around either!! It really could puncture the tubing! good luck with your fill I hope you get restriction and the weight just melts off!!

Hey all- it's been a while but I have been knee deep in my new semester. I teach 4 classes and i take 2 classes for graduate school so with the kids and DH i never have fun computer time - to chat with you all - but i have papers and stuff to do!

Anyway, sounds like everyone is doing great - Kay I can't believe your loss - that's so great! I'm only down 20 but i have dropped a size and feel great. I had my first fill 3 weeks after surgery and really didn't feel a difference. She said they put 1cc in my 4cc band but i didn't feel anything. Then I went two weeks later for my second fill. They took out all of the Fluid - got out .8cc - and then put in 1cc. I thought for sure I wouldn't feel a difference but boy was I wrong. I got home that night and tried to eat salmon and mashed pots and it felt like it went down and hit a brick wall. I have had 2 bad PB's. One was on 2 tator tots and one was on the new olive oil and black pepper triscuits! Okay, I know that these are not foods i should be eating but if you remember I am the person who has been eating all foods since a week after surgery - just a little bit though. So now, I am noticing a huge difference in restriction. I am having to go back to mainly mushies because if I eat dry stuff - like chicken - i have to drink fluids or I feel the golf ball in my chest. Now that I am finally understanding what I am feeling - it takes a while to read your body - I am slowing down and trying to really follow the rules.

So, that's what's going on here. Congrats to everyone with their weight loss. It's so nice to get up in the morning and think that today I might lose a pound... That never happened before!

I'm so excited. :biggrin1: I have enrolled in a cooking course that is specifically for bariatric patients. The woman giving the class had bypass surgery but she her class is for both lapband and bypass patients. The classes start in March I think, or was it February. Anyway---I will pass along the recipes and ideas as I get them! It's hard to figure out what to eat these days.

Jill---I've been eating alot of canned chicken and tuna, with a little sweet pickle relish and lowfat mayo. The density of the chicken and tuna fills me up and the mayo helps it go down. Or I take a few slices of turkey or ham and spread a little low fat cream cheese on it and roll them up.

For dinner it's usually something I have put in the crockpot, whether it's beef or chicken. There are some great low carb recipes at bariatricbytes.com. I've made the crockpot chicken and the crustless pizza and they are excellent!

Yesterday morning I put some frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot and smothered them with Campbell's Special Request cream of mushroom Soup and a package of Lipton onion Soup mix. You cook this for about 6 hours and before you serve, add about a cup of low fat sour cream. It tastes good and chicken is moist and easy to eat.

I haven't checked lately, are there any good recipes in the Recipe section of this forum?

Take care everyone!

There are some good recipes on this forum- I am going to try the "fried rice" recipe made out of califlower. It sounds good. I have made one called "poor mans steak" that was fabulous. It is basically making hamburger patties with chopped onion and garlic powder salt and pepper. I use low fat ground turkey, but mostly I use ground deer (dh is an avid hunter and I have tons of the stuff- very very lean) and then fry them like a hamburger and then cover with low fat mushroom Soup and cook. It is very soft and easy to get down, but it keeps you full for a long time.

My best friend was telling me that her mom made her mashed Caulliflower (tastes just like mashed potatoes, but is way more healthy)....I want to get the receipe for that for sure! IF anyone has it, please post here! Thanks!

I gotta tell you guys I've been having Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal for Breakfast and man,.....are my bowels rockin and rollin now!! :) I highly recommend it if you need to....ehem.....clean out those pipes! :)

Hey guys! I just got my first fill today! Went perfectly fine, no problems. She put in 1 cc to start and my chocolate Protein shakesh are keeping me a little fuller than usual but the nurse said I won't realy know what this fill did for me for a few days- so she scheduled another one for me just in case....So here it goes!!!!

G'day Folks :rose:

Well everything went well with the fill at the hospital. The staff were fabulous and made a big fuss of me over my weight loss and congratulated me :) It was much more comforting having it done under the xray and fluro. I had a 3cc fill in my 14cc band. They aksed if I wanted to have a local anaesthetic injection, I decided against it. I hardly felt a thing.

I didn't feel any change till I got home and realised I had a slight tighness in my chest and absolutley NO hunger at all. I made sure I only had a Protein shake for my lunch before going, so my stomache was shrunk and as small as could be :) That way (my logic) thinks it will take better to the fill :)

I've not had a reply back form the dietician as yet about the amount of food to eat 1 cup, .5 cup ?? The staff at the hsoital said stop when you feel satisfied :)

jillrn: Congrats on your weight loss. Isn't is so nice when people notice our weight loss? I might ask to have all my fills done at the hospital. I dont want to go through that proding, poking and blind needle target aiming again. Only thing is, it cost me $180 of which $100 is covered by medicare I have to pay the other $80. They did say each fill will get cheaper. (Giggle cheaper by the dozen) LMAO. I paid $1,000 before my surgery, this was to cover ALL my fills and follow up appointments for 2 years. But the hospital said, I would have to take the payment matter up with the dr/surgeon. My payment to the Dr was for him to make the fills not the Hospital.

LuckyGirl: I'll try having some Soup when and if I get hungry later. They advised me after the fill to be careful and go back to fluids for a few days. And to be extremley careful with more solid foods.

OfferRocker: The cooking course sounds excellent, I can see why your excited. Lucky You :) Yes Yes Yes Please pass on the recipe's. I'll be waiting in anticipation. The more variety to choose from the better :)

I love love love the sound of your boneless chicken you made YUM!

mypov: I am pleased for you that your fill went so well. Sit back now and watch the weight drop off :) GOOD LUCK!

Ok it's been a big day, I'm going to rest my weary feet :)

CHEERS to all, Happy Healthy Eating :)

Ok I just got a reply from the dietician about pouch dilation, I'll paste her reply.

Fantastic news - Well Done!

I agree, the lap band forum provides you (and hopefully many others) that piece of mind that others may be able to shed some light on what you are going through because they have been through it!!

As for pouch dilation, this is an occurance that is reduced by consuming foods slowly allowing food to pass through the pouch at a steady rate. When dilation occurs it is usually because foods are consumed too fast and hence a "back log" of food remains in the pouch before emptying. A meal of 1 1/2 cups should be consumed over 45-60 mins. Also keep in mind the volume of food tolerated is variable between individuals and despite the volume you need to stop when you feel full.

Just to make sure and for your piece of mind, I suggest you discuss the volume your pouch could potentially hold with Dr Leong, I will follow up with him next week Re: his experiences in this area.

I would also be very interested in the views shared by others regarding pouch dilation, if you could keep me posted I would greatly appreciate it! It helps me understand what information others may need to help with the success of the lap band.

Thank you and KEEP UP THE BRILLIANT WORK!!!

The mock mashed potatoes is as follows (how I did it)

Cut up a whole califlower and boil it soft in chicken broth. Drain broth in cup and set aside. Add couple tablespoons of low fat sour cream and 1/2 c shreaded cheese and mash. If you need more liquid as it is too dry you can add the chicken broth instead of milk and it will be lower carb and fat. It was yummy!

I am going to try to mock fried rice with califlower soon!

Gerbera, Glad to hear your fill under fluro went well!!!

Jillrn...THANKS for that receipe! I guess now I just need to go buy some caulliflower and make this!! :rose:

I started a FEBRUARY Thread (December Bandsters in February), so lets start posting over there! Here is the thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/december-bandsters-february-t29029.html?p=381659#post381659

Whew! I had some reading to catch up on! Life got the better of me for the past week between social activities and writing progress reports for school. Then the past two days were spent taking care of my mom. I sprained my ankle over there slipping on a wet patch on her floor. Nothing like that purple golf ball on you ankle to remind you how the accident might have been avoided if you hadn't fallen so heavily on it. I was desperate for something to take the pain away so I popped two aleve (naproxin). It feels a million times better! Will someone remind me why ibuprofen and aleve are bad for us? I haven't had a fill yet so it's pretty much just dropping into the lower stomach.