Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide!!

Hi Everyone, This is my first post and I am very glad I found this website. I am seriously thinking about having the lap band surgery. I wanted your opinions. I am considering either going to Dr. Oliak in Orange County or in Mexico to Dr. Ortiz. My insurance will not cover the procedure so I will be paying for this myself. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thankyou!! :)

Although, Dr. Ortiz was not my surgeon, I considered him as one of my choices. I live in TX so I went with someone closer and am very pleased. There are many factors to consider: cost (is it an issue), experience (Dr. Ortiz has a lot of experience), etc. I'm part of a yahoo group called mexicanbandsters where you will hear a lot about different doctors in Mexico. You may want to join there and get some input.

Everything I have ever read about Dr. Ortiz has always been positive. I was self pay however, I didn't know about Dr. Ortiz. I would have seriously considered him had I known about him. Such a price difference.

If you don't plan to go back to Mexico for fills, try to arrange a fill Dr. ahead of time. I have heard it is harder to do after the surgery than before.

Good luck!

I am not familiar with either doctor, but on your end, you need to be sure that you can dedicate yourself to this life altering procedure. You will lose both your best friend and worst enemy; food.

Your companion will not be there to comfort you. You will miss it and you will feel hungry both physically and emotionally. They are two different kinds of hunger.

Please find a support group before you have your surgery. They may tell you things that may change your mind about having the surgery, but they may help you prepare for the life ahead with a band.

I have had problems, but I would do it again.

Good Luck

I am not familiar with either doctor, but on your end, you need to be sure that you can dedicate yourself to this life altering procedure. You will lose both your best friend and worst enemy; food.

Your companion will not be there to comfort you. You will miss it and you will feel hungry both physically and emotionally. They are two different kinds of hunger.

Please find a support group before you have your surgery. They may tell you things that may change your mind about having the surgery, but they may help you prepare for the life ahead with a band.

I have had problems, but I would do it again.

Good Luck

I agree too. I miss dessert. I never have room for dessert and when I do have room I still need to get in Proteins or veggies so I choose not to. Late night snacking is gone. Sometimes I feel like I don't get "enough" of something that I wanted and I end up eating it at my next two meals even more sometimes. However all of these desires are reasons I was overweight in the first place and the fact that I even have these deep desires tells me that I would not be able to survive on conventional diets alone. Although I miss these things, I would not trade back the 47 pounds I have lost to live like that at all. I love my band and it was the best decision of my life. I think tired old man is trying to tell you that the band is just the first step, many other challenges follow.

Good Luck!

I would go with the doctor in Orange County. It is so important to have EASY access to a doctor that will do all your aftercare. Most U.S. doctors dont take patients banded in Mexico...so find an aftercare doc FIRST if you go with Ortiz, or be prepared to go back to him in Mexico for all followup care. I was banded in Mexico and honestly it is a pain in the ass to go there for fills and such (and it only a 1 hour trip for me). I am over a year out and have had 4 fills, and 2 unfills, one trip where I just got a checkup and no fill, and I am scheduled for my 1 year endoscopy. It was no fun to make the trip for a fill, get home and discover after 2 days of liquids that I was a tad too restricted, and have to back for a tiny unfill. I have had to do that twice. If I could do it again I would pay more and have it done with a doctor here locally. The surgery is a onetime thing, the followup trips will be forever.

I would go with the doctor in Orange County. It is so important to have EASY access to a doctor that will do all your aftercare. Most U.S. doctors dont take patients banded in Mexico...so find an aftercare doc FIRST if you go with Ortiz, or be prepared to go back to him in Mexico for all followup care. I was banded in Mexico and honestly it is a pain in the ass to go there for fills and such (and it only a 1 hour trip for me). I am over a year out and have had 4 fills, and 2 unfills, one trip where I just got a checkup and no fill, and I am scheduled for my 1 year endoscopy. It was no fun to make the trip for a fill, get home and discover after 2 days of liquids that I was a tad too restricted, and have to back for a tiny unfill. I have had to do that twice. If I could do it again I would pay more and have it done with a doctor here locally. The surgery is a onetime thing, the followup trips will be forever.
Good advice and crossing the border may soon become more cumbersome as new security laws go into effect.

Good advice and crossing the border may soon become more cumbersome as new security laws go into effect.

Good point. Someone at work told me that you can't even walk over the border without a passport now.

We are in south Texas, literally 45 minutes to Matamoros, Reynosa, or Progresso. I have no problem driving across the border but starting next year I think it will require a passport. I just think it is inconvenient to go there when I could be going to a doctor here......plus my surgeon, Dr. Sanchez, was shot and killed in a robbery. I had my surgery in Monterrey with Dr. Sanchez, and luckily I had a doctor in Matamoros that I had been referred to for aftercare by him. Still, If I could do it all over again I would pick a U.S. surgeon.