Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

I have to admit that I too have been thinking about some things I *must* just eat before I get the band. As much as I want to avoid the last supper syndrome I also do love the eating whatever I want aspect of being morbidly obese. Its the its going to destroy my health and kill me slowly part that I don't relish-- so I need to change my ways for good and I need help doing it. But I really want an ice cream cake! And other forms of sugary foods have popped into my head along with big meals. Lobster dipped in butter or something-- I don't know. I'm actually not a huge butter fan (unless its in certain things). but a little bit is nice. And I know I can have seafood after the band because its nice and healthy. Its just unhealthy sauces and stuff like that I need to look out for and portions. So... I don't know. I know I can still have it all in terms of main course and side dish type stuff that I really like. Less of it, and maybe a healthier version, but I can have it. So I think that does help.

Mostly I just have this compulsion to start eating all the junkfood I can while I still can.... But I know thats not a good idea.

I'm also very curious about what will happen to my size as I get smaller. And body shape too! Back when I was a size 18 I used to be a perfect hourglass. That wasn't too long ago- maybe two years ago? So I would like to think my body shape won't have changed much.

Right now I am 5'8" (and that won't change!) and I weight is typically between 280 and 285. And I generally wear a 22W in jeans and trousers and a 24W in blouses (or a 3x). I think I was about 220 when I was an 18W... So maybe based on that I can try to find an equation for pounds and size.

But I don't know the difference between womens sizes (the W) and normal sizes. Also, sometimes I will wear a tall size and sometimes a normal size because that depends on what each brand has as inseam and torso length and arm length and so forth. But assuming I wanted to stick with one or two brands of jeans I could figure that out and account for variations. I'm going to have to try and lookup the W to normal difference now... Oh and there is also how frame size and so forth affects stuff. I used to be sort of lucky in that I could carry weight well, but it also means I have to lose more to have a noticeable difference. I'm probably overanalyzing this. I like to analyze things...

I'm also thinking of different questions to ask before the procedure, like exactly what is defined as vomitting and so forth ( I have GERD)...

Just went to a confrance meeting today. So disapointed about everything I have to do before I can get the lapband.

What do you have to do?

CarolynB: Congrats on your date! Your the first 3/1 on the list!

Kyethra: You are not alone.. I've been going through a lot of the same stuff..... we are getting ready to break up with our best friend.. food... and (yes you CAN have the lobster and butter) you just won't eat an entire lobster.......... I can not wait to have a HEALTHY friendship with food, and quit being the obsessive stalker that I am right now! LOL

Kimberly.. what all do you have to do?

A friend of mine is having a Tastefully Simple party this afternoon. I hear they have a variety of Soups. I'm sure they are more expensive than store bought. They would be prefect for my pre and post op diet and I'd be helping my friend get free products as the hostess so I am going to buy some. Anybody ever try them? Are they any good?

Hi All,

After reading some of the replys on this site, I thought Id join. I'm seeing a consultant on Feb 10th. I've been overweight for many years, Im hoping to have the surgery either the end of March or the 1st week of April. This week I also had some hypnotherapy to stop smoking (that was on Wed evening) so that I am not an anathestic risk. Lap band surgery is expensive here in the UK, but I feel it will be worth every penny if it will help me in the long term. I hope I can join your March Bandsters group (but it may be happening in April for me) I'll find out next Saturday after seeing the clinical consultant and the dietician.

Hope to speak to you all soon,

Sara x

Welcome Sara!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a March surgery date...the sooner the better! This waiting is about to drive me CRAZY!!! I am coming up on week 7 of a 12 week program required by my surgeon. I'm trying to stay positive!

Thanks Tracy and Tammy for your warm welcome to the March group.

There's so much to read on the lapbandtalk.com. The more I read the more I'm a bit confused! Can you tell me about the liquid diet you have to go on prior to surgery, my surgery will be with the BMI health group (Private hsp group in the uk not the NHS) and all of the information they sent didnt say about a liquid diet until after surgery (4 weeks liquid, then pureed food for a further 2 weeks).

Very few people in the UK can get this surgery on the NHS, although they have brought out new clinical guidelines to say that it should be. It's always about money I guess, I know I could get it cheaper in Belguim, but I need close support and monitoring after, and peace of mind. I am a bit scared of having surgery, but I know that if I carry on yo-yo dieting I'll be bigger than ever, every time I diet I lose the weight, and then put it back on again and more besides. My weight has crept up to an increadible high of 18 stone (I'm 5ft 4" tall), I get sleep apnoea now, and I find it difficult to carry out day to day activities...sorry I'll stop moaning; but I will be so relieved to finally get help, I know it will take me a long time to get to my ideal weight for my height. I do have support from my family though, and my hubby is going to support me through all of this, and I'm so glad I found this support group too.

I'm so excited about next Saturday,having the first medical assessment, I'll write back and let you know what they say.

Sara x

P.S Keep staying positive :confused:

There's so much to read on the lapbandtalk.com. The more I read the more I'm a bit confused! Can you tell me about the liquid diet you have to go on prior to surgery, my surgery will be with the BMI health group (Private hsp group in the uk not the NHS) and all of the information they sent didnt say about a liquid diet until after surgery (4 weeks liquid, then pureed food for a further 2 weeks).

Most surgeons require some form of pre-op diet. I have to do a 2 week liquid diet before surgery, but I am allowed to have soft Cereal like Grits or Cream of Wheat and 2-3 oz. of lean Protein a day. After surgery I have to do the same thing for another 2 weeks with no lean Protein, 2 weeks of soft foods and then on to solid foods. Some don't have to do a pre-op diet at all and some are told to follow a low carb/low fat diet before surgery. It varies, so ask your surgeon what his or her pre-op instructions are.

Good Luck next Saturday!!!

Happy Monday!

and welcome to our newest member: CRAZYCran!

march 21st 2007, I can not wait:notagree could you please add me to the list .crazycran

Good Morning everyone!

TracyinKS, thanks for keeping up the list. I started this thread and then kind of disappeared. I have been hemming and hawing about surgery and having some things go on at home (my nanny/housekeeper quit with 0 notice). I brought my credit card to work today and am thinking I am going to book my flights.... That is the last step in my commitment to doing this. Up until I do that I can still back out. I will lose about $1,000 which I already paid to the clinic but that is not insurmountable. I am still just not quite sure....

Joelle

I just got my official approval letter in the mail today! The request for approval was just sent in on January 24th and I got the approval already. I'm so excited!!!:bounce: