Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horizon NJ Health, 12 month wait?

For my pre op checklist I had to have clearance from a gastroenologist, blood work, a letter of medical necessity from my primary, a five year weight history, clearance from a cardiologist (I've had previous heart issues), a barium swallow, and the nutritionist and psych clearance. As I previous stated, the last two were not covered. The nutritionist cost me about $150 and I went to Dr. Kagel in West Deptford for my psych clearance ($220). I started in the beginning of the summer so between my work schedule and doctors taking vacation.....that made things a little longer, it took me about 3 months to complete the check list. There were no issues with insurance approving the surgery date. Dr. Goldstein respected my decision for VSG over banding, all in all I'm happy. It's your body, your choice.

Thanks for all the helpful into! Does Goldstein require you to attend a certain number of support group meetings before he operates? Did he talk about bougie sizes and such? One of the things I found interesting was that he said he removed 70-80% of the stomach, where I'm used to hearing people refer to a figure more like 85%.

Thanks a bunch!

No I didn't have to attend any support group meetings. Not sure of the exact percentage of my stomach he attends to remove. When u speak with him one on one he is very personable and answers all your questions. I thought about switching doctors because he is so far from where I live. But I've been very pleased with him.

I have horizon and started my jouney mid July 2013. I walked into NJ bariactrics in Springfield out of curiosity. They took my insurance info and made me an appointment for the end july. I was told at that appointment that I was approved. My surgery is scheduled for October 23rd. I cant wait.

When I first started my whole process Dr. Goldstein was the first doctor I looked into but then I found Dr.Marc Neff and he has significantly more experience with sleeves. I am 2 months out of surgery and honestly couldn't be happier with everything.

Also horizon covered both my nutritionist and psych

When I first started my whole process Dr. Goldstein was the first doctor I looked into but then I found Dr.Marc Neff and he has significantly more experience with sleeves. I am 2 months out of surgery and honestly couldn't be happier with everything.

Thanks for the info. I'm contemplating switching to Dr. Neff actually. Do you remember how many sleeves these two docs have done respectively?

Thanks for the info. I'm contemplating switching to Dr. Neff actually. Do you remember how many sleeves these two docs have done respectively?

No not off the top of my head. We did have a discussion about it. A big thing was my mom was very nervous about me getting the surgery and Dr. Neff was able to answer every one of her questions and really set her at ease. He's very honest and up front about everything and really makes you comfortable. I didn't get that warm comfortable feeling from Dr. Goldstein, but that's just my opinion. You should do whatever makes you comfortable.

how hard was it to switch to Dr Neff.?

.. because I was looking into switching because of the experience with the sleeve thing also and now that Dr Goldstein switched practices..... I believe he is in the same practice as Dr Neff... So i honestly thought it might be easier now with them being associates.

It was not difficult at all I just let the office know I wanted to switch to Dr. Neff and it was no big deal. I switched very early on in my process though.

It was not difficult at all I just let the office know I wanted to switch to Dr. Neff and it was no big deal. I switched very early on in my process though.

I was able to set up a nutritionist consult for November 11th at my local hospital. The NUT said my insurance will cover it, which is nice!

How many visits with a NUT did Dr. Neff require?

Tashana, how many visits with a NUT did Horizon NJ require?

I have Aetna so i think it was more of an Aetna thing I had to see the nutritionist 3 times. It was 3 times over a 90 day period. I also had to see a pulmonologist, cardiologist, and gastroenterologist. I also had to have a psych clearance. I actually continued to see her even after my consult and I found that it prepared me so much for the the mental struggle surgery was.

I only had to do 1 nutritionist appointment. I have an optional follow-up before my surgery date.

Hi ladies.... I called the office today to ask about my psych clearance I had in December to see if it was still usable and while I had her on the phone I asked to switch and she did I can continue to use everything and since they are now associates I believe it is actually easier because they already have my file in the system .... I will just be seeing Dr Neff now instead of Dr G.... So I am excited because Dr Neff does more sleeves and Dr G is more LapBands....