Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert ID or not?

Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?

• Yes
    • No
    • I want to

Wow, the tube goes all the way into the stomach?

never new that

A nurse told me it just goes down a bit into the trach...trachea....but it goes in the esophogas? I have do do a little bit more research on this one.

I am not a nurse -- and maybe I used the wrong word.

But my understanding it can puncture (??) if they do the blind tube insert -- due to the fact we have placed the restriction here - that normally does not exist.

:confused: Please do research - and let me know your findings.

I did it to make my husband feel better - he is a worry wort about me!

Hugs.

AWWW ok that is not bad at all then .

I can handle that .

Thanks

Mindy

Wow, the tube goes all the way into the stomach?

never new that

A nurse told me it just goes down a bit into the trach...trachea....but it goes in the esophogas? I have do do a little bit more research on this one.

An NG tube is a tube that goes down your nose into your stomach , its different than a trach , a trach helps you breathe. An NG Tube is use for feeding, meds , anything you might need to use orally if for some reason you are unconscious and cant take care of yourself or are unable to eat or drink on your own .

Nasogastric intubation is a medical process involving the insertion of a plastic tube (nasogastric tube, NG tube) through the nose, past the throat, and down into the stomach.

That is the purpose of medical Id bracelets . Some say what's the point if your life is in danger , perforating your esophagus for no reason when you simply need a Bracelet a no brainer for me . A lot of ER's do not know a lot about Lap Band , so if they see a Medical ID bracelet that explains to them what NOT to do , that is enough .

does that make sense ??

Mindy

Just called and asked a nurse I've known for quite sometime...she's done hospice, ER, and neonatal, visiting, etc. Been a nurse for 20 years or so.

She said, "no" it's not needed. Then she asked if someone was trying to sell a braclet....

Well, to breathe it goes down the trach...not the stomach. And by the time they get around to doing anything thru the esophogas...will be days later... and more than likely the patient will have freinds/family already around and they will answer questions.

Plus, if a tear ever happens...they simply repair it. Tears happen to unbanded patients, so it happening to a banded patient (and weight loss won't be the most important factor here in the life and death situation) is no greater risk.

Just wanted to put it out there so no one will think this is necessary.... but ask your doctor... he/she will tell you.

Mine says it's not necessary.

Just called and asked a nurse I've known for quite sometime...she's done hospice, ER, and neonatal, visiting, etc. Been a nurse for 20 years or so.

She said, "no" it's not needed. Then she asked if someone was trying to sell a braclet....

Well, to breathe it goes down the trach...not the stomach. And by the time they get around to doing anything thru the esophogas...will be days later... and more than likely the patient will have freinds/family already around and they will answer questions.

Plus, if a tear ever happens...they simply repair it. Tears happen to unbanded patients, so it happening to a banded patient (and weight loss won't be the most important factor here in the life and death situation) is no greater risk.

Just wanted to put it out there so no one will think this is necessary.... but ask your doctor... he/she will tell you.

Mine says it's not necessary.

Is it Necessary ??? No is it helpful YES . The problem is not the esphogus its the stomach . IF they try to put a NG tube down your stomach and they encounter a blockage or it gives resistance's they will try Harder and if they RAM it down there ( dont think it doesnt happen i use to work in hospitals) they can go throw the side of your stomach or your stoma or your pouch.

The point is its an added measure to make SURE Nothing happens to your band. Im sorry I paid $12,000 for something im going to make DAMN Sure nothing happens to it IF I can AVOID it. EVEN an a life or death situation .

Also as you can see on this board, ALOT Of friends and family members do NOT know their family has been banded so that's a mute point.

NO offense to your friend , its a personal choice and one im not willing to take for something that i wanted for so long.

My doc said it was not necessary either BUT a good idea.

Its not about someone trying to make money off LB patients either.

In my case its about wanting to preserve my band if i can .

Mindy

For the $25 I spent on my Bracelet I find that much value in the peace of mind it provides. ~Mandy

Good point of view Mandy I agree with you. Bottom line is....if you want one, get one; if you don't, DON'T. Does a normal healthy person (who eats healthy) HAVE to take Vitamins, no probably not, does it give them a piece of mind that they are getting their vitamins and minerals,yes.

Good point of view Mandy I agree with you. Bottom line is....if you want one, get one; if you don't, DON'T. Does a normal healthy person (who eats healthy) HAVE to take Vitamins, no probably not, does it give them a piece of mind that they are getting their Vitamins and minerals,yes.

That is what i was trying to say , you just said it better LMAO

Thanks Banja

Mindy

I got an ankle Bracelet because I just hate wearing any jewelry except my wedding ring, it just bugs me for some reason. I put my name on the front and it has it says ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND-NO NG TUBE WITHOUT ENDOSCOPY. I put my emergency contact number on it. My doctor said you risk a perforation if they don't know and try to put a NG tube in. I don't want to risk it.

I got an ankle Bracelet because I just hate wearing any jewelry except my wedding ring, it just bugs me for some reason. I put my name on the front and it has it says ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND-NO NG TUBE WITHOUT ENDOSCOPY. I put my emergency contact number on it. My doctor said you risk a perforation if they don't know and try to put a NG tube in. I don't want to risk it.

I thought about the ankle bracelets but I was afraid an EMT would miss it on my ankle.

I like the idea of them though

Mindy

I thought about that too. I am a pharmacist and I thought about all the codes I have responded to at the hospitals I work and I couldn't think of one that someone's ankle's were covered. For some reason when they get to us they are usually shoeless and sockless. Maybe the paramedics take them off. I remember one that someone had on those funny toe socks in rainbow colors and that is why I remember. I just knew I would NEVER wear the others because of my jewelry issues so the ankle was my only hope.

I thought about that too. I am a pharmacist and I thought about all the codes I have responded to at the hospitals I work and I couldn't think of one that someone's ankle's were covered. For some reason when they get to us they are usually shoeless and sockless. Maybe the paramedics take them off. I remember one that someone had on those funny toe socks in rainbow colors and that is why I remember. I just knew I would NEVER wear the others because of my jewelry issues so the ankle was my only hope.

I think you have a good point. If its a BAD accident, or something they will cut your clothes off so they will probably see it .

I like both , i dont usually wear much jewelry but I dont mind the medical ID Bracelet.

Mindy

paramedics usually don't check the ankles. But they also don't do NG tubing. I have a severe mushroom allergy and some anestetics (sp?) have the same fungus in them so I have been wearing that on an id for years. I was told the same thing, paramedics will not see an ankle id, but they also don't do anestetic. ~Mandy