Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, banded veterans - What was week 4 like for you???

How did you feel around week 4 post-op in regards to eating? (please elaborate below)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How did you feel around week 4 post-op in regards to eating? (please elaborate below)

• Satisfied - following post-op diet plan exactly as directed by doc
    • Satisfied - deviating from post-op diet plan as directed by doc
    • Unsatisfied - but still following post-op diet plan as directed by doc
    • Unsatisfied - deviating from post-op diet plan as directed by doc
    • Somewhere in between
    • Other

Hey everyone...

So, I am officially on day 26 since surgery. A couple days from my one month bandiversary. I've been doing really well. No complications after surgery, no issues with starting a work-out routine, no food stuck or anything like that... and up until a few days ago - I felt GRRRRREAT!

Now, starting on Friday, I am just ravenous!!! No matter what I eat, I am not satisfied. I am eating a cup or better of my mushies and it is JUST NOT cutting it. I've been careful with carbs, sugars, etc.. and still............................................? ??? I start solid food next week and I'm TERRIFIED bc that is when people say to expect to put a little weight back on. But I haven't lost any in the last week! NADA. In fact I've gone up a little. My weight was down to 291.2 (back on 1/5/07) now it is back up to 293 as of this morning - and it's been back and forth between 292 and 294 this last week (I KNOW, I KNOW - scale whore - redface.gif - what can I say???).

And to make matters worse, Vinny (bf/roommate) is starting to question my choices (ie: "do you really want another wedge of cheese? ".... "you're not really hungry", etc., etc.) which is REALLY frustrating, bc he has been SO supportive along this journey. He keeps telling me how proud he has been of me, and doesn't want to see me screw it up now................ omg, what if I do???

I guess the reason I wanted to start this thread was to ask for your advice. What was your week 4 period like - end of mushies, beginning of solids? What did you do? eat? feel? Were you satisifed? How did you feel prior to that first fill? Was it at 6 weeks for many of you? Or sooner? later? I just feel so discouraged today. So down................ I know I made the right decision in doing this for myself, I do not doubt that. BUT that being said, what if I screw it all up now bc I can't stop at 4-8 oz. of food a sitting???????????? I am following all the rules. Protein, protein, protein. It's just not enough anymore.

HELP!????

So, I really dont have any band-life experience for you (due to be banded tomorrow) but I just wanted to say hang in there. I guess there has to be some self-doubt somewhere in this process and maybe this is your time. Just stay focused on your goals and remember why you got banded in the first place. And keep exercising...that is so important.

I didnt hear you say anything about getting any fills and I know this is just week 4 for you. Have you already had a fill and if not, when are you going to get a fill? I dont know if that is the problem but it almost sounds like it might be one issue since you are so hungry.

I know first hand how important/helpful it is to have a supportive bf/roommate. And I also know how easy it is to lash out at him. Just remember how supportive he has been through this process...and that he is on the outside looking in.

I wish you the best of luck and I cant wait to see other "band veterans" advises...because I may very well be in your shoes in 4 weeks!!! :hungry:

I didnt hear you say anything about getting any fills and I know this is just week 4 for you. Have you already had a fill and if not, when are you going to get a fill? I dont know if that is the problem but it almost sounds like it might be one issue since you are so hungry. I wish you the best of luck and I cant wait to see other "band veterans" advises...because I may very well be in your shoes in 4 weeks!!! :hungry:

My doc does not do fills until the 6 week mark - so I am scheduled for Feb. 2rd - the first I can get in that week. I HOPE I CAN MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your support! It means a bunch. Let me know how your banding goes! Good luck to you as well!

ps: where are the veterans?

You are in the healing stage NOT the losing stage... and you don't have restriction right now.. so tell bf to back off (nicely). :rose:

don't freak out... you'll be fine once you start feeling restriction.

You are in the healing stage NOT the losing stage... and you don't have restriction right now.. so tell bf to back off (nicely). :rose: don't freak out... you'll be fine once you start feeling restriction.

yeh, yeh - i know!!!! he has heard it before, and i am sure he will again. he means well! and i love him with all my heart...

good luck to you with your pending band!!! :)

I was the same way! I was banded on the 20th of Dec and did not have any restriction until my first fill. Now some people do not have restriction until their 3rd of 4th fill. So hang in there and just try to eat well, get your Water in and exercise!

I was the same way! I was banded on the 20th of Dec and did not have any restriction until my first fill. Now some people do not have restriction until their 3rd of 4th fill. So hang in there and just try to eat well, get your Water in and exercise!

Thanks so much!!!!! it is nice to hear from someone who was banded around the same time i was! what are you eating these days?

I just found this website and am so glad. I'm at 4 weeks too. I have a checkup on Tuesday but my doc doesn't usually fill until 6 weeks.

I'm not that hungry but I don't ever feel full either so I've been slipping at the Portion Control, food log, etc. and am worried I'm messing things up. I'm still on pureed phase and struggling with all milk-based things. I'm getting my Water in but struggling with the Protein so I'm very tired all the time.

I felt really great in weeks 1 and 2 so the last two weeks have been depressing. Knowing that this stage will pass and is relatively normal has really picked me up. And I have LOTS of questions for my appointment Tuesday. :paranoid

My Dr. also does fills at 6 weeks. The thing he stressed the most was that this is the healing stage. He said that we'll look at where I am at the 6 week mark, and depending on how much weight I've lost, or not, we'll use that and how I feel to determine the fill.

I'm only at 2 weeks, but I am not going to worry for this next 4 weeks. I know it will work out.

You will be fine. I can tell by how passionate you sound about it! Your bf just needs to understand about the first 6 weeks too.

I think we'll look back on this in a year and be glad that we hung in there!

Take care!

wow, cricket - you have an EXCELLENT ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!! :) Keep it up, and you'll pull through with flying colors! my doc essentially told me the same thing as you - 6 weeks isn't a GUARENTED fill - just a check up and if my weight loss as staled, a fill may be necessary.....

well, it IS necessary!!!!

to smj39 - i feel ya! i am afriad of messing anything up too...... hang in there, we'll get through this! follow the rules best you can. if your body demands more (like mine is) give it the right stuff. Water, sf Jello, sf/ff pudding, etc. :o

Hi All,

I think everyone is a little different, some lose all restriction after the swelling goes down in the first month (like me!), and some people retain some restriction even up to the 1st fill. I can eat a little more than a cup if I let myself, before i feel satisfied. But I try to eat the right things from the plan even if I eat more of it than I should. I am due for my 1st post-op exam and 1st fill on the same day (1-30-07), which is 4 weeks and 4 days after surgery. I sure hope it helps! So hang in there!

Butterfly

Jess...I think the surgery is the easy part! Getting the correct amount of fill is the hard part. And everyone is different! I gained weight back my first 6 weeks post-op. That first fill made some difference...the 2nd fill made all the difference in the world. It was at this point in time that I truly knew what restriction was.

Lovingly tell your b/f that monitering your food intake is a No-No for him or anyone else. That this is your sole responsibility and that'll you'll love him dearly for his continued support.

Good luck sweetie and keep your chin up, the best is yet to come!

Hugs,

Dreamer

Jess...

I wanted to share a few more thoughts with you. The feeling of fullness that you once knew when you just finished a meal, is probably a thing of the past....it was for me. Your new top tummy is so much smaller than the lower part, and it doesn't register that sense of saiety. You have to learn new techniques to gauge when you've had enough...or your body will do it for you by forcing the food back up. My signal is a hiccup....AND I better listen!!!

These are only suggestion Jess, and it's like taking baby steps until you learn through trial and error what works for YOU. I would caution you (when you introduce solids back into your diet) to go "s-l-o-w". This is hard to do when your body is screaming "I'm starving"!!! Use whatever tools you need to assist....I eat at home with a baby spoon. I try to drink a glass of Water about 30 minutes before I take in solids...this helps me. If I allow myself to get too hungry, I over do it. I eat too fast, don't chew each bite the recommended 20 chews, and I pay for it. Eating smaller meals (6) works best for me. I nibble on peanuts for Protein if I am unable to have my next feed in 3 hours or so. When I eat out, I try not to draw attention to myself by simply moving the food around on my plate while chatting with my companion...(I failed to think about possibly ruining someone elses meal for them...it was brought to my attention by my son that it ruins things for him when I say "I can't have that", or "that might cause me to PB", or by eating too fast and rushing for the ladies room). After awhile folks tend to get tired of meals being all about you and your needs...I was foolish not to have known this and wound up nursing hurt feelings when I had to be told. Remember this is your journey, not theirs!

Avoid foods that tend to pack or stick together....like rice, potatoes, eggs, breads. Never understood how I can eat Fritos chips but a bite of baked potato won't go down! Go figure!!!

A good rule to incorporate into your process is to ask yourself how little you can eat and keep losing weight, instead of how much you can eat!

Hope this gives you some "food for thought", Good luck sweetie!

Dreamer

Jess - Hugs!

For me - weeks 4-6 were the very hardest. I have the big VG band - and once that swelling went down and everything was healed up - BAM - I was hungry just like before I got the band.

This is very normal - but very hard. Just try to be philosophical about it. Right now you are just finishing up the healing from the initial surgery - and it won't do anything for you until you start getting fills.

Don't panic, and don't worry if you don't lose, or even if you gain. When I went in for that first fill, I had gained a half a pound... grrr.

As for you BF trying to "help" you - ask him nicely to stop. There is a huge difference between not throwing food at you every five minutes, and harping on what you have chosen to eat.

Remind him sweetly that you have done this for yourself, and you will have to do it by yourself, as well. While you appreciate his support and concern, your food choices will have to be just that - YOUR choices - and his comments could be viewed as nagging, rather than his intention to support.

Good Luck with all of it. It will get lots better after that first fill.

Hugs!