Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried I've done something stupid!......

Can anyone give me some advise quick......I was given a third band (5 ops as all incorrect) on 20th Dec and was told to have the usual 4 weeks liquid, 4 weeks mashed food and then re-introduce normal food. By 28th Dec I felt so ill from not eating even though I was taking my Protein Shakes and Soup etc that I decided that enough was enough. I had already spent 3 weeks on my liquid pre op diet and couldn't take a sip more! Anyway, I started to eat some very soft fish pieces and managed 4 and felt fine. Over the next few days I continued to eat soft food but mainly stuck to the liquids.

I did try some toast and did initially feel a little restriction and to the point that I knew if I had another tiny piece that it would get stuck. Great, I finally have a band that is working!

After almost three weeks I was told that as I was so hungry that I could go onto the mashed stage (didn't tell my consultant that I had already done this). I have now started to experience this weird pain across my stomach, almost like the pain you get when have a stomach bug.

I'm still really hungry and am now worried that I have either made the slip or have a pouch dilation as I shouldn't have eaten food when I did.

Can anyone give me some reassurance?

Thanks

Kaz

I think you should be honest w/your MD. How can they help you if your not going to get honest and let them? I doubt you hurt your band w/soft foods, but own up to whats going on and let them decide if you need a fluro to make sure its okay. It will put your mind to rest also.

Best of luck!

Turner24

Hi guys,

Thanks for your info, but after 5 ops (all previous were incorrect) I just feel that as I may have now done something to the band after everything I have been through, I can't tell them.

You see, it was a fight to get them to do the corrective surgery at no cost to me even though they owned up to the problems, and I know what I should and shouldn't have done, thats why I am so upset with myself.

Yeah, i know.....why bread? I love bread, so thought I would a have some toast to see if this final band is working, and yes I found that it was. I'm now regretting it and worried as I no longer feel restriction. I have also started with this dull ach across my stomach.

I feel so ashamed with myself and can't believe after everything I have been through that I'd do a stupid thing like this.

Kaz

You should see your doctor - even if you don't want to admit to eating the bread.< /p>

I hardly think that eating toast could have caused permanent damage - unless there is more that you aren't telling us - but if you are having odd pains, your surgeon should know.

Please remember that complications from this surgery are not usually severe, UNLESS THEY ARE IGNORED.

Go to your physician. Tell him about the pains. Don't tell him about the bread, if you don't want to - but go and make sure there is nothing majorly wrong.

Losing weight is important - but not worth your life.

me too! i'm worried i've done something stupid!

i almost immediately went to solid foods, which has me a little freaked out after reading about people who wait weeks & months before moving onto solids! why didn't my doctor even discuss with me the liquid or mushy stages!? should i incorporate them myself?

i don't see my surgeon for another 4 weeks but would like to see him sooner! everything seems to be going down ok...no pain. only problem is that i feel like i don't even have a band!!!! i eat almost like before. well, of course minus the fried foods, fast foods, & soda. i avoid bread, though it goes down if i chew it really well. (tried twice)

i'm eating much more mindfully & healthy, so no complaints really.

ok, just 1: where is my restriction? i can't wait until my fill!

i hope i haven't done any damage to my stomach, pouch, or the band because i started eating regular food so quickly! i just followed their directions...both from the surgeon & nutritionist.

Hi CareBare,

Where were you banded?

Have you spoken to your Dr about the post op eating plan?

As I said previously, I was informed on all my past 5 operations that I was not to eat any solid foods until the 8th week.

First 4 weeks liquids, then mashed foods for a further 4 weeks, and then by week 8 to re-introduce normal food.

I am still worried that I have done some damage to my band, and continue to read up that if you eat too early, then you increase the chance of slippage by quite alot. Just hope that everything is OK!

I still continue to suffer a mild discomfort around the top part of my stomach, below the port area. Not sure if this is a sign of anything. I have no other symptoms of reflux, vomiting, food geting stuck etc.

Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress and what your Dr says.

Hi ReneBean,

Thanks for your message. I did get in contact with my consultants office and also emailed one of the health educators there twice. When I mentioned this pain to her I did not get much of a response other than that it could be caused by all the extra weight my body is carrying. Not sure what she means by this as I have lost almost 2 stone since my first op!

Anyway, my 2nd email she said that it could be due to the port, but again I responded that the pain is not in the port area, but lower. I have asked if this is the area of the upper pouch and what the possible cause could be, but I have not had a response.

I did not mention the bread situation, but did explain that I continue to have only a small size bowl and portion size of a 3 year old which I have stuck to.

Just hope that I am worrying over nothing as she doesn't seem to worried.

Karen, you are probably fine. I would just talk to your surgeon. I snuck in a solid too soon but my band was fine after a barrium swollow test. You are probably okay.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your message. I am not able to talk to my surgeon unfortunately as this is not permitted. I have to go back through the group I went to for the operation, and I have spoken & emailed them a few times regarding this pain I have been experiencing lately.

I still have not heard back from them since my last message a couple of days ago, but will wait and see.

Can I ask......what sort of solid food did you consume, and at what point post op?

Thanks

Karen, you are probably fine. I would just talk to your surgeon. I snuck in a solid too soon but my band was fine after a barrium swollow test. You are probably okay.

Thanks for your message. I am not able to talk to my surgeon unfortunately as this is not permitted.
:omg: :omg: :omg:
I have spoken & emailed them a few times regarding this pain I have been experiencing lately.

I still have not heard back from them since my last message a couple of days ago,

Time to escalate. You can't be Mr. Nice Guy when it's your health on the line.

There's really not much advice we can give other than "talk to your surgeon"... perhaps "don't take no for an answer". Where were you banded? Who was your surgeon?

I was banded in the UK.

I have spoken to my consultants office on a few occasions reagarding this pain, but I am not able to call my surgeon direct, this is not permitted. Any problems anybody may have if they have been banded via this group, must go through them and not direct to the surgeon. If however, I was banded by the surgeon through the NHS here in the UK, then this would be a different matter, as my consultation would have been with the surgeon at the beginning.

The pain is not as bad today, and this morning it was more of a prodding sensation in the centre, and towards the left below the ribs. Lets hope that it's just scar tissue/healing.

I have been informed that I should have a fill in about 2 weeks time, looking forward to this as it will finally put my mind at rest and hopefully be able to feel what a band is actually like when working!!!

Will keep you all updated.

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Time to escalate. You can't be Mr. Nice Guy when it's your health on the line.

There's really not much advice we can give other than "talk to your surgeon"... perhaps "don't take no for an answer". Where were you banded? Who was your surgeon?

Now I have a TOTALLY different perspective to add. My doctors post-op diet is clearly different than all others I have seen.

I went on to pureed Proteins (3T 3 times/day) on day 3.

After a month I am allowed to add 1/2 c of cooked veggies

After 2 months I can add 1/2 c of fruit

NO CARBS until I have lost 75% of my excess weight