Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having problems getting Psycologist approval

I have seen the Psycologist one time which was 5 weeks ago. She wanted me to come in for another consultation. I asked why and she told me that their were guidelines that needed to be mett before she would approve me for surgery. I asked her what the problem was and she said she would have to get back with me on that. This doctor has dragged this out for over 6 weeks now and I feel like she is holding me hostage. Friday I asked her if she would please call me back with my chart to help me understand why she will not pass me through, she never called me . I feel like I am going to get stuck with her for months of psycotherapy and not be able to follow through with the surgery. This is really upsetting! How do I get through this? Can anyone give me any advice?

Tell them to give you a copy of your records. Legally, they can't refuse. I would seriously consider going to another psychologist, especially if this one won't tell you what standards you are expected to meet.

Fantastic advise Laurend! I concur!

sdipiazza stay strong and battle through! Here's hoping all gets sorted out for you and soon!

:P becky

Wow...sounds very frustrating! I haven't got to the psyc eval. stagr yet, I am now being refered to the nutritionist stage. I read your thread because I know I have to have an eval. by a psyco. <grin> and I am trying to prepare myself for what to expect. I will be keeping in contact. I will pray for you and me. Did you have to go to a nutritionist? What up with that?

Kitty Healthnet HMO 5'2 220

Sounds to me like it is a requirement of the shrinks office.....I had the same problem when calling around to find the earliest appointment... one place got real snippy with me telling me that I would be required for no less than 3 sessions.

I found a place that only requires ONE appointment (albeit its 3 hours) because I have an interview first then I take a pencil test, and I've read on here that it is something like a 600 question fill in the cirlce test.. I go tomorrow

Is this with a Psycologist that was recommended by the program? When I had my app. it was with the program's psycologist and it was fast, like 15 mins. She asked me why i wanted the surgery, if i had done research and know the pros and cons, what my support system is like, my family history, then she had me take a mini mental test and that was it. I would find another psycologist and speak with someone at the WLS office about your experience they might give you names of some people. Goodluck

I just had my psych test yesterday and I was soo nervous! I thought the Dr. would think I was whacko because I've been a few different anti-depression medications. I took a 370 fill-in-the-circle test all true or false. Not too bad, some weird questions, some normal like "have you every lied?" well, yea! Do you ever get angry? stuff like that.

He was such a nice Dr. I felt very at ease with him. I told him if I ever needed counseling, I'd choose him. He passed me! He said your an excellent candidate for the LB surgery, good luck, stick to the rules, and don't dissappoint me!

I would really find another psych Dr. to do your evaluation. Keeping you in the dark about your results is unfair and unprofessional.

There has to be some others close to you.

GOOD LUCK!

I am having my 1st appointment with shrink tomorrow, hope it's easier than yours, good luck, hope you can find another doctor or find out some answers

Jen

Tell them that according to the HIPAA law, they have 30 days (check specifics on Google though) to respond to your request for your records. That's what I had to do and it worked! Ask the bariatric center shrink to refer you to someone....

I just had my psych test yesterday and I was soo nervous! I thought the Dr. would think I was whacko because I've been a few different anti-depression medications. I took a 370 fill-in-the-circle test all true or false. Not too bad, some weird questions, some normal like "have you every lied?" well, yea! Do you ever get angry? stuff like that.

He was such a nice Dr. I felt very at ease with him. I told him if I ever needed counseling, I'd choose him. He passed me! He said your an excellent candidate for the LB surgery, good luck, stick to the rules, and don't dissappoint me!

I would really find another psych Dr. to do your evaluation. Keeping you in the dark about your results is unfair and unprofessional.

There has to be some others close to you.

GOOD LUCK!

My favorite question "do you like to see small animals suffer". How stupid!

Mine didn't have one.. so I had to call around... I think I'm due to take the 370 test tomorrow, because he said to allow 3 hours for the appointment and the first part is an interview.

Mine didn't have one.. so I had to call around... I think I'm due to take the 370 test tomorrow, because he said to allow 3 hours for the appointment and the first part is an interview.

i took the BIG test at Shawnee Msn. Dr Sabapathy gave it to me. I had to see him for 2 months of appts (I must be a real head case). By the time we got that out of the way, they could no longer take my insurance. So now I am at the mercy of Medicare. That test is wierd.....questions that dont make sense,then you go along and they ask the same question 2 pages later! tryin to slip you up! have fun Tracy.