Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whats making you sucessful

:) hello all, just wanted to hear what you guys do to help sucess along allittle, and how often do you exercise and what kind. just trying to speed up my very slow weightloss. my 1st fill was in oct and my forth is due jan24th and i have only lost 13lbs. So just wanted to see what helping you guys to get with the program. Thanks rjb

I am really hit and miss with the exercise . That is probably why I am only losing 1 lb a week. I feel good though. I'm down 39 lbs since June. That is a good start.

I too would like to know what works best for the biggest band leader-losers!!

What is the best combo of diet & exercise?

Let's hear your secret to success!:)

Dealing with my mental and emotional issues (therapy/antidepressants)

Finding a sport I love (running)

Getting my whole family eating healthier

Following Dr. Oz's guidelines

Not depriving myself

Rare eating out

Buying clothes that fit and flatter

Finding other things to think about besides weight loss/diet/exercise/the band

Surrendering to the band

Journaling/writing poetry

:)

Cool to hear how well you've done! I hope to be ale to give the same advice someday! How often do you execise?

Well I think its different for everybody as we all have our different issues.

For me, key is not "dieting". I've left that behind forever. I just eat what I want when I want now - but I do "want" to make healthy decisions, so I eat really well most of the time. But if I want pancakes for Breakfast or some chocolate, I dont hesitate. I just have them and move on. I dont ban any foods at all, I eat bread regularly, I dont count Protein or calories. I'm nearly at goal weight and I really feel that by not overriding my body's instincts with a "diet" I've really changed my habits for the better. I'm no longer afraid of danger foods, they're not danger foods to me anymore.

And I run regularly, up to 10kms five or six times a week. I also take every single opportunity in my day to be active. But though I'm dedicated to my running and work hard at it, I'm not obsessive and if life dictates that I dont go for a week, then I just dont.

I dont lose fast, but that's not what I consider "success". Losing it and keeping it off are what I'm aiming for.

I just havent approached banded life as being about rules. That always makes me rebel. I've done it more with a view to caring for myself and living the way i'd like to live for the rest of my life. And that means enjoying good food in moderation and getting lots of regular exercise.

I'm a faster than average loser, but I don't really consider that "successful". If I'm still here 4 years from now posting about how I've maintained my weight, *then* I'll be a success!

And, to be honest, I have no idea why I've lost weight faster than others. I certainly don't starve myself. I follow the basic bandster eating guidelines: 3 meals/day of about 1 c. food per meal, plus one to two small Snacks (under 100 cal.) per day if needed. I drink plenty of Water, and *always* grab a bottle of Water if I feel hungry. Usually that's enough to tide me over until the next meal. I don't drink while eating, or for an hour afterwards. I can't say I really take tiny bites, but I do chew really well. I try to get in plenty of Protein, but don't count grams or anything. I do eat my Protein first, unless it's something where it's mixed together, like one-pot dishes.

Besides the "bandster" rules, I have a few things that seem to work for me. I write down everything I eat. I loosely follow the guidelines in "You on a Diet", avoiding white sugar, high fructose corn Syrup, trans fats, saturated fats, and enriched white flour. I try to eat whole foods, and stay away from processed and fast foods. I cook more than I used to, and always have something tasty in a bandster-size portion that I can grab from the freezer. I limit alcohol to once a week or so.

I only started exercising a couple of weeks ago, but I'm gettin' into it! I love my iPod. Listening to really upbeat music makes me almost forget that I'm working my butt off!

That's about it. I've managed to lose 67 pounds since September 4, which is hard for me to believe.

Tami

I'm a faster than average loser, but I don't really consider that "successful". If I'm still here 4 years from now posting about how I've maintained my weight, *then* I'll be a success!

And, to be honest, I have no idea why I've lost weight faster than others. I certainly don't starve myself. I follow the basic bandster eating guidelines: 3 meals/day of about 1 c. food per meal, plus one to two small Snacks (under 100 cal.) per day if needed. I drink plenty of Water, and *always* grab a bottle of Water if I feel hungry. Usually that's enough to tide me over until the next meal. I don't drink while eating, or for an hour afterwards. I can't say I really take tiny bites, but I do chew really well. I try to get in plenty of Protein, but don't count grams or anything. I do eat my Protein first, unless it's something where it's mixed together, like one-pot dishes.

Besides the "bandster" rules, I have a few things that seem to work for me. I write down everything I eat. I loosely follow the guidelines in "You on a Diet", avoiding white sugar, high fructose corn Syrup, trans fats, saturated fats, and enriched white flour. I try to eat whole foods, and stay away from processed and fast foods. I cook more than I used to, and always have something tasty in a bandster-size portion that I can grab from the freezer. I limit alcohol to once a week or so.

I only started exercising a couple of weeks ago, but I'm gettin' into it! I love my iPod. Listening to really upbeat music makes me almost forget that I'm working my butt off!

That's about it. I've managed to lose 67 pounds since September 4, which is hard for me to believe.

Tami

Tami, you are an inspiration!!! I plan on doing a South Beach type thing which sounds a lot like what you are doing!!!

Thanks for the great advice!Audree

I too am one that has been able to lose faster than average. I have basically followed the same rule as Tami. Protein first, veggies, fruit then carbs. I am diabetic and I have been able to eliminate ALL diabetic meds as a result of restricting the carb intake. I eat 3 meals a day with a couple of small stacks throughout the day. I have not felt deprived for one moment. I have learned that I really don't miss the carbs as the protein is much more filling and my energy level is off the charts now. I exercise at least 4 times per week for 45 to 60 minutes each. That was totally unheard of prior to October 2, 2006. However, please remember, we are all different but the key is to get that metabolism going and the best way to do that is EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE!

1) Proper restriction...NOT too tight (or else I only do junk)

2) Never do I go below 1000 calories (I feel weak when I do)

3) I walk for exercise (I am not always consistent)

4) I used to log my calories in on fitday.com, now I loosely do them in my head (around 1400 calories a day)****For me this has been key.

Good luck and take care, Shawn

Jachut, I like your philosophy. I too see the band as a way of life - not a diet!

I also appreciate reading CCBSTX list of DO's!

Great inspiration! Thanks to all:clap2:

I've known a lot of people that say the same thing - too tight and the weight loss stops becuase you start going towards all the softer food options - eating more calories overall and eating more rubbish.

Exercise and tracking my food. I don't always follow the bandster eating like I should (sweets still get me!) but tracking my food really keeps me thinking about what I'm eating at all times. I stay active (walking and housework) at home and even put forth extra effort at work! I watch very little tv anymore, too tempting to sit and eat.

I don't diet, but I do watch my carbs. I workout when school is out of session, but am really too liberal about it when school is in. My biggest factor in "success" (I use that term lightly, I'm still about 70 lbs from goal) is being able to get out of "live to eat" and move into "eat to live". It's very liberating when you realize that food has become more of a nuisance than a motivator. And it makes it that much easier to control your intake. Which is my other factor - being able to stop eating when I'm no longer hungry, versus when I'm full. And for me, "full" often meant one of two things: 1) no more food on my plate or in the pots & pans, or 2) miderably full, to where I really couldn't comfortably eat another bite.