Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Article, what so many of us Vets have been saying on here

The only thing I would add is:

7. After a person gains then loses more than 10% of their weight' date=' their biochemistry has changed. We maintain on 20% less calories than people who are naturally our new weight-lost weights, and we expend less energy doing the same things. This is a fact, and knowledge is power. It may not seem fair, but it must have helped our ancestors stay alive in leaner times. We can still eat well, exercise well and enjoy our lives well... by using our "tools" and remaining accountable in our lives.

...or something like that....[/quote']

This explains why I am in Maintenance and never had to transition into it. This could also explain why some folks never get to goal. My fitnesspal says to maintain I need 1850 calories. Of course I never eat that much and I exercise 4 days a week for abt 90 min. It's kind of depressing when you think abt it. Thanks again for the info.

I am maintaining at 2000-2100 calories which is only a little less then the recommendation for guys my frame and height. It could have a lot to do with exercising or having a clean diet (high Protein, good fat, good carb). So perhaps if I did eat a couple 100 more calories, ate sweets or high glycemic foods like potatoes every now and then, I would gain, if the leptin hypothesis holds true. This daily caloric load of 2000-2100 should by definition cause me to gain. Who knows. It is working so far and I hope it does not change.

I am maintaining at 2000-2100 calories which is only a little less then the recommendation for guys my frame and height. It could have a lot to do with exercising or having a clean diet (high Protein, good fat, good carb). So perhaps if I did eat a couple 100 more calories, ate sweets or high glycemic foods like potatoes every now and then, I would gain, if the leptin hypothesis holds true. This daily caloric load of 2000-2100 should by definition cause me to gain. Who knows. It is working so far and I hope it does not change.

This is why playing the calories in/calories out numbers game is so dangerous. It's almost always based on age, gender, weight and "activity level". There are so many other factors that do not get accounted for. Lean body mass for one, but also hormonal differences that cannot be measured easily. That's why the "required calories" that one needs according to online calculators is just a starting point from which we must make adjustments.

I am maintaining at 2000-2100 calories which is only a little less then the recommendation for guys my frame and height. It could have a lot to do with exercising or having a clean diet (high protein' date=' good fat, good carb). So perhaps if I did eat a couple 100 more calories, ate sweets or high glycemic foods like potatoes every now and then, I would gain, if the leptin hypothesis holds true. This daily caloric load of 2000-2100 should by definition cause me to gain. Who knows. It is working so far and I hope it does not change.[/quote']

On average how many hours a day do you work out? I ask because the average sleever (me :)) will never work out that much so we will probably never be able to eat close to a normal recommended daily caloric intake.

On average how many hours a day do you work out? I ask because the average sleever (me :)) will never work out that much so we will probably never be able to eat close to a normal recommended daily caloric intake.

If you ignore warmup, stretching And cool down, my workouts have been 15-20 minutes long 5 days a week. Not that much time. However, I have learned a lot of technique for making an effective use of 20 minutes.

If you ignore warmup' date=' stretching And cool down, my workouts have been 15-20 minutes long 5 days a week. Not that much time. However, I have learned a lot of technique for making an effective use of 20 minutes.[/quote']

See for me my workouts are mostly cardio. I went to my first crossfit training session today but I love the cardio high from Zumba or running or spinning. I am forcing strength training because I know those with muscles are better off than those who cardio alone and muscle burns more fat. Or so I heard or read somewhere.

If you ignore warmup' date=' stretching And cool down, my workouts have been 15-20 minutes long 5 days a week. Not that much time. However, I have learned a lot of technique for making an effective use of 20 minutes.[/quote']

Dang fiddle I thought you did more than that!

Ok I'm not as lazy as I thought :P

Yes, strength training has a much better post workout burn then cardio, especially if you do compound movements. I used to run for an hour (about 10k) and it burned a lot of mad calories, but I would rather work out in 20 m than 1 hour for better results (toning, fat loss, cardio vascular response, fitness, etc). And strength training can definitely be a cardio workout from cross fit to body weight exercises to kettle bell sets. Just something to consider.

Yes' date=' strength training has a much better post workout burn them cardio, especially if you do compound movements. I used to run for an hour (about 10k) and it burned a lot of mad calories, but I would rather work out in 20 m than 1 hour for better results (toning, fat loss, cardio vascular response, fitness, etc). And strength training can definitely be a cardio workout from cross fit to body weight exercises to kettle bell sets. Just something to consider.[/quote']

I know you are right. I used to do a lot of strength training when I was younger which is partly the reason I am so muscular. At 143 I am in a size 4 when most are 120 or so so muscle definitely weighs more than fat. I just never grew to love it the way I love cardio. It makes me feel invincible.

I move around 5 days a week... for about an hour each time, I dance, I walk, I garden, I occasionally lift weights. I have been doing this for 5 years. I can see it in my body shape more than ever. I'm not trying to be a downer by posting that research, its just that I have MFP set to tell me how many calories to eat if I want to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, (I also us a fitbit, and eat back some of my exercise calories) and now I have also added two 500cal days to each week layering the 5:2 over my already calorie counting plan, and finally I am losing... not quite one pound a week... which I am happy with, but reading those leptin findings just made me feel like there is a reason for my slow loss. I'm not just freaking doomed to live in a mystery body that regains for no apparent reason while I eat less calories than I expend according to MFP and fitbit. I am in better shape than I have been for years. That science is the one thing not on that list that I would have liked to know before WLS.

Dang fiddle I thought you did more than that!

Ok I'm not as lazy as I thought :P

Actually, workouts (the actual intense part between warmup and cool down) were 15-20 minutes when doing the BYOG (be your own gym) workout program over last 12 weeks combined with 2 days cross fit. Now, starting last week, workouts are ranging from. 30 minutes to 45 minutes for 4 days when working out at home, yet are still intense. Still 2 days at cross fit. I am not really a gym rat so just like to hit it hard for a short time period and get on with the day (Or in my case, return to work at my home office). So, in conclusion, I still spend about 1 hour a day including warmup, stretch, workout and cool down. I think this will be changing in 2 months to be longer daily as I get into serious prep mode for cross fit games next summer.

Would you say the biochemistry (insulin response, bmr, whatever) naturally drifts back to equilibrium after enough time, say 5 years? Many of us have lost 50% of our weight. I am sure the body will naturally adapt to normal levels after a certain amount of time passes in conjunction with fitness and good diet.

No, unfortunately, I don't think it will level out. I'm over three years out now. If I eat over a MAX of 1200-1300 calories a day, I WILL gain! And that is with fasting of 500 calories two days a week! I've tried eating "normally" and truthfully, I just don't think (and that is all research I've seen also) my "normal" is ever going to change. Sad, but true. And, also from what I've seen on VST and OH (as well as my "normal" friends) those who have exercised and led very active lives have to change their eating habits and portions/calorie count as time advances also.

And BTW, EVERYBODY needs to read this! I think, though, even reading it as "prebies" we just couldn't understand and REALLY believe it would take as much work! We, former fatties, liked the easy way of eating when we wanted, doing what we wanted, living like we wanted, so telling us beforehand we are gonna have to WORK - um, well... HA!

I get it NOW!

The articles do make a scientifically sound argument that a reduction in leptin levels make it harder to keep weight off. I do remember these articles from the last time you posted it. However, I do not believe the anatomy will not reset after enough time and lifestyle changes. :) sorry, that is my optimist personality shining through.

Well, at 59 1/2 my leptin, I'm afraid, has "lept" on out! LOL

I can't help but chuckle when I see on people's sig line XXX lbs GONE FOREVER

Little do they know how easy it is to put it back on. I am so thankful that I've been able to lose 10 of my 15 lb regain. I was freaking out. I kept thinking I was not going to be able to stop gaining.