Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet before surgery?

Hello, I am pushing 57 & 85 lbs over weight....I am having the hardest time to lose my last 3 lbs & until I do that, they won't give me a surgery date...I am seeing alot of posts about a liquid diet 2 weeks before??? I asked my doctors about that & they said no.. I have another drs appt in 5 days...how can I get those 3 lbs off...I need help...if not, I have to wait for another drs appt in 2 weeks...ughhh..

I would do the liquid diet for at least 5 days regardless of what he says. Unless it imposes a danger for a condition that you may have. Why does he not want you to do it?

They just said they don't do that like other hospitals....so should I just drink Protein Shakes? How many?

Every center is different. But if you truly want the surgery date then you may want to try the liquid diet. Make sure you're counting calories too because thats what will hinder you not losing the weight. I'm not sure about the Protein Shakes. Did you get the WLS info pack? In it should be information on Protein. If you know for sure that you cannot do the 5 day diet, then at least try it for 3 days and you may want to use a stool softner to get your intestines cleaned out. That may also help you achieve at least 1 pound :)

Then what is a liquid diet? ? You count the calories in what? Isn't liquid like tea, diet coke, Water, boullion?

I'll tell you what my 2 week diet consisted of.....3 Protein shakes and 2 cups of yogurt....and at least 8 cups of Water.....hope that helps......the Protein powder had 160 calories, 2g fat, 8g carbs, 27g protein.....I mixed it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

The yogurt had to be plain, non fat, and no more than 100 calories per cup....danon all natural plain nonfat yogurt did the trick....I bought the 32 ounce container, and it had 4 servings in it.

good luck

All doctors are different, but I am so glad my doctor required a pre-op diet--it helps you get into the groove of what it is like eating right after surgery, and it is safer for your body because your liver shrinks and Proteins help your body heal better after surgery. I was on the New Direction Protein diet 2 weeks before surgery. I had to eat or drink 4 New Direction Protein supplements a day and one meal with lean meat protein and any and as many green vegetables you want. I lost over 5 pounds that first week. Look online for New Direction supplements--they have things like Soups, puddings, hot chocolate, choclate Fiber drink, Protein Bars, etc. You have to eat or drink 4 of these a day, any comination, and again the one meal a day. The supplements are pretty good and I didn't feel like I was starved or hungry. The bars and drinks are very filling. Cut out all breads and all soft drinks during this time, too. You can't have them anyway after the surgery, so you might as well stop them now to prepare yourself. Below is a link to New Direction's website. Click on Bariatrics on the left hand side of the webpage, and it will lead you to Products to buy.

http://www.robard.com/Programs/New-Direction/

Best wishes to you!!!

Thank you so much....My drs reccommend the brand "UnJury" I have been stocking up on that for after my surgey...I'm going to start using it tomorrow...

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is a good brand. Matrix Protein mix is great, too---Cookies and cream and fuzzy navel flavors are my favorites. Now, some tips on mixing Protein powders and drinks---they clump up, especially when you add them to heated liquids, like Soups. To avoid this, add small amounts of protein at a time, then heat for a few seconds and stir. Repeat, but don't heat the liquid to as hot a temperture as normal---Proteins just can't take the heat. Also, when you mix the Proteins with cold things, like apple sauce, pudding, and yogurts, the protein makes these types of things frothy. You will have to experiement and see which consistency works for you. It is a bit of a learnimg curve, but you will adapt quickly and will learn what works best for you.

Best wishes!!

I'll tell you what my 2 week diet consisted of.....3 Protein shakes and 2 cups of yogurt....and at least 8 cups of Water.....hope that helps......the Protein Powder had 160 calories' date=' 2g fat, 8g carbs, 27g protein.....I mixed it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

The yogurt had to be plain, non fat, and no more than 100 calories per cup....danon all natural plain nonfat yogurt did the trick....I bought the 32 ounce container, and it had 4 servings in it.

good luck[/quote']

Ours was the same amount of shakes, but we were allowed vegetable Soup as long as the veggies didn't have corn, potatoes, peas and other starchy things. Stick with carrots, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, Swiss chard, green Beans, zucchini, etc and flavor them up. We did those 3-4 times a day. All in all, we stuck to 800 calories a day.

Prepare to feel horrible for the first few days, after which you suddenly start to feel fantastic and energetic. But the first days are unfun. I mean, you've just cut calories, sugar, carbs, fat, caffeine.....it's uncool but SOOOOO worth it.

I agree, it does prepare you very well for life after surgery. And I sure don't think you want that horrid feeling of giving up calories, sugar, etc. AFTER surgery when you already feel bad.

Also, be careful about stocking up too much on 1 brand of Protein. For many of us our tastes change and I stocked up (despite what I read here) and wasted money. I could not do any of them post-op.