Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Sleeved: My night in the ICU

That's so crazy , ur story is just like mine!! I was sleeved a yr ago , my spleen also knic and I was put in icu for 2 day my heart rate was over 150 not doing any thing ,I had a lot of fuild on my lungs from just laying and not moving , after 7 days and 3 bags of blood later I finally went home .

I just loved how positive you were thru ur whole ordeal! I'm so glad u are ok know.. itcwas ur attitude toward the whole situation .nd of course ur Doc. Hope ur doing well! My surgery is Dec 16th. trying to get thru thru the liquid diet. thank you so much for ur post.

L

quote name="GBFree82" post="2930432" timestamp="1376412855"]

Thanks everyone! Everyday is a better day right now! I was actually good enough to walk around the block this morning between the rain storms.

Please don't be scared to have this surgery, you are changing your life for the better and every journey has a bump or two! :-)

If I had to be honest, once I was feeling better I rather enjoyed my time in the ICU, as said above, I had three nurses (three shift changes) who were dedicated to helping me and looking after me and maybe one other. And I attribute my recovery to their personalized care!

Best of luck to you all!

I can only surmise that her stats on the occurrence of a complication are off. I say this because something similar happened to me, and I could have died. I give my surgeon no credit with saving my life, because as one poster above said the surgeon is the one who caused the problem.

I don't know if I'll ever know what happened in surgery but something did that caused me to lose a lot of blood. When I woke up I felt worse than I ever have in my life. I really wanted to die and stop the suffering. I think the reason I felt so bad is because of blood loss, resulting rapid pulse and very low oxygen level (below 80). My nail beds were white, no color whatsoever. For some reason, unknown and unfathomable, my doctor waited nearly 2 days before giving me a blood transfusion. I guess he was expecting miracles that would cure me overnight.

Only thing I can say with certainty is this: Pick a good doctor. I thought I did, but he was an egotist and a hothead. I had a strong gut feeling not to use him. I didn't listen to my gut and I'm glad I'm here to tell you I made it through.

I had brought a friend with me to be my advocate if I needed it. I needed it, but she just assumed the doctor and nurses knew what they were going. I was completely helpless and at their mercy. I swear I will never let this happen again, even if I have to pay to hire a private nurse.

We don't think about how major this surgery is and that we could have a complication. In both these cases, it sounds like surgeon ineptitude.

Luckily, I'm ok now - no lingering bad effects. So even tho my surgeon nearly killed me, at least he did do a good job on the procedure. I haven't had any problems or pain at all, other than gas..