Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're you ever thin before surgery?

I've been overweight since about 8-9 years old. In 12 grade I started dating this guy that told me how beautiful I was but "would be prettier if I lost a few pounds". That's when the anorexia and binge disorders started. I dropped 60lbs very quick in my first year of college. I was happy with myself. Size 8, maybe 160?. Then he cheated, multiple times. I dumped him and lost more weight. Joined college cheer leading and was loving life. Got drunk at a party and was sexually assaulted by 2 people in the dorms. People thought because I was a "party girl" that I deserved it and somehow wanted it. One of the guys was my roommates boyfriend. I got teased to the point where I dropped out of school. I met my now husband through my best friend. Her husband and my husband are brothers. Got pregnant at 19 and gained 80lbs. Had horrible ppd and never lost the weight. Had problems with my husband and gained about 40more. Got pregnant with baby number 2 and was so sick I gained only 2lbs the whole pregnancy. Again, suffered with ppd and gained 20 more. This made me tip the scales at 299 and only 23 years old :(

Had surgery 7/3/13

Sw-299

Surgery weight-289

Cw-260

I was what all of you refer to as skinny, anorexic B!@@@. Super skinny, couldn't gain weight. When I did gain weight it was muscle so I got thinner. Teased tormented and tortured for being too thin. I'm nearly 5'10 at 13 I was 112lbs. At 22 when I joined the Army I was 123lbs. Throughout three pregnancies I gained 50lbs each time, severe morning sickness, gestational diabetes, kidney failure. But I was able to lose the weight due to rigorous training. I left the Army and my hubby left me with three children 7, 2 and 1. Worked through my war injuries and lost 40lbs. I recovered nicely and back to a muscular 160. Met a guy that abused me mentally and physically. He wanted me fat and would make me eat...or else. I gained 70lbs before he left. I was a "lightweight" at 35 BMI, compared to most but the struggle was still there. I was sleeved May 22 and have not weighed myself yet. But I can see it.

I have lost more than 100 pounds 3 times since puberty, each time maintaining for a year or so then gaining it all plus some back in a relatively short amount of time. I am the classic yo-yo'er been all the way up to 351 and all the way down to 145. Lost 135 the first time my junior year of high school, gained 150 back at 19, lost 120 at 21 gained it all back plus some at 23, lost 100 at 25, and gained it back in 6 months or so continued to gain until last fall when I got my first appointment for dr supervised diet, lost and gained back the same 12 pounds until surgery in April. I am 28 now, and down 71 pounds since surgery on April 25th....I am working this tool :)

No weight problems till college. Put on the freshman fifteen and it stayed. Gained after each of two babies. Hit my forties and gained more. Yoyo dieted until finally doing the right thing and got sleeved last month.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Wow. It seems like most of you were thin once. I don't even know what it's like to be thin. Almost got to goal 18 mths ago (post lapband, but before the 30 lbs gain after it slipped last year). I weighed 7 lbs at birth, so normal. By the time I started walking, however, I was a roly poly. was usually the only fat kid in school (nowadays like 1/3 of kids are obese, wasn't like that in the 70's and 80's). I was never obese until adulthood nd I tried my fair share of fad diets in high school (losing 25 lbs 1 summer just eating 1 pc of toast with pb on it a day) so I could be a cheerleader. I didn't make the team and gained it all back before Christmas.

Soon, I'll know what it's like to be thin!

I was thin as a child and young adult. I always thought of myself as a thin person. I gained an extra 10 pounds in my pregnancy - but still thought I looked good. I went to work and gained 10 pounds per year - but still felt okay. I started having back problems - but that was from working at a desk all day. I was really good at avoiding the truth.

My son was visiting over Christmas and posted a family photo. That was a moment of clarity and my reality check. I looked every bit as overweight as I was - 80 pounds worth. I saw a photo of a former co-worker who 'd had lap band and lost 110 pounds. I decided to look into it and went to an informational seminar. When I learned about the sleeve, I went for it and never looked back. That was another moment of clarity and became my mission.

I still think of myself as a thin person. The only difference is that now I am working on it being a reality instead of a memory.

I've been overweight since about 8-9 years old. In 12 grade I started dating this guy that told me how beautiful I was but "would be prettier if I lost a few pounds". That's when the anorexia and binge disorders started. I dropped 60lbs very quick in my first year of college. I was happy with myself. Size 8, maybe 160?. Then he cheated, multiple times. I dumped him and lost more weight. Joined college cheer leading and was loving life. Got drunk at a party and was sexually assaulted by 2 people in the dorms. People thought because I was a "party girl" that I deserved it and somehow wanted it. One of the guys was my roommates boyfriend. I got teased to the point where I dropped out of school. I met my now husband through my best friend. Her husband and my husband are brothers. Got pregnant at 19 and gained 80lbs. Had horrible ppd and never lost the weight. Had problems with my husband and gained about 40more. Got pregnant with baby number 2 and was so sick I gained only 2lbs the whole pregnancy. Again, suffered with ppd and gained 20 more. This made me tip the scales at 299 and only 23 years old :(

Had surgery 7/3/13

Sw-299

Surgery weight-289

Cw-260

What a story you have! God bless you and I hope that you reach a place of peace and happiness with yourself. :-)

My story is a little similar to Fiddleman's. I was a chunky , awkward kid and i paid for it in elementary and middle school. Our high school had so many kids from that came from so many other schools that it was easy to hide. I went into college and found myself at 5'9" and 238lbs. This was in the 80s when having a Members Only jacket was a must :lol: but there was not one to be found at my size. Something snapped and I started starving myself living mostly on Slim Fast power shakes and walking every day. i managed to get down to 175lbs and I was finally thin. I experienced things that I had never experienced before (like catching girls checking me out and looking me over) and things didn't always go the way i thought they would as a slim person (just because you're slim doesn't mean EVERY girl you find attractive will think the same of you). Life was good and being that weight allowed me to go into the Air Force. This is where I began to pay for the mistake of starving myself. When they say "three square meals" they weren't kidding. I was the only person to GAIN weight in basic training and the slim sexy 31 waist jeans I went in with would not fit me afterwards. It was a struggle with weight until I got out of the air force. There was no struggle then as there was no one to get on me about being fat. Up and up the weight went until 15 or so years later i find myself on the higher end of 300lbs. My wife suggested i get weight loss surgery but i wanted to try it on my own first and actually was able to lose 50 lbs. 5 more years of up and down until this year when i'm at 416lbs, I'm diabetic, I have gerd, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. i succumbed to my wife and met with my surgeon in January of this year for the first time.

I was a chubby kid starting around 11 years old (gained a pot belly). I had major knee surgery when I was 10, which left my left leg out of commission for years to come - though Junior High. My weight fluctuated in JH and HS and into my freshman year of college. Then the summer between freshman and sophomore year I was some how inspired to follow a TV workout (weight lifting) show every morning and then walked 2 miles right after. The remaining weight I had, dropped off quite a bit – I was fitting into a size 4 pair of jeans. That lasted about a year and then I started to gain again after I arrived home from a semester in Rome, Italy. Upon my arrival back home I got depressed and decided to transfer to a new art school. This was one of the best moves I ever made! I moved to Savannah GA and had the best 2 years of my life and college life. The whole city was my campus and I did not have a car so I had to walk everywhere. I also made an effort to run in the beautiful park there too. I dropped down to an astonishing 120lbs. and was getting crazy attention from guys, especially since I was in a male dominated major – 3D animation. The honeymoon lasted for 2 years and then after graduation I moved to Delaware for my first job and took on a different life style. I have since moved all over the country for different jobs and never really found my balance again. I have dropped and gained weight off over the years (just turned 40 last month). The past couple years have been the worst though, I lost my Dad in Oct. 2008 to a very long and painful disease and moved from Boston back to Atlanta after his passing. Then I just fell into a long deep depression that last for about 3 years until I got the right medication. Now that I am 40, I am ready to be 40 and fabulous! I want to feel balanced and feel good in my skin again. I have not dated in 4 years and I would like to get back to that too. The thought of dating is a bit scary and exciting for me but I am ready to get off the sidelines and play an active part in the game of life. I have surrendered so many opportunities for fun and happiness, that now I don’t want to waste another minute. I am a person who feels there best and most whole when I am at a lower weight and it’s been a long time since that has been the case.

Love and prayers to all of you as you embark on your journeys for weight loss success, happiness and fulfillment!

August 15th is my big day!

Yes, I was normal weight as a child and teenager. After suffering a bad miscarriage at age 20, I started going up and down with my weight. When I was younger I was more active and walked alot. I also was given healthy food choices as a child, with treats of limited junk foods. I enjoyed fruits and still do today,but now I am a diabetic and have to watch my intact of fruits.

I was always very very thin up until 3 years ago. I reached my current height of 5'8 when I was 15 and always weighed about 120-126 lbs. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 and gained 100 lbs in less than 1 year. Having this surgery is giving me the boost in the right direction and I can't wait to be closer to my old self.

I was always thin about a size 8 until I was 21. Now 35 and I've gained 120 lbs. always tried to lose and it just kept coming on. After discovering I had pcos and insulin resistance I knew this was my only option. My goal weight is between 115 and 130. Hoping I can get there and get back into "normal" clothing.

Good question. I was athletic in my teens and early twenties. I was 124lbs pregnant at age 24 with my first. Got up to a size 14 with my second. I didn't put on a lot of weight till after my 3rd child. Finally took off 80 lbs got down to a Size 12 after my fourth kid. Exercise and raw food diet go so healthy and. What do you know?

Pregnant again and I ate every thing and continued for 5 years after wards couldn't diet anymore, and here I am today.