Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Your Rant About the Infomercials for Weightloss Products!

Tell us how you really feel...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Tell us how you really feel...

• I'm so sick of infomercials for weightloss products I could hack!!!
    • I could take them or leave them.
    • I find them interesting to see what is new on the market.

I thought I read on a newsite that 4 pill makers are being fined for making false claims? Anyone else remember this?

Yeah - the Size 10 tragedy. What Ever.

I had a little double take on the one that said she was doing it a second time... but she had a baby - so that was her reason to be doing it again.

But again - she went from a 12 to a 4. Woe is me. Size 12. How will I survive the shame and trauma....

Uh. yeah. sure.

Right now the only time the FDA can step in (for these purposes) is if the product claims to "cure". You'll notice that most of these commercials will say everything but that one magic word.

Oh, the tragedy, the tragedy!:cry

I've always found it amusing that in the before pictures, the people are totally pale, and then in the after pictures they are miraculously tanned! Do the pills guarantee you a tan too?? Half the time, the two pictures don't even look like the same person!

What I noticed is that they always seem to show pictures of women who have just had a baby. For the "Marketers" to think that no one would notice something like that, is a little insulting.:mmph:

The worst part is that they give the impression to the rest of the world that all of us should be able to do it with a little help from a pill or an exercise machine. That leads to some really uncomfortable talk shows where thin people tell fat people they can do it if they eat less/exercise more. It's gonna be a long time before THAT discrimination ends, or is even recognized.

Last weekend, my wife and I were babysitting our six year old grand-daughter (I'll call her BAV which are her initials).

She was watching TV and saw a commercial for a doll (I'll call xxxxx) which also happens to be the star of the TV show. In effect, the TV show is a commercial or an infomercial. Our grand-daughter yelled out, "Grandma can you buy me xxxxx?"

I called her over and said, "BAV, do you know where Mommy and Daddy are today?"

"They are working"

"Why are they working?"

"I don't know."

"They are working because when you are hungry and you want a slize of pizza, Daddy has to give the man money for the slice of pizza, and if Daddy doesn't have any money, the man will not give Daddy any Pizza to give to you."

"Daddy has money in his pocket."

"The reason that Daddy has money in his pocket is because he is working and the people he is working for will give him money for doing the work. Do you understand?"

"Yes. If Daddy doesn't work, he will not have money in his pocket."

"That's right BAV. Do you know why they put TV shows on the TV?"

"So we can watch them."

"Yes, but how does the man who puts the TV show on TV get money to buy his daughter a slice of Pizza?"

"You give him money, grandpa?"

"No, but that was a good guess, BAV.

The man who sells xxxxx dolls gives the money to the man who puts the TV show on the TV."

"Why?"

"Because when the man who sells xxxxx gets to tell you to buy xxxxx dolls, Daddy might buy you an xxxxx doll and Daddy will give that man money and that man will give some of the money to the man who puts the TV shows on the TV."

"Oh."

"BAV, Did you ever see them talk about a food on TV that they said was yummy, but when you ate it, it tasted bad?"

"Yes. Sometimes it tastes yucky even when the TV says it tastes good."

"So that means you can't always believe the TV. Right?"

"Right!!

Grandma can you buy me xxxxx?"

BAV is 6 years old. What's your excuse?

What I do not like or agree with is : In Austin where I live there is a certain doc from Another town ( I wont name doc or town ) that has an INFORMERCIAL For lap band surgery on our local cable channel . Its on a " Video on Demand" Channel.

I find that very tasteless as a doctor to advertise that way .

Granted I'll give it this , for info on the lap band itself , it has good info in it, But I find it very distasteful .

Mindy