Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does WLS have any impact on pregnancy? I'm concerned that if I become pregnant my child won't get the nutrients he or she will need since I'm on a restricted diet.

Only if you can't eat at all. I got pregnant 8 months after I got my band and I was filled to 2.2 and he took out 1.1 which left me at 1.1 through my entire pregnancy, I only gained a total of 23 pounds during my pregnancy.

I do think this is a very good question. I am 5'2 at 220 and dont have a regular period. I think because my weight is so high. But anyhow someday I would like to get pregnant so I was so happy to hear you could get pregnat after having the Lap Band.

Kitty ( Healthnet HMO)

I do think this is a very good question. I am 5'2 at 220 and dont have a regular period. I think because my weight is so high. But anyhow someday I would like to get pregnant so I was so happy to hear you could get pregnat after having the Lap Band.

Kitty ( Healthnet HMO)

IMO, you should talk to your OB-GYN. I'm 5'3" at 240 lbs., and I have a regular period, so I would seriously doubt it's weight related. There are other reasons why you might not be regular, and if you want to get pregnant, she might want to run some tests.

My hormones were out of whack before surgery and therefore, I didn't have a regular period. They put me on some meds to get my hormones straightened out and I have had a normal cycle ever since.

My doc told me that LBS can most certainly affect pregnancy, by making it easier. Being overweight can affect all aspects of your health, even your periods. He said after losing weight your body can correct some of those little issues on it's own and getting pregnant could become easier.

I for one look forward to being a pregnant bandster!:preggers:

I am 32 weeks pregnant. I got pregnant 3 months after LBS. I battled years of infertility due to my irregular periods. And my husband and I were thrilled with the news of having a baby. So I do think this is due to weight loss. I didn't have to many fills yet being only 3 months into the process. My OB and Lap band Dr agreed not unfill me. I am able to eat any food which I think means I never was fully restricted. My 3rd month also found that I have gestation diabetes. Which means I now test my blood several times and day and controlls my diabetes with diet. I also see a perinatalogist every 2 weeks who monitors the growth of my baby. Who is growing wonderfully and is very healthy. So far I've gained a total 0f 7 pounds and I feel wonderful.

A good doctor should do a pregnancy test before surgery. If I were you, I would test myself beforehand as well just in case your doctor wouldn't. The reason I say this? My SIL had gastric bypass surgery like 3 years ago. At 1st they did all the testing and then the insurance denied her. Another month or so went by before her doctor got the surgery approved, and I guess they never retested. 2 WEEKS after the surgery she did a home test and found out she was pregnant. To me, for her to test positive 2 weeks after the surgery would mean she would have been pregnant during the surgery, right? All said and done the baby was fine and he is still "normal" developmentally now but a lot could have happened.