Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering 5:2 fast diet

I know there is a group on here but it's a closed group, I'm needing to do something to lose my weight. I bought the book but want to hear from those on here that have or are doing it, pros, cons and suggestions.

This is from the groups front page...

This is a group of us who are trying a new way of eating, called the 5:2 plan, otherwise known as intermittent fasting. it seems to be a good way to lose those last stubborn pounds, or lose those pesky regained pounds!

Welcome, to the 5:2 group. We consist of members that are AT LEAST A YEAR OUT out and almost at goal or have reached goal and put on a few pounds while in maintenance. We are not trying to exclude anyone, but this method is not for the newly sleeved.Please talk to your nutritionist and try the diet first to see if its something you can do. You must TRY INTERMITTENT FASTING FIRST and then if you want to make a commitment to it, send us a message and you'll be invited in.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

http://the5-2dietbook.com/

http://thefastdiet.c...sked-questions/

I am so disappointed that the group requires you to a be a year out. Some of us have to try something new even being 5 or 6 months out. I can see not opening it to people who are immediately post op but it seems restrictive to have the 1-year requirement. You can read the group, you just can't post to it. There's actually a lot of interesting info on it not related to the 5:2 fast. What I would love to see are some examples of what people eat on fast days. I've read the plan and am going to be starting this soon. I'm going to do Protein Shakes and low-carb veggies on my fast days.

I would imagine that being 5 months out you are not eating much more than 600 to 800 calories a day anyway?

I think your guys weight loss is awesome by the way :)

I am so disappointed that the group requires you to a be a year out. Some of us have to try something new even being 5 or 6 months out. I can see not opening it to people who are immediately post op but it seems restrictive to have the 1-year requirement. You can read the group' date=' you just can't post to it. There's actually a lot of interesting info on it not related to the 5:2 fast. What I would love to see are some examples of what people eat on fast days. I've read the plan and am going to be starting this soon. I'm going to do Protein shakes and low-carb veggies on my fast days.[/quote']

I agree, I'm almost 6 months out and haven't lost in months. I was hoping to get thoughts from those that are on it, Hopefully someone will be helpful to us newbie's :)

And the 5:2 method doesn't really yield more than a pound a week for most people..

It's just helping some of the girls get the last few pesky pounds off.. I really feel bad about people feeling excluded and I have noticed several threads since yesterday talking to that effect.. I'm going to ask the owner of the group to perhaps make it a group that does not show up on The main page and current threads section.

And the 5:2 method doesn't really yield more than a pound a week for most people..

It's just helping some of the girls get the last few pesky pounds off.. I really feel bad about people feeling excluded and I have noticed several threads since yesterday talking to that effect.. I'm going to ask the owner of the group to perhaps make it a group that does not show up on The main page and current threads section.

How do I get in the group I am more then a year out I have been doing the 5:2 for the past couple of weeks

How do I get in the group I am more then a year out I have been doing the 5:2 for the past couple of weeks

I am not the owner of the group, but i will tell her pm you.

The reason for the one year is it can take a year just letting the sleeve work as a tool. A lot of people are still under their doctor's supervision for a year, or seeing a nutritionist.

I don't want anyone going against their doctor's orders.

Anyone can read about the diet and see if they think they can stick with it long term. The people in this group plan to continue to eat this way for maintenance.

The reason for the one year is it can take a year just letting the sleeve work as a tool. A lot of people are still under their doctor's supervision for a year, or seeing a nutritionist.

I don't want anyone going against their doctor's orders.

Anyone can read about the diet and see if they think they can stick with it long term. The people in this group plan to continue to eat this way for maintenance.

I talked to my dietitian about the 5:2 fast and am doing it under her supervision. It is in keeping with what she has suggested to me even pre-op, which is to shake things up by varying calorie and carb/protein levels during the same calendar week to sort of shock your body. She is an awesome RD. It's not the same as being able to share personal experiences though. I agree that someone who is 3 months out and is losing 5 lbs a week probably doesn't need the 5:2, but I'm hypothyroid secondary to pituitary issues and always have been and always will be a slow loser, and I'm hoping this plan will shake things up enough that I can lose at least 2 pounds a week. I have a ways to go to goal.

I started a thread on the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet that is open to all if anyone is interested:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/88259-52-intermittent-fasting-thread-open-to-all/

I'm hoping that we can keep the thread very focused on the plan and share our experiences, including what seems to be working, what doesn't, etc.

Can I just ask and this is mainly be just stirring the pot..but not everyone in that closed group is AT LEAST a year out. I understand the want for a group where you can post and share your own ideas..but if you only want to keep it to certain people..then own that..don't say it is for people at least a year out when in looking at some of the surgery dates..not all of you are a year out. I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just pointing out where people get the impression that the group doesn't really want new members.

i broke my wrist and I cant get online much right now.I thought everyone was a year out cause they all started 5:2

before me.

When I am feeling better, I will get this figured out.

I don't know that the requirement needs to be specifically a year; then again I lost to goal at a very slow pace - so on the one hand I remember the desire to find that thing to shake things up, but at the same time, many of the people that are posting that they want to do the 5:2 thing are just a few months out and losing at a perfectly normal pace. No need to mess with that. I think that the first reason people wanted to keep the group private was the high number of PMs and posts from people JUST SLEEVED experiencing perfectly normal weight loss wanting to try a method of eating that is not suited to that time frame.

If you're not eating more than 1,200-1,300 calories a day already I don't see how intermittent fasting is going to benefit. The idea is the deficit built up over the two fasting days with a normal diet of 2,000 calories - with many of even the vets doing this, it's being done with a feast day limit that's much lower than that. What does that mean? If the 2,000 calorie feast days are part of a plan designed to shed 1-2 pounds a week, many of us get even less than that because most of the gals have trouble hitting even 1,300 calories a day. I'm three years out: my feast days are closer to 1,600 but I still have some where I just don't eat more than 1,200 myself.

And this is not a program for people with a large amount of weight to lose if they're going to be frustrated with slow loss. I've logged losses in the TENTHS of a pound for the last two weeks. I think a lot of people feel like they're being excluded from a nifty new weight loss technique when that's not the case at all. This is the ideal program for someone closing in on goal and transitioning to maintenance. It is simply not ideally suited to someone just a few months out with more than sixty pounds to lose, which is why the group of us is entirely compromised of people closing in on goal or trying to lose a regain (and yes, one or two members are less than a year out). That said, Google is fantastic and there's more than one neato website that will explain the method to you so you can do it on your own. The group is limited to people farther out; but nobody needs the approval of anyone else to go solo, or start a new thread or group (as has already been done).

So it's not that there's this super special clique that's excluding people. It's that the vast majority of people that were inquiring about this method are already 1) losing at a perfectly reasonable rate and 2) unable to build up a deficit that would make 5:2 even remotely useful.

The group was started by someone that has never started a group before and who isn't on VST every day. Cut her some slack and send a PM, or go join in on the other thread or use Google or search out one of the half a dozen threads here already talking about 5:2 and how it works. Lots of options here; no need for this to degenerate into accusations and unpleasantness.

~Cheri