Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week to surgery - Just a few questions

Hey everyone! I am one week to surgery. I can't tell you how scared I am. Every day I question whether this is too drastic, but I come to this sight and get my convistion back! So thanks to you all.

Just a couple of questions...

For the first 2 weeks of liquids, are you extremely hungry? Has anyone tried to take phentaramine (crushed up, of course) too help with hunger?

I just started reading about the kidney stones. I've already had kidney stones 4 times in the last 10 years!!! Anyone out there in this situation - Any advice. I cringe every time I get a back pain, afraid it might be another stone!

Anyone had surgery at the Cincinnati Weight loss center? Any comments?

vannav12, I'm also about a week from surgery, so I am also feeling my head spin with questions and concerns. As a pre-bander I'm no expert on anything, but I have spent a good bit of time reading on this forum, and I'll pass on what others have said about your questions.

Most people seem to say that they don't get hungry for a while after surgery. It appears that the first week after surgery hunger is usually not that great. But then it kicks in it can be quite a struggle to stay on a liquid diet during the healing stage when, medically speaking, you are not ready for anything more than liquids, but you are hungry anyway. Doctors seem to have different plans for post-op diets, and these plans can also vary from patient to patient with the same doctor. I think doctors are generally willing to let you go on to "mushies" sooner if you are healing well and struggling with a liquid diet. I understand that hunger becomes much less of an issue once you get to mushies.

Regarding phentermine, I've used it before in one of my diet phases and it can help take the appetite away for a while, although it loses its effectiveness pretty quickly for most people. My own personal opinion is that the lap band is a system that is designed to control hunger permanently (once you get past the healing stage). In my opinion it does not really make sense to take diet pills while you have the band. I think if you are going to make such a dramatic move as to have lap band surgery, you should try and let the system work for you and learn how to use the tool, and not avoid learning how to use the tool by taking phentermine. But that, of course, is just my own personal opinion. Anyway, if you do use phentermine, you'll probably find that it is not effective as an appetite suppresant after about 6 weeks. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be that way for almost everyone.

Regarding kidney stones, there are only two kinds of people in the world, those who have had them, and those who have not. I'm one of those who have not, so I can't possibly understand what it is like. I can just tell you that some people on this forum say that you are at greater risk for kidney stones if you get dehydrated. Dehydration is often a problem after lap band surgery because it's hard to drink larger volumes of liquids quickly, especially at first. But you have already had kidney stones in your life, so you may have other reasons for getting them. Obviously I can't tell you much about that.

There is one thing I would recommend. If you are getting surgery in a week then you are a January Bandster. You would probably find that it would be useful for you to find that January Bandsters thread and start to read the thread and post on there if you have questions. There is a lot of good information just on that one thrread, and a lot of people happy to help. You'll probably find people having surgery the same day as you and they can be good to talk to.

It can also be useful to run searches in this forum. We've all had these same questions and most things have been discussed in the past.

Good luck.

Marjon9, Thank you for the reply! I will go to the January bandsters. Also, I guess I have to agree with you about the diet pills. DARN IT !!!! I'm just so scarred that my will power will not hold up. It hasn't any other time in my life!!! Thanks and good luck on your band.

I'm a little over a week post op and I too was so scared about surgery I almost didn't go through with it. It happened when I walked into my hospital room and the nurses asked me to change into a gown. It hit me like a ton of bricks and it wasn't untill they gave me anti anxiety meds that I finally calmed down, then heading to the OR they had to give me the anesthegia in the hall way so that they didn't have to deal with my reaction the the OR lol. I'm glad I did it though. I didn't feel really hungry on the liquid diet but you really have to stick with it to the T. See the first couple of days I had a hard time eating and sleeping just because it seemed like I was supposed to take in so much that their wasn't enough time in the day to take it in...plus I'm a very nappy person. Then the by the third and fourth day I found myself getting better sleep but when I woke up I felt weak like I had to eat or I'd pass out. That's when I realized how important it was to keep the diet. I typically don't feel hungry unless I'm freakin starving and my body needs nutrition. But everyone is different. I also had the liquid diet for only a week and by the end of that week I had enough of liquids!

As far as the kidney stones...I've never had one so I don't know what its like and frankly I hope that everything goes well for you! It doesn't sound fun.

I hope I was helpful!

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and feeling great. First week - no hunger at all - mostly liquids, second week not much hunger but my doctor let me go to mushies after 3 days so baked pots., grits, Soups, were very filling. Now, getting ready to be my 3rd week I feel like I'm eating more and wanting to snack. That tells me it's time for a fill soon.

Don't hesitate to do this - I can't believe how awesome this band is. Of course it's not for everyone - but I was sure I wouldn't like it and I love it! I feel full after not eating much at all - for the first time in my life. After the soreness went away and the cloud lifted from all the anesthesia I feel 100% normal but not hungry - too great! Good luck Vanna!

3 days post op. Talking about anxiety, I sat in the pre op room crying, wondering if I had thought this through enough. My learning about surgery occured mid October and by November 1st I was committed to having it. I was so confused and scared before going into the OR, but then I flashed back on old pictures of myself I had recently found, or how I sometimes crop my pics so you don't see all of me, and thought about how I feel I cannot control my weight now, and I am still relatively young, but it gets harder as we get older. This is the beginning of my new life and I am so happy I did it. I am obviously happier to be over the surgery. If it's any consolation, my surgeon had only performed like 8 band surgeries before me lol. I had all of that to think about too. God bless those sedatives they give you!!! It is normal to be anxious, that makes us human. I was more scared than others, I think, and came out of it all right.

With regard to post op eating. I hated the 2 days I was on Clear Liquids, but I wasn't really hungry. I am on full liquids and actually finding myself slightly more hungry, but I think it's because I am not drinking nearly as much Water as I am supposed to. I am trying to learn my body cues and new tolerances and stuff. I think once all that falls into place I am going to be just fine. I have already lost 5 lbs! I know that is just the new eating pattern and will plateau before any significant weight loss, but being a chronic dieter, 5 lbs means so much to me. My double chin is gone lol...and this time it's never gonna come back. Those are reasons that make me so happy I did this. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or anything. The support on here helped me through a lot of my confusion. My name is Jen, by the way...

Vanna, I had my surgery five weeks ago, so have been on the regular diet for only a week. I was not hungry the first two weeks post-op on the liquid diet. Just make sure to keep yourself well-hydrated between "meals" (after that one hour post meal). I was definitely ready to move up to soft foods after the two weeks. The sugar-free pudding tasted great to me and just four ounces was filling. Good luck with your surgery. I think you will be so happy that you did it. I sure am!! Carolyn

Thanks for these posts...they're helping to calm me down. I am SURE to freak out that day. My Mom promised she won't let me back out. She knows I want this more than anything.

You will be just fine. I was freaking out the morning of the surgery, but my husband was there to back me in this. He's seen the struggle that I've had with my weight and he knew that this was what I wanted for myself and noone else. The first week or so I wondered why I did it. Not because of the way I felt, but I mourned food. I always had food when I was happy, sad, angry, tired etc... My best friend had LEFT ME!!! I had to learn to cope with things without using food.

I hope that you enjoy your band as much as I've enjoyed mine. But remember that you will never look at food the same again. I have lost @ 100lbs since Nov of 05. Good luck!!!!