Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Dr. Mark Paya

I just got an HMO that pays for gastric surgery. So I'm thinking about getting the lap-band, and I'm considering Dr. Mark Paya. Any recommendations / opinions?

Also, I was googling lap-bands and I ran across a place in San Fran that said that, due to their patient's experiences, they can't in good conscience, recommend this surgery anymore. What's that about?

Are there obsolete type of banding surgeries? Is there a specific type of band I should be looking for?

I don't know anything about that surgeon, but have you checked out obesityhelp.com? If you click on the "find a bariatric surgeon" link toward the top left of the page, they provide pretty good information about the the experience of different surgeons. You can search according to location. I used it as a start to my research. You can compare experience in terms of years in field and the # of surgeries performed etc. Of course, you should still get testemonials.

Here's one from the San Fran area that looks good on paper

Paul Cirangle, M.D.

2100 Webster Street, Suite #518

San Francisco, CA 94115

Phone: (415) 561-1310

Fax: (415) 561-1713

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+profile+Paul+Cirangle+dpj.html

Good luck!

My Ins is sending me to Dr. Mark Paya over at Northridge Hospital. I keep hearing wonderful things about him. I have 4 3/4 months left of the six month diet coaching program until they will let me have the surgical consult and the lapband surgery. I am soooo excited!! Please let us know what you think of Dr Paya:)

A woman at work went to Dr. Paya and she loves him. She's lost 89 lbs. since last January, and has had no problems with her band. She said that the pre-op liquid diet was 3 days when she did it, but she's heard it's down to 1 day now. And she was back on mushies within a couple weeks post-op. She loves her band.

I'm going to call my HMO PCP and try to start the process this week.

Hi all,

Did any of you end up going with Dr. Paya? I had mine done by him almost a week ago and I loved them all! His staff is absolutely wonderful!!

Just wondering

:biggrin1:

I just got an HMO that pays for gastric surgery. So I'm thinking about getting the lap-band, and I'm considering Dr. Mark Paya. Any recommendations / opinions?

Also, I was googling lap-bands and I ran across a place in San Fran that said that, due to their patient's experiences, they can't in good conscience, recommend this surgery anymore. What's that about?

Are there obsolete type of banding surgeries? Is there a specific type of band I should be looking for?

I was banded by Dr.Paya in July at West Hills Hospital. It's the best choice I've ever made. Dr. Paya and his staff are great. I was very impressed with the hospital too.

Dr. Mark Paya.....I would trust my life with him. I never felt afraid because he is a brilliant surgeon.:mad:

I would send my loved ones to him .....but everyone in my family is thin!!LOL!! He is simply the best.

Do not go to Dr. Paya. He is a slime who care nothing about his patients. He has a very bad track recors. I know of 4 people who have had many complications with him including myself. I am sure there are many more.

<p>Seems to me any big warnings about a doctor should be accompanied by facts. I am a patient of Dr. Paya's and find him competent and warm, not too agressive with fills, which has suited me just fine, which you can see by my stats.</p>

I am so happy you are ok. Yes this man seems to be the sweetest man in the world. I loved him until I found out what he is really like. I am one in many injured patients of his. There are many of us. He washes his hands of you when there is a real problem from my experience. Unless there is insurance to cover his cost. Then he will just keep doing surgeries again and again. I am just wanting to save someone from my misery. If I can save 1 it will be good. If you keep get sick and he does not want to help you, what will you do? I hope you never have to feel this way. Good luck and God Bless you. Tina

You need to tell us your story rather than all this inuendo, thoughtidbethib. As you can see no one has responded to either this post or your other post anything negative. I had an enlarged pouch with Dr. Paya this year and he never suggested surgery. He was very simpathetic and simply did an unfill and told me to come back for another fluro in 4 weeks. Before you blast such a good doctor you need to tell us why.

He's a great doctor! He is caring and nice and so is the staff. As for the people who are saying bad things about him, name ONE Dr who has a perfect record!! He tells you things can happen. There's no guarantee that you won't have complications. He has a very good record in comparison to other surgeons. And yes he dose care! My mother had complications and he called several time to check on her and make sure she was getting better and was ok. I'm going to use him and have no worry that he will do a good job.

yay!!!!!!!!!!! all my fellow dr. paya patients...he is the absolute best!!!!!!!!!!!!! so supportive...wants nothing but the best 4 his patients!!!!!!!!!!! dr. paya is a household name and i'm one of his biggest fans!!!!!!!!! i have lost 116 pounds in 6 months and two days!!!!!!!!!! thank u dr. paya!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree , the first year I thought he was wonderful too. then as soon as my year was up and i was out of money he could care less about me .