Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CGJ So, I got private messaged from someone going over the edge... regretting surgery and afraid all she will ever be able to do is sip Water and eat 1 spoon of mush at a time etc. Seriously, she writes like a person on the verge of insanity. I feel like i don't have much to offer - I mean I so far have never regretted it. She weighed under 200# at time of her surgery and honestly, 200# was my success mark - if I made it under that surgery was a win for me. so, it is hard at times to relate to someone who started UNDER my initial goal. I sent her some encouraging words because I try to be a good person, but lord no wonder people like tiffykins and others moved on from here....

i HAVE TO KNOW, SHERYL, was your PM from hope1212?  I got one too (she weighed 194 @ surgery crying about fact she couldnt drink water and would she EVER be able to go out with friends, etc.  Sounds like same person.  I responded - tried to be as helpful as I could but I wonder why if she has been on any of the threads which deal with this stuff (there are LOTS) she feels the need to PM folks.  Just a thought...  don't mind answering them but seems like a waste of time for her when she could read the same stuff elsewhere.

Wanda, on the book stuff - it sounds just like what most of us do anyway.  To really lose the weight I stringently watched fast days, sometimes 4:3 and on non-fast days ate VERY CLEANLY at a lower calorie count overall most days.  It does make a huge difference, I think that you really, really watch it on ALL days if you want to make the scales move more frequently.

Now, as for me right now - the scales are moving - just in the wrong direction.  :(  LOL  I've been eating WAYYY too much junk for the last couple weeks or so.  And not exercising except for some walking sporadically either.   Just cant seem to get myself focused right now.

On another note - I have spent the last three Mondays going to doctor visits of all kinds.  First, my PCP ran my labs - of course, Vit D waaaay low - now on a regimen to get that up which I'm told also decreases your ability to absorb Calcium properly.  :(  So then bone density test, (another return to PCP) in stages of osteopenia, I believe like 1.2 or so - 2.2 is osteoporosis itself!  So now I'm starting Boniva once a month.  And let me just tell you, like they said drink with a FULL glass of Water, don't eat, don't drink anything else, dont lay down it will give you STRONG reflux.  I did all that and for half a day, I had horrible reflux anyway.  THE FIRST PILL THE FIRST MONTH.   It's settled down now but...   Kinda scared me, though, to have so much show up on my bone density test when my last one about 5 years or so ago was fine.  Now I'm kinda freaked about whether or not my surgery has played a part in this.  I know I have not taken my calcium and vit d supplements as regularly as I should have but I eat lots of cheese, etc so I would think my diet would have been giving me plenty of calcium.  Anybody else had issues like this.  I am 60 but I'm a YOUNG 60!   :)   I, certainly, don't want to have these types of issues continue. 

Next, I went to foot doctor - have a large ganglian cyst that just keeps getting bigger on the side of my right foot - got to have that removed the end of the month.

Dermatologist - had some places burned off pre-cancerous. 

And on and on and on!   Ha!  Also, got the shingles shot script to get the vaccine. And they gave me a tetanus-booster yesterday.   And I'm then going to get the Hep B series (3 shots)  

DEAR.    LORD.     LOL    I feel like my mother!!!!!   I DID let it all pile up and now getting it all done at once and in the process, changed/found doctors in my immediate city versus where I had lived prior to moving 6 years ago so that started it all off.  All in all, most things good - my cholesterol was slightly elevated but my PCP said my GOOD was so high that I was in good shape and just try to cut back somewhat on fats etc. 

Well, now you know what I'VE been doing for the past couple weeks!   HA!

Sheryl, I also have been having more "stomach" issues and some pain - I'm hoping it is because I'm tihinking about it more (if you know what I mean)   I'm going to watch it.  It could also be because I've been eating poorly.  :(

Florinda, good to hear from you and even though all is not great, it's good to hear about your "friend!"  Sounds promising. 

Wishing you the best outcome with your doctors.  Have you tried calling and seeing if they will fax/ email you some test results/diagnosis?  

Oh, and one other thing, I really like Gamergirl - glad she showed back up.  You know she is who Laura and Butter got into it with.  They rubbed each other the wrong way constantly.  Ha!   Miss Laura and Butter. 

GG is quite brilliant, I beleive, and I always enjoy reading her info - like her kinda caustic responses (because I relate!  LOL) I don't see what she would gain by us adding her to THIS group, though.  She is not a year out yet - still in loss period for her VSG and hasn't ever done 5:2. 

Like others have said, maybe she/others need to start another group and "close it". 

Georgia....we have the same wacky penpal. I think some people must be even loneliester than I am!

Yes... I wonder how much of my issues are in my head. I was telling the doc that last summer I felt so strong....now I feel less robust somehow. He told me he was depressed all weekend cuz his sons didnt want to do stuff with dad. He really took me seriously but just told me i look amazing, I dont have redflag symptoms and contrary to what some think.... I am in no danger of blowing away in the wind.

Florinda...wonderful to hear from you. Safe and sound and a new guy...woohoo!

My advice....people will eat junk everywhere you go....need to find our own compass. I say this after a lifetime of struggling with the "see food" diet.

Oh, and one other thing, I really like Gamergirl - glad she showed back up. You know she is who Laura and Butter got into it with. They rubbed each other the wrong way constantly. Ha! Miss Laura and Butter.

GG is quite brilliant, I beleive, and I always enjoy reading her info - like her kinda caustic responses (because I relate! LOL) I don't see what she would gain by us adding her to THIS group, though. She is not a year out yet - still in loss period for her VSG and hasn't ever done 5:2.

Like others have said, maybe she/others need to start another group and "close it".

Is this why butter and Laura departed? Miss em both

GG is crazy analytical and needs the occasional reminder that not everything works on a spreadsheet....but I like her alot too.

I'm in the house! Surrounded by boxes but it is going to be good.

Florinda good to hear from you, we have all been worried by your silence.

I have not weighed for 2 weeks now and am worried, clothes feel a bit tight. I don't know which box the scales are in, I think I need to get back on program and get some fast days in. New house, new start and new me!

I'm in the house! Surrounded by boxes but it is going to be good. Florinda good to hear from you, we have all been worried by your silence. I have not weighed for 2 weeks now and am worried, clothes feel a bit tight. I don't know which box the scales are in, I think I need to get back on program and get some fast days in. New house, new start and new me!

Whoo hoo!!!!! Glad you are in the house.aube we need to get a new PUSH going in our 5:2 group. I need to get back down at least 5 pounds.

Thanks for the summary Wanda!

I like gamergirl and would be okay with adding her but we don't talk that much about 5:2 here so I think it should just be a thread on the vets forum...

I am concerned about long term complications these days due to all the talk, but trying to manage that in a rational way and think about what I can do to prevent it rather than being "worried".  I have not been taking my Calcium the last few months because i can't stand the IDEA of those huge pills while my appetite is so bad. I have to "steel" myself just to take tiny pills. Not because of physical restriction but because the thought of those things hitting my stomach just makes me go "blech" right now.

Gamegirl is at 9 months, is 5 pounds from goal. and says what she really wants is support more than the 5:2 even though she is interested.

Here is her email to me....

Thanks Kim! I feel good. Getting there slowly although I think in 5 more lbs I will decide I need to be even lower  :)

I understand about the private chit chat. I'm sort of in limbo at 9 months. Too "young" for the vets group, too old for the outside groups so I'm having trouble finding a little support from time to time. If there is indeed another 5:2 group I'd love to join, not so much for the 5:2 really, more so for the support. Thanks so much for replying. 

Btw I love seeing on MFP the calories you burn from belly dancing. It makes me happy  :)

-----------------

I can't stand swallowing big hard calcium pills, I use soft chews or the chalkey chewables (I kind of like them, just don't breath in while chewing! ) Bariatric Advantage Calciums. I like the cherry best... http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-advantage-bariatric-chewable-calcium-270ct-wildcherry.html

Hello everyone, long time no comment, I know.

I spent 10 days in Germany, where I did not receive any of the care I needed.  I was sent to the States and told that if I didn't get a certain piece of paperwork completed within a certain time frame, that I would be considered AWOL.  At the very last possible moment, quite literally the 11th hour, they accepted my paperwork.

Now I must focus on filing for worker's comp and filing my formal complaints against the leadership and the neurologist in Germany.  I arrived in San Diego on the 23rd of April and will stay here with my friend and her family till the end of May.  She has two boys, 14 and 3, and it is insanity 24/7 - not the best environment for healing. 

My Mom will come down at the end of the month and we will take a driving holiday north on the PCH, the Pacific Coast Highway, all the way up the length of CA.  I did this drive when I redeployed from Iraq in spring of 2011 and it is stunning and beautiful, I'm excited to share it with her.

Since arriving here at my friends house I have eaten absolute junk and feel enormously fat in my skin.  She talked a good game in the weeks before I arrived about wanting to get healthy and eat right, etc. but once it became a reality she wasn't as keen on the idea ;P  I gave up on trying to get her and the boys to eat healthfully and instead have settled for just getting them to eat home-cooked meals.

Once I got here I found a neurologist and began having tests.  I had a lumbar puncture last week, on wednesday, and by Mother's day I was in the ER with the kind of pain I can't even begin to describe, from the loss of cerebro-spinal Fluid, my brain was touching parts of my skull.  I hope I will be able to get in to see the neurologist soon, before I leave, because I need a definitive Dx for my worker's comp file.  Does anyone know how I should deal with having my diagnosing Dr so far away, when I am up north and he is here?

While I was in Afghanistan I started talking with an intelligent sweet young man; we started with e-mails, then live chatting, when I got to Germany we started Skyping and during the time I was there we would start and end our days with Skype sessions which worked out perfectly because I was 8 hours ahead of him (he was in OR).

By the time I was heading to CA, we were talking about him coming down to see me in San Diego because the idea of going another 2 months (minimum) before getting to see each other was just not an option.  A week after I arrived, he flew down from Eugene OR.  He stayed for a week and it was wonderful, exhilarating, revelatory, and comforting.  I learned about his family, his pains and his joys, and he learned the same about me.  He is such a natural part of me and my life.  He knows about my medical issues, knows about my sleeve, knows my REAL AGE :P and hasn't run away ^_^.  He is intelligent, thoughtful, romantic, respectful, considerate, tender, logical, expressive and has satiny lips   ^_^.  He is going to come down to Mendocino to help me move up to Seattle.

He loves my body, is not interested in me losing more weight, but is supportive in my health goals.  He thinks I am beautiful, in every way.  *sigh*  

From today I have 17 days left here in SoCal, I have not stepped on a scale since I left my FOB and judging from my reflection in the mirror after the shower and how my underwear is fitting, I have a horrible certainty that I have gained 12 pounds v_v.  So, it is back to Full Time VVLC.  17 days of that should take off this bloat and allow me to do 5:2 during the month I am with my Mom so, hopefully, I will be at a new authentic low by the time I see Jack again ^_^.

Nice to hear from you! The boy sounds very nice. I love the PCH, its a wonderful drive, enjoy with mom.

Oh, and one other thing, I really like Gamergirl - glad she showed back up.  You know she is who Laura and Butter got into it with.  They rubbed each other the wrong way constantly.  Ha!   Miss Laura and Butter. 

GG is quite brilliant, I beleive, and I always enjoy reading her info - like her kinda caustic responses (because I relate!  LOL) I don't see what she would gain by us adding her to THIS group, though.  She is not a year out yet - still in loss period for her VSG and hasn't ever done 5:2. 

Laura said it had nothing to do with Gamegirl, but they sure did butt heads a time or two. I wish I knew if there was ever a chance that Laura was coming back, It mite make a difference if we invited Gamegirl., I like her too... Maybe we do need to start an other group, but I have hardly keep up with this one! I don't want to divert my attention from this one.

I'm with you, Kim! I do good to read through and respond to 5/2. I don't want our dynamic to change. Boy, that sounds kinda selfish, doesn't it?

But I LIKE this group of compadres and feel like we have "each other's back!" I don't think I could invest this much in another group.

Edited by Georgia

I'm with you, Kim! I do good to read through and respond to 5/2. I don't want our dynamic to change. Boy, that sounds kinda selfish, doesn't it? But I LIKE this group of compadres and feel like we have "each other's back!" I don't think I could invest this much in another group.

I feel the same way. Let's keep our group the way it is. Denise said not too long ago she didn't want to add anymore. I'm ok being selfish with this decision!

I completely support everyone in wanting to keep this group "status quo". I am open to inviting others in the future but only when everyone is comfortable with it and feels that it adds value.

So, I read the presentation materials for the local support groups... the carb lecture won't work for me. I think for most of us the recommendation of 130-150 carbs a day is too high. That might be fine for men, perhaps younger active people.... but as far as a daily average I think it is too high for me. I don't track but I so seldom eat bread, Pasta, crackers or even most fruits. I get most of my carbs from berries, low carb veggies and my happy hour drinks on Friday night!

So, my weight is stable now... in fact I had kind of a salty day yesterday so I was up to 144 this morning. I am definately keeping 5:2 in mind as I like the low 140s and would like to maintain here. Since I didn't intentionally try to lose to get to this weight i am not sure how easy it is going to be to maintain as my appetite returns. I am definately eating more now and haven't really tackled resuming vigourous exercise yet.

Ah Steven... yes I love him but he is the worst boyfriend ever. What I mean by that is he works 7 days a week alot of times (in winter he does ski instruction on weekends; this time of year he does public speaking gigs so he is traveling all weekend for them) on top of his day job which is for his own business - so no vacation there. He really isn't available to be what I want. I know and accept that but it keeps our relationship very limited. Besides that, he has issues that are more than I will accept in a long term partner. I know, we have been seeing each other like a year.... but in this very limited kind of way. It is not something that will work out for the long run, but I am being super picky in finding someone new and frankly not really looking too assertively right now.

I had a weirdo thing happen at work a few weeks ago. I went to a retirement party for a colleague an a former boss of mine (now retired himself) showed up. He was so weird around me....it made me sad. He would look at me and kind of shake his head, he congratulated me on how great I look but it was unbelievably awkward. He wouldn't make eye contact. It made me sad since he was so influencial to me and I value his opinion so much. I decided that when I am feeling good again I would take him out to lunch and sort of "clear the air". Try to figure out why I make him so uncomfortable now. Then, it hit me. He is attracted to me! HA! I am about 90% sure that is why he was acting so weird.

I thank God, heaven and earth every day for being normal sized, for looking like a normal woman, for being blessed with decent health (in spite of some of my issues). I never expected to make it to this weight/size much less be considered attractive. It is a strange experience to find that it influences how people react to me. The surprise for me is that for all the looks and compliments I get - it does not translate into being asked out on dates or anything like that. It's a puzzler - or maybe not. i sometimes think I am pretty good at creating a protective barrier around me even though I don't have a layer of fat to do that for me anymore...

Hi Globe great to hear from you. The ride along the coast sounds great. Jack sounds really great. Good luck there. U know distance relationships are hard, but well worth the effort between the right people

I have no advice bout the docs and such. With all our technology there must be a way

We were concerned about u. So glad u checked in. Enjoy your Mom time

Our relationship is only long distance right now, soon I will be in Seattle and he is in Eugene, looking to move to Seattle or Portland. Considering our relationship began while I was in Afghanistan, that is a considerably shorter distance :P

Has anyone had any experience with having to interact with your Dr long distance?

Florinda, I was banded when I lived in Munich by a doctor in Frankfurt. It was a pain since bands need constant care and attention...

Is your surgeon in Cali? Are you having health issues related to your sleeve?

I am starting to think it was a bad idea to have swimrunbike post all that nutrient stuff... I am still not 100% on eating well and I keep getting these waves of "ugghh" and wonder if I am dying of the sleeve...lol. Not really dying, but you know what I mean? I used to feel really really really confident in my post sleeve health but the last 2 months has eroded that confidence.