Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were you eating 3-4 weeks post-op?

Happy Wednesday everyone!

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post-op and struggling, just a little bit...., to consume more than 500 calories a day. I would love advice from more experienced sleevers on how to increase calorie intake at this stage!

On a typical day I am able to eat the following:

1/2 Fage O% Greek Yogurt

6 oz non-fat steamed milk w/ 1 scoop Isopure Protein Powder

2/3 Isopure Zero Carb

1/2 cup Miso Soup

1/2 cup Tomato Soup

1/4 cup non-fat shredded cheese

OR

1/2 cup Split Pea Soup

This amounts to about 84 grams of Protein, but only 400- 500 calories! I eat or drink pretty much constantly to try and consume more calories, but there just doesn't seem to be any room!

I know everyone is different, but it would be super helpful to see what you were eating at 4 weeks out!

Thanks everyone <3

Don't worry about the calories so much right now...I had to be on liquids, greek yogurt and broths for the first 3 weeks..My NUT wasnt' concerned about calories, just liquids and protein...

Don't count calories, just make sure you try and stay below 5 grams of both fat and sugar. At week 3 I could have pureed but also tuna smashed with low fat mayo, eggs, scrambled with a bit of low fat cheese thrown in or I made egg salad. Chew, chew, chew. sugar free puddings are good too.

I wouldn't worry about how many calories you are getting in at this stage but since you're still clearly on liquids I think 400-500 a day is to be expected. 80 grams of Protein is great. When you progress to pureed and soft solid foods you will consume a lot more. I was sleeved 2 days before you but I am long past liquids, now onto soft foods. Everyone's plan is different. I get about 600-650 calories a day from different sorts of protein (shakes, Beans, meat, dairy) and a little cooked vegetables. I also am back at the gym which has helped my energy and mood.

You're doing great. Are you asking about calories bc you feel hungry or weak, or because mentally you feel like it should be more? I would say you are at just about average for this phase. you are doing great on your protein!

PS--this is pretty similar to what I ate at your stage. I also did some mushies like refried Beans with cheese and added unflavored Protein Powder to Soups (cooled down a bit to avoid clumping), sugar-free hot chocolate, or Greek yogurt (more palatable to add half a scoop to that much Greek yogurt). You could try ricotta cheese too and I did vegetarian meatballs by Morningstar mushed up in the ricotta with a little marinara. At 3-4 weeks I could only eat 2 to 2.5 meatballs and now I can eat 4 or 5. Your stomach is still very swollen. I didn't feel like mine was normal (new normal) until about 4 months out.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm definitely not feeling hungry at all, it's difficult for me to even finish the foods I am getting, but I've been pretty tired and was wondering if that was connected to my low calorie intake?

Also, a lot of people listed 600-800 calorie intake at 4 weeks out and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong :)

Due to some..... drama within my surgical team, I haven't been receiving responses to my post-surgery questions very quickly, or at all. Because of this, I guess I've been a little anxious? I really want to make sure I'm using this tool and my time wisely... you know?

@TES, I worshiped Morningstar Farms pre-surgery! I will definitely try the meatballs :)

That's very similar to the amounts I consumed at 4 weeks. My plan also allowed chicken, pork, and fish, along with cooked vegetables. So I ate an ounce or two ounces of Protein at lunch and dinner instead of Soup. Sometimes, I ate turkey chili.

Lynda