Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made the mistake of announcing on Facebook that I was having this procedure, Lesson learned! Never again! I am "crazy" and Ive been lectured for weeks now about how I should "try Weight Watchers" or here's the best...wait for it...."just stop eating" hahahahhahahahahah I cant! what did you guys say when people tell you negative things about the sleeve procedure or weight loss surgery in general? my favorite thus far has been, "you don't have the will power, your going to over eat & be very sick the rest of your life"...nice right? thankfully my family is on board but friends & coworkers are brutal! ugh!

I am so sorry! People who have never been obese or overweight will never understand what a HUGE battle it is so far I have only told my close friends and my family and they are all supportive wish I could help

I was shocked that one of my friends who I thought would be the most supportive just went off on me about this was the complete wrong decision and I must be crazy, so don't feel bad not just your friends. I now take it all in stride. I made this decision for me no one else, and if they really get bitchy (like my friend) I point out that the risks of the surgery are alot smaller than me remaining the size I am. I also point out that I'm not stupid, I didn't just wake up one more drive to the hospital and tell them to cut me open..lol...I researched and spent alot of time soul searching and then of course the 3 months of insurance requirements. I think people assume they know about these surgeries when in fact they don't. Just follow your path! Don't let them get you down, and if all else fails, just tell me to shut the h*ll up! :P

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that! I don't use Facebook (for many reasons, LOL) but I would imagine that making a general post like that would likely trigger some less-than-supportive responses, particularly if you have lots of acquaintances through FB who aren't sensitive to your feelings or just don't know your story. And, as we all know, EVERYONE is an expert on YOUR weight loss. ;)

I have told certain friends that I'm close to (usually the ones that I eat with quite a bit, because things will definitely change there!) as well as some coworkers and my boss. All but a few people have been incredibly supportive and are very excited for me. I had a similar experience as AudOne, where someone I thought would be really supportive surprised me by not being very supportive. She said that she had an aunt and a cousin who had the surgery and they developed other issues (which I later learned were replacing food with alcohol abuse, etc) so she said she was just "concerned," but it still hurt that she wasn't as supportive as I had expected.

Hang in there and just think about how fierce you'll feel when you're healthy! They may just be jealous that you're taking charge and changing your life...I find that to be a fairly common issue of naysayers re: weight loss surgery.

Good luck! We're always here to support you. :)

Thanks guys! I have really kind of found out who my friends are..and who are not. So sad :( but yes, ultimately its my decision and Im gonna do me for a little while instead of putting everyone else ahead of me. yep!

When I told my dad and sister they both thought I was crazy. My dad's significan other told me I shouldn't do it. My sister said that she would stay fat instead of having to go through all the pre-op stuff. Thankfully my husband is very supportive about the surgery. He knows how many mornings I get up and have a hard time walking because of the pain in my knees. I just want to be able to get off my blood pressure meds, the cpap machine and walk like a normal 47 year old instead of an 87 yrs old because of the pain in my knees. I know I want this and I know that with the support of my husband and God's will I can do this.

Ugg! That must be so aggravating. I've told my friends and most of my coworkers. Everyone has been super supportive. But.. The first person I told was a friend /coworker of mine. I thought he'd be a good first person to tell bc he is quite obese as well and is usually a very positive/ upbeat person. I was shocked and a little crushed when he tried to talk me out of it and had negative comments. But, aside from that, others have been supportive and encouraging (but I have kept it off FB). I just had to remember, although I was sharing this experience, the choice was personal. I didn't share for discussion, I shared out of joy.

can't do much about co works but maybe your frienrds will get on board when they see how happy and how good you are going good luck

I learned to not bring it up again with the person (it was my aunt) who was against the surgery. I just continued with all my appointments and had my surgery, I am now down over 150 lbs and happy.

I had this surgery for me and so I could have a happy healthy life with my spouse and kids.

Remember this is for you, not them!

thanks so much you guys!

Thanks guys! I have really kind of found out who my friends are..and who are not.

This kind of learning is not a bad thing. Better to find out this way than a time when you would depend on them.

very true!!! :)

Wow, so sorry to hear that their reaction was that bad. I never did a big announcement to my general friends. If I see them I'll tell them about it one on one. If I hear anything negative, it generally sounds like they're a bit scared. It's a bit confusing, but it's almost like they're worried that now they're going to have to do this too. Some of them would benefit (the ones with diabetes especially) but all I can do is tell them the positive that has come of this for me. It's a decision that we alone need to make for ourselves.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. This is why I didn't tell a soul other than my immediate family and boss. I have enough stress in my life without inviting it. Hope it turns for the better for you soon :D

I made the mistake of announcing on Facebook that I was having this procedure' date=' Lesson learned! Never again! I am "crazy" and Ive been lectured for weeks now about how I should "try Weight Watchers" or here's the best...wait for it...."just stop eating" hahahahhahahahahah I cant! what did you guys say when people tell you negative things about the sleeve procedure or weight loss surgery in general? my favorite thus far has been, "you don't have the will power, your going to over eat & be very sick the rest of your life"...nice right? thankfully my family is on board but friends & coworkers are brutal! ugh![/quote']

Don't feel bad...i joyously announced becoming a sleevers and one of my plus size friend called me traitor. Still mad at me.