Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ensure,Carnation Instant Breakfast, Slim Fast

Does anyone drink these?

I don't know about the carnation instand Breakfast but my surgery list specifically said no to the ensure and slim fast, I think it has too much sugar...Premier Protein Shakes are really good and high in Protein and low in sugar...

No..... my NUT told me that these are not good to use....

I got a list of ensure, boost, carnation, slim fast, Atkins and a few others for my first few weeks after surgery. I was ridiculed on this forum by being told these are not what I am supposed to drink. But my dr assigned these.

I don't, but primarily because in the race to get my Protein in each day, I need something with higher Protein counts than they offer. I'm in a battle with myself to try to drink zero calorie beverages other than Protein shakes - although that light Starbucks frappuccino this morning was tasty!

My doctor has told me to eat/drink whatever I can and want to - as long as I'm meeting my protein (70g/day), Fluid (64oz/day) and Vitamin requirements, THAT is all he cares about as I continue to heal!

I don't' date=' but primarily because in the race to get my Protein in each day, I need something with higher Protein counts than they offer. I'm in a battle with myself to try to drink zero calorie beverages other than protein shakes - although that light Starbucks frappuccino this morning was tasty!

My doctor has told me to eat/drink whatever I can and want to - as long as I'm meeting my protein (70g/day), Fluid (64oz/day) and Vitamin requirements, THAT is all he cares about as I continue to heal![/quote']

I was told no one gets the recommended amount of protein during the liquid phase.

Right aft surg i drank Instant BF sugar free with half scoop prot powder. Per my dr office. As time passed i went to more prot powder and less Instant BF, because it doesn't offer much in that area. Now, i keep on hand if i run out of powder, or to add half pkt to shake or coffee without too many cals. Its super expensive too, compared to tub of prot powder!

My surgeon suggested Carnation Instant Breakfast... But the NO SUGAR ADDED one! Be careful with that. And I add unflavored Protein Powder to it. It's working well for me.

I was discouraged to use those by my NUTs post op care guide. They didn't feel that they had enough Protein.< /p>

Always follow your bariatric team's directions--if you shop around the forums, you'll find that there's as many versions of "the right thing to do/the wrong thing to do" as there are surgeons.

My NUT hasn't said anything one way or the other about these drinks, but I find I actually enjoy my Protein powder shakes, and it fits all the qualifications she set for me. And as LDallas said, a tub of Protein Powder is less expensive, just as convenient, and has more Protein. All I need is a blender-bottle and either Water or almond milk and I'm good to go.

Do whatever your surgeon recommends--when in doubt, that's the best source to go to!

I was told no one gets the recommended amount of Protein during the liquid phase.

Interesting...I was getting all of my Protein in (70g/day minimum) by Day 5 post-op...and was on liquids for 2 weeks.

Interesting...I was getting all of my Protein in (70g/day minimum) by Day 5 post-op...and was on liquids for 2 weeks.

Wow that's awesome. ..with my diet of only 2oz 3x per day it is very hard. Even if I have chicken all day I cannot get all the Protein in.

Wow that's awesome. ..with my diet of only 2oz 3x per day it is very hard. Even if I have chicken all day I cannot get all the Protein in.

Yikes! unjury Protein powders have been my secret! That and Chobani Greek yogurt!