Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should it Stay or Should it Go! (My Fat)

I went to the lake this weekend and could not put on a "XX" Life Jacket :mellow: oops. No huge deal, I am used to it and it is normal. I check the rides at universal studios to make certain I can fit in the seats then makeup an excuse not to ride it, if there is a chance it will be tight... My BMI is 41 and I am decent health, but I can feel myself getting older and my health is starting to not be as good as it was 2 years ago. I have 3 levels in my home and get tired walking up the stairs :). My last SUPER SERIOUS weight loss was 26 lbs last year, but it is all back... I am certain you understand.... My wife is starting to put pressure on me about my weight and she is right. Also, I want to be able to do things I used to do. However, I am SO SCARED of this process. I am scared of the liquid diet... How can you eat liquid for a month. No wonder you loose weight you are on a liquid diet. If I only ate liquid for a month now I would feel like I was gonna die and loose a lot of weight. I love to eat a steak dinner and have wine with my wife, will I give that up forever? I like to sit on the front porch and drink a beer and talk to my wife, will that be gone forever? My insurance will cover it, but I honestly am scared... If I ever reach my "Ideal Weight" how do you eat 2,000 cals a day to build/keep muscle when you stomach is gone... This is a difficult thought process for me and it feels like the weak way out. If I do it, I don't want to tell anyone except my wife and father (they will take care of me out of the hospital). Anyone have any thoughts?

I went to the lake this weekend and could not put on a "XX" Life Jacket :mellow: oops. No huge deal, I am used to it and it is normal. I check the rides at universal studios to make certain I can fit in the seats then makeup an excuse not to ride it, if there is a chance it will be tight... My BMI is 41 and I am decent health, but I can feel myself getting older and my health is starting to not be as good as it was 2 years ago. I have 3 levels in my home and get tired walking up the stairs :). My last SUPER SERIOUS weight loss was 26 lbs last year, but it is all back... I am certain you understand.... My wife is starting to put pressure on me about my weight and she is right. Also, I want to be able to do things I used to do. However, I am SO SCARED of this process. I am scared of the liquid diet... How can you eat liquid for a month. No wonder you loose weight you are on a liquid diet. If I only ate liquid for a month now I would feel like I was gonna die and loose a lot of weight. I love to eat a steak dinner and have wine with my wife, will I give that up forever? I like to sit on the front porch and drink a beer and talk to my wife, will that be gone forever? My insurance will cover it, but I honestly am scared... If I ever reach my "Ideal Weight" how do you eat 2,000 cals a day to build/keep muscle when you stomach is gone... This is a difficult thought process for me and it feels like the weak way out. If I do it, I don't want to tell anyone except my wife and father (they will take care of me out of the hospital). Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm pre op (scheduled for 7/16) so I have no real life experience with the sleeve, however, I'm 3 1/2 yrs post op with the lapband. I had the same concerns. Will I ever be able to eat at Olive Garden again? Will I ever be able to enjoy a cheeseburger? Or a glass of wine? Or beer?

Here's the answer: You won't know till you're there. I was told I could eat whatever I could tolerate (and most banders can't eat bread, rice, or pasta). And after the first 6 mths of trial and error, I could go to Olive Garden and eat Pasta again (about 1/4 of a serving). I can still eat a good cheeseburger (I can eat 1/3 of a Red Robin burger), and still eat bread (about 1/2 to 1 pc a day). I had to slow down my eating and stop when my body says to stop.

Most lapbanders say no to carbonation. I didn't drink any soda for about a yr post op. Was afraid my stomach would blow up. The first sip I had of Diet Pepsi was heavenly. Still to this day, I can only have 2-3 sips of soda (I never order my own, will sip on hubbys). Same with beer. I'm a rebel, a rule breaker- you might not want to take my advice. :)

I don't count calories or measure anything. I eat till my stomach tells me to stop (or I did until my band slipped). There's nothing I can't tolerate. In the early days, pancakes were a bit hard for me, but over time, I tolerated them well.

So, your question: Am I gunna be able to enjoy the things I enjoy now? Absolutely. Just not nearly as much as you're used to enjoying. And since you can't eat but a few bites, you want to enjoy those bites as much as possible (at least thats what I'm figuring).

Remember, I don't have a sleeve yet, so take my words with a grain of salt. I am post band so I do know a little about what I'm saying.

Good luck!!!

Hi there, I can relate to all you wrote about. Do your research , and decide for yourself. That said......I worried about all those things. Eight months post op, I have no regrets. None. My energy is soaring. My blood work shows I am getting everything my body needs. I never feel hungry. I do feel at times that I need to eat. Like my body needs nourishment. And my small portions fill me up. Protein first, then vegetables, fruit......I know this is hard to imagine from where you are, so you'll have to take our word for it. Like I said, do a lot of research. I'm so happy I did this. My diabetes is greatly improved. From four injections a day to no meds at all! That alone makes it all worth it!

Ps. I two enjoy a steak and a glass of wine. My steak is about four ounces now, with slivers of blue cheese on top. That does it. I can't touch the baked potatoe any more. Too full. As for the wine, I sip some before my meal, and some awhile after my meal. I'm not missing out on anything!

There are changes to be made, especially for the first 6-12 months post op, but I will go out on a limb and say "never say never" when it comes to the post-op rules.

i'm 8 weeks out. I eat anything I want. Granted, I made a lot of changes to my diet pre-op and "what I want" isn't the same as it was a year ago... I've made my share of sacrifices, but I never was a beer drinker and stopped drinking sodas about 10 years ago, so it was never a big deal to me that I couldn't drink carbonated drinks.

I think it's important to know why something is on the "DO NOT DO THIS AFTER SURGERY" list before deciding whether or not the rule applies to you. I'm not advocating going against drs orders, I'm simply saying that we're human and we have to make choices for ourselves, also.

Beer/alcohol is full of calories, as I'm sure you know. Also, when you have a reduced stomach, you absorb the alcohol faster and can affect you much differently than it did pre-op. Also, as you lose weight, it takes less to get you intoxicated. Many people struggle with cross-addictions - meaning they no longer have food as a comfort, so they indulge in booze or drugs instead. For these reasons, and I'm sure others, it is not recommended that you have alcohol for 6-12 months post-op.

Beer/carbonated drinks, besides being full of calories/carbs, are also more likely to give you painful gas. Again, with the reduced capacity of your stomach, filling it with tiny air bubbles can cause gas, pain, bloating, cramping - all unpleasant side effects that are easily avoided by not drinking these things. However, some people never have these problems. You'll only know if you can tolerate it if you try it. But because of the other reasons listed, again, you should avoid these things 6-12 months post-op.

That's not to say you can never have these things again! You'll have to try them out when you're ready. And you may find you don't have a taste for it anymore by that point - or that you need much, much less of it to be satisfied. You will be healthier and happier and will find new, wonderful, fun hobbies to share with your wife!

Why does it feel like a weak way out? Surgery is not fun or easy.

How is a 4 week post op liquid diet possible?

What do you think about not telling anyone except a very small circle?

How do you maintain your weight and build muscle after you reach your goals, if you can't eat?

I am pre-op, getting sleeved 7/8, and on day 4 of a pre-op liquid diet. This is the part I was most scared about. How can a person just not eat?! But, you know, it isn't all that bad. I'm a little tired and I have to have broth and tea all the time so I don't feel hungry.

But I think it's worth it and I think it's possible. Also I think if you've been obese then you've been through a lot and you can get through this, too.

How do you maintain your weight and build muscle after you reach your goals' date=' if you can't eat?

[/quote']

It is possible. I am week 2 post op and am on full liquids (apple sauce, pudding, Greek yogurt). I didn't even tell my family until I started going through the process and only my best friend knew. I announced it to "the world" on Facebook about a week before my surgery. I had support from everyone! I'm sure exercise and Protein is the key to building the muscle and maintaining weight. You can eat, but as everyone has said, not as much.

How do you maintain your weight and build muscle after you reach your goals' date=' if you can't eat?

[/quote']

I was sleeved just Monday, June 24th & I wondered the same thing. I drink my Protein first and with our new tummys

being as big as a shot glass, you'll find it hard to get it down. I get a very full feeling & haven't had an appetite so far. Next week I can enjoy more Soups and such. Looking forward to it. It's strange, but happy, & I'm not having Any issues.

I think the key to building muscle is make sure you are eating/drinking your daily allowance of Protein alongside with excersice.

As far as not telling anyone but a few people, I personally think it's fine. I myself told my hubby, mom, sister, 2 other sleever friends, & 2 childhood friends & my pastor & his wife. I don't want to hear others negative opinions or comments on how I took the easy way out. So hopefully you will be fine in whatever decision uou make. Good luck and keep us posted!

Is an abundance of food more important than your health and extra years spent with your wife?

[/quote']

Every surgeon is different on what their diet is. It's is based on what you can handle. Rest assured, you're not the only one who has asked these questions, and asking the surgeon or NUT would be good on the post op diet. Mine was a week of Clear liquids, 2 weeks of soft non-meats (which I'm currently in) and then start adding meats and such in. It is possible to survive it and thrive on it, just work on Protein, and there's multiple ways to get it.

As a guy, I understand your concerns. I only told a few people. Others have figured it out on their own. I'm not ashamed, just not wanting to answer all the questions. You decide who you tell. Just make sure you have a great support group. That starts with your wife, who sounds like she wants your better health. Most importantly, do this for you and no one else. You're only going to be successful if you are doing this for the right reason - your desire to get healthier and live longer.

Good luck to you!

As for maintaining, I imagine the Protein and exercise helps you maintain. You get to a point where your metabolism works with the calories you're giving it and with appropriate exercise you'll keep gain in check.

I have my 1st Dr. Appointment tomorrow.

I have my 1st Dr. Appointment tomorrow.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Your worries are minuscule my friend! You will be able to enjoy a glass of wine, maybe a beer (I can't do beer but many can). You will adjust to your new life. A few hard months are nothing compared to a living the rest of your life healthy. I'm 8 months out and I can eat anything I want. The only thing that kinda sucks is not being able to drink with meals. Well worth it though.

I had my dr apt today. The dr said i was a good candidate for any procedure. I told him I was leaning towards the sleeve.

They scheduled my nutritionist apt for 7/31. That sucked so I called and asked if they had a cancelation and said I would come whenever. Now I am going on Friday morning.

I think Friday is when my 90 day time clock starts. So I may be done in OCT or Nov. my biggest obstacle will be getting my PCP to think it us a good idea. I have never talked to him about my weight and he may hate WLS. I say it may be my biggest obstacle, but only because it is unknown.